Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,295,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Has Bachman gone off the deep end here???

This is nutty as hell. I'd need to see or hear this entire interview here because it sounds just too nutty to be true. I know Bachman can say some off the wall stuff, but come on now.

Michele Bachmann Suggests Labor Camps for Immigrant Children

During an interview with Minnesota’s Twin Cities News Talk, Bachmann revealed her plan while addressing the border crisis. “I’m calling on all of us, Obama and Congress and everyone, to chip in and build special new facilities… `Americanization’ facilities, if you will. And we’d send these kids to these facilities, in Arizona and Texas and wherever else. And we’d get private sector business leaders to locate to those facilities and give these children low-risk jobs to do. And they’d learn about the American way of life, earn their keep, and everyone wins in the end.”

Conservative radio host Jason Lewis asked Bachmann about the camps, and what life might be like for the children sent to them. “Well, we’d of course want these facilities to be ideal, you know, for the children to work and learn. They’d spend half of their day working, and the other half learning what every child should learn, and that’s English, you know, English and American history. And as soon as they learn English with some degree of fluency, they can attend local schools, maybe with a voucher program, or something like that. And then they could work when they aren’t in school.”
We would have to build a lawn the size of Wyoming for them to work on.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM

63,003 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Being in the U.S. illegally is against the law, but it is a civil violation, not a criminal one. Anyone can see the 1893 Decision Fong Yue Ting vs. U.S. for help on that, and you can easily access the opinions via a Google search. What that means is that deportation is not a criminal punishment in the same way that incarceration is; it is rather an enforcement of civil law, which in and of itself implies nothing about criminal wrongdoing.

While it might be true that those who commit civil violations somehow then go on to commit criminal ones, that is a whole 'nother issue to be argued, and it should be argued as such, with sufficient evidence.

As it is now, to the best of my understanding, Fong Yue Ting vs. the U.S. is still the law of the land regarding immigrants, as old as it is, and adjudications over the legality of immigration still remains under the purview of civil law, which is why such legality is handled by the Exec and Legislative Branches in the alleged name of national security. That latter factoid also helps explain why the U.S. was able to *legally* detain Japanese Americans during WWII, even though they were citizens (see Nisei, Sansei, and Issei for further reference). The U.S. was able to do that by violating Japanese Americans civil rights by making national security arguments, which should give all of us pause.

What Bachman is suggesting is technically illegal, because it involves detaining juveniles (among others) who have committed no violation of a criminal statute. Deportation would be the logical legal recourse based on existing U.S. law, but a discussion of that would depend upon people knowing what such law is and being able to distinguish between civil and criminal law.
Not this splitting of hairs again. The point and fact is that they are here in violation of our immigration laws and are subject to deportation.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Being in the U.S. illegally is against the law, but it is a civil violation, not a criminal one. Anyone can see the 1893 Decision Fong Yue Ting vs. U.S. for help on that, and you can easily access the opinions via a Google search. What that means is that deportation is not a criminal punishment in the same way that incarceration is; it is rather an enforcement of civil law, which in and of itself implies nothing about criminal wrongdoing.

While it might be true that those who commit civil violations somehow then go on to commit criminal ones, that is a whole 'nother issue to be argued, and it should be argued as such, with sufficient evidence.

As it is now, to the best of my understanding, Fong Yue Ting vs. the U.S. is still the law of the land regarding immigrants, as old as it is, and adjudications over the legality of immigration still remains under the purview of civil law, which is why such legality is handled by the Exec and Legislative Branches in the alleged name of national security. That latter factoid also helps explain why the U.S. was able to *legally* detain Japanese Americans during WWII, even though they were citizens (see Nisei, Sansei, and Issei for further reference). The U.S. was able to do that by violating Japanese Americans civil rights by making national security arguments, which should give all of us pause.

What Bachman is suggesting is technically illegal, because it involves detaining juveniles (among others) who have committed no violation of a criminal statute. Deportation would be the logical legal recourse based on existing U.S. law, but a discussion of that would depend upon people knowing what such law is and being able to distinguish between civil and criminal law.
Diva, did you see my other posts? Being in the country illegally is only a civil offense (if they haven't been previously deported) as I acknowledged. However, actually crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor even on the first offense (it's a felony for subsequent offenses). They certainly can be "charged" with the civil law violation of simply being here illegally or a separate civil law violation for illegal entry in some cases and probably usually are, but they can be criminally charged as well.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,587,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Doing what Leftists always do ... play "fast and loose" with the truth. This is what Democrats (Leftists all) have always done in an attempt to destroy their opponents, just as they did to Sarah Palin (and still do — "I can see Russia from my house"), and Mitt Romney.

This is called "bearing false witness." It's an egregious sin. What does this say about you?
If Palin had said, "I can see Russia from my house", it would have been one of the smarter things she has ever uttered.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If Palin had said, "I can see Russia from my house", it would have been one of the smarter things she has ever uttered.
Yep. Sarah Palin destroyed herself, and didn't need any liberals to do it for her.
The woman is a self-serving moron of the highest order.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,757,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yep. Sarah Palin destroyed herself, and didn't need any liberals to do it for her.
The woman is a self-serving moron of the highest order.
yet liberals keep her relevant in my country (not yours).

Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times
This woman is a stark raving lunatic, so naturally conservatives are drawn to her like flies to ****.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm not ready to jump to conclusions, this sounds too ridiculous to be true, but if it were, she's really out of her freaking mind.

The difference is, I may be a conservative, but i'm not a partisan, i call them like i see them. Too many liberals would never call out a democrat politician for saying something ignorant, they's deflect and make up excuses, or justify it in some pretzel logic way.

Thank You. I say it all the time, the difference between us and them, we are not pigheaded, and stubborn as a mule, like there President.

We can call things out, they absolutely refuse truth of any kind. The problem is liberals won't call out a scum democrat politician but have no problem when the shoe is on the other foot. What does this make them

There excuses, are exactly that, nothing more then a excuse to justify their nonsense?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Oh, please.

You can oppose the crazy fringe while still being conservative.
And, who is the "crazy fringe?" The 'Tea Party?' And what makes them "crazy," in your view?

Michelle Bachmann is not "crazy," and neither is Sarah Palin. They make more sense than the so-called conservatives that are really just promoting the status quo.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:02 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Not according to the right wing nut jobs!!!!! In their twisted little minds if you're not a complete nut bar or azzhat then you can't be a conservative. Their existence guarantees the slow death of an intelligent conservative alternative. Such a thing does exist you know but is being drowned out by the RWNJ idiots!
So, one who insists we respect and adhere to the Constitution has a "twisted little mind" and isn't an "intelligent conservative." Is that what you are saying?

Why can't a Constitutionalist win? Why is it that only those who believe the Constitution is an "outdated" document that can be ignored are worthy of consideration?

You people make me sick to my stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.