Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you comfortable with the Ebola victims being brought to the US?
Yes 54 50.00%
No 54 50.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden avoided claiming that this strain of Ebola is not airborne. If Ebola is airborne, we are all screwed.
I'm currently reading "The Hot Zone." It's the true account of Ebola research in the US.

In the first days of testing, several monkeys who were housed across the room from Ebola infected monkeys developed Ebola. There was no physical contact between the healthy monkeys and the infected monkeys. The cages were quite a distance from each other. How did these healthy monkeys get Ebola from monkeys who couldn't touch them, and whose body secretions were not near them?

I haven't finished the book, so maybe I'm going to find out that somehow or another the body fluids from the sick monkeys got on the healthy monkeys. I hope so. Otherwise, Ebola apparently can be spread through the air.

Has anyone read that book? Wow, I can't put it down. It goes into great detail about the Ebola virus - and horrific detail about it's effect on the human body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Hopefully the serum given to the patients will continue to improve their condition. So far the results are promising.
Good news, as long as they keep them boxed up for at least a year to make sure these witch doctors aren't helping the virus mutate to something 100X worse.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
I wasn't sure how to vote. I am not completely "comfortable" with the Ebola victims being brought here, but after some reading and reflection, I think it was the right move. I think the risk of infection here, where there are only two patients and a large team of medical professionals, is vastly smaller than the risk they took in Africa, where there were scores of patients, a larger population that has been exposed, and only a small number of very overworked healthcare providers. There is a much smaller chance for human error under the US conditions.

I also think this is a chance to try to confront the disease using top of the line technology and facilities, before it reaches our shores by accident, from somebody traveling from an infected area. I would rather have the US have some first hand experience in dealing with it, than have it surprise us later. Given the global nature of our society these days, it seems likely that this will happen sooner or later.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm currently reading "The Hot Zone." It's the true account of Ebola research in the US.

In the first days of testing, several monkeys who were housed across the room from Ebola infected monkeys developed Ebola. There was no physical contact between the healthy monkeys and the infected monkeys. The cages were quite a distance from each other. How did these healthy monkeys get Ebola from monkeys who couldn't touch them, and whose body secretions were not near them?

I haven't finished the book, so maybe I'm going to find out that somehow or another the body fluids from the sick monkeys got on the healthy monkeys. I hope so. Otherwise, Ebola apparently can be spread through the air.

Has anyone read that book? Wow, I can't put it down. It goes into great detail about the Ebola virus - and horrific detail about it's effect on the human body.
That was Ebola Reston.

Humans can't catch that strain.

Although anything is possible, viruses can mutate so eventually Ebola Reston would jump from monkey host to human.

They're claiming it can't be caught airborne. But, it's body fluids. If someone with a cold sneezes they project vapor and virus in a sneeze, who's to say it can't be caught that way too?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM

409 posts, read 512,207 times
These people are US citizens.

They need to be brought back home for treatment.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The question is straightforward enough.
no risks to anyone, so I don't care about him/her being brought to the United States. There has to be a real risk to US citizens for us to care. . .there isn't

on the other hand, who the f' pays for this? I'd hate to see the bill. The ROI here looks pretty low on the cost. I'm against spending the money versus any other issue with the transport.

Being a US citizen doesn't mean free pressurized travel when you get sick. don't see THAT in the bill of rights.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

Monkeys throw faeces at each other.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:

The coincidence that has occurred during obama's reign will provide endless material for fiction writers.
The cry of horror was heard about all the diseases the unencumbered arrival of illegal imigrants form the south. TB, chickenpox, and other really horrible insect born pathologies. Well just in time ebola arrives!
Forget the southern mainline and distribution of unchecked disease enabled and conducted by Obama's invitation. that has all been displaced by ebola.

Good job Obama handlers and what luck!

The media is more than ready to mimic the OJ white bronco slow chase with the white ebola vehicle slowly cruising down the highway as reality is now indistinguishable from fantasy.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times

Why Obama Brought Ebola To U.S. Exposed: Special Report - YouTube

Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Lol!Infowars?

He says it's a government psychological operation to promote terror.
If anyone knows about promoting terror, it's Alex Jones. Everything is a conspiracy and everything is a plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies