Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
So its not that Brown shouldn't have ran at the police officer, its that the police officer should have locked himself inside and hid?

And what do you imagine backup would do when they arrived and saw someone threatening another police officer? Should they stay in their car too?
In this situation, kinda. It reminds me of having a fast car or an attack dog. You know what it can do
when someone taunts you about it, but you aren't stupid enough to have to prove it for someone
else's immaturity.

There was ample time between their exchanges and the supposed rushing toward the police officer,
even according to the officer's friend account.

See my other post. Yes, when back up got there, maybe as a group they could have
ascertained the situation better. IMO, Brown would have already fled. Or if he had stayed,
a taser gun would have sufficed.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Three days ago ellemint posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
His friend Johnson has lost all credibility. By lying, he himself, has done that. The other witnesses, yes, maybe their testimony is credible.

I don't understand why the police didn't release this info earlier. It would have made some difference if they had said an unarmed young man who was a suspect in a robbery was shot while he was being apprehended. Not that killing Michael Brown was justified, but it puts things in a different light.
And then today, we get all these:

Quote:
I never said he was shot execution style. But his friend Dorian Johnson implied that Michael Brown had turned around, and was in the process of raising his hands and going on his knees. That's what he said.
Quote:
He was not an accomplice to a felony. He was present. When Michael Brown handed Johnson a box of cigars, Johnson turned around and put the box back on the counter saying "I don't do this." THat's from the police report.
Quote:
Nothing is for sure, but Dorian Johnson thought that Michael was shot once in the altercation with Wilson at the car door, and then that his body jerked while he was running away, which was likely from a bullet. So that's a couple of bullets.

One of the witnesses describes two shots fired separately with some time between them, and then a flurry of gunshots.
Quote:
Dorian Johnson said right from the beginning that Michael Brown had turned around and was starting to get on his knees and was raising his arms when the bullets to the face and chest caused him to fall forward on his face, dead.
Quote:
You may not think these three witnesses are credible, but I guarantee you the law will. Three--separate--witnesses. It doesn't matter if they lived in a low-income neighborhood or have accents you don't like. Johnson was right there at the scene. His testimony is going to be crucial. ANd remember HE did not steal anything.

These wild swings from completely destroyed credibility to number one, most important and trusted witness make it hard to discuss anything with a person.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
The parents the community and all these people who are so loudly condemning the police are going to go BALLISTIC!!

Tonight is not going to be pretty.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I didn't sweep anything under the rug! You did by clipping my comment!

BTW, we do have some insight (convenience store video) into the mentality of Brown. I guess that video is a bit of history of Brown's MO!
Yes, we always execute folks who take $48.99 boxes of cigars.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
When played the tape of the caller the person who is close to the investigation confirmed to CNN that this is the officers account.

We need to see the officers report to know what is recollection of events. We have not seen the actual report so anything outside the report is speculation. I personally think the officer faces a uphill battle. If Brown was killed 35 ft away from him he is going to have a difficult time explaining how he was defending himself with the suspect that far away. He can only fire his weapon if the suspect was endangering him or someone else. A shot fired in the car during a altercation is valid reason for shooting someone. 35 ft is good distance when one person has a gun and the other person does not. For this to be justified a logical person would have to believe that a altercation took place, Brown decided to run, after being shot at Brown thought a better plan would be to pivot around and charge the officer without a firearm. I would like to think I am a logical thinking person and would think this scenario is highly unlikely. Mr. Brown would have to have wanted to die by suicide in order to charge a officer with a automatic weapon. Sure it could happen but it seems highly unlikely. I think the officer is going to have a uphill climb on this one.

Reggie

Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No. I am just saying, what other version would anyone expect to hear from the "officer's friend".

Like I said, this case is going to be determined by the forensic/ballistic and autopsy results.
Everything else will be secondary.

But one has to ask, if the cop was being taunted by the youths, why engage IF the guy was
6' 4" 300 pounds, why not just call back up. Though he was large, he was not a gorilla that
was going to pounce on the police car windows, was he?

I've read many refuts to Brown being shot in the back, but that he was facing forward.
Why did the officer confront Brown? Because it's that officer's job to do so. On the other hand, Brown also had a duty to obey the instructions and not attack the police officer. It appears Brown chose to not do so. At the end of the day, if Brown charged the officer, the culpability for his death lies only upon himself.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Obviously, if the officer's account is accurate (and it is consistent with Brown's behavior in the convenience store video which the officer would have no knowledge of at the time), the officer had little time to react. The officer needed to rapid fire shots at Brown while being charged at a fast pace by Brown. As the shot to the forehead caused Brown to fall forward, the next bullet was already fired and caught the top of Brown's head as he fell forward.

I am sure there are cases of police over reach and perhaps some racism, but this is not one of them. If Brown had any ounce of respect for the law, I am sure he would still be alive.
I was really hesitant at first to go off a radio show called until I heard CNN's separate source seemed to confirm what the caller said.

We've all heard of cops doing horrible or dumb things. But from the get go, it really seemed unlikely that nothing provoked the shooting. It was broad daylight, with other people around. Some had lead us to believe that the cop simply stopped to harass to black guys based on their skin color, and ended up murdering one of them over nothing. That was just so far fetched from the get go.

I think from the start, people should've remained calm. IMO, there wasn't even a need for a protest. They had little info at the time. The sad part is, is this new info going to bring calm? Most likely not. Some of them will refuse to believe this new account if it proves true.

And people like Sharpton and others, jumping on this train earlier on, didn't help. Almost every time these sort of folks fan the flames, they prove to be wrong. They never wait for the reports or investigations. And by that time, the damage is done.

Now we may learn some new things that could hurt the cop. But either way, people in that town and across the country just need to calm the hell down and let things play out.

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes, we always execute folks who take $48.99 boxes of cigars.
You seem to be missing a lot of crucial information about what transpired. If you think the officer shot and killed because of stolen cigars, you need to read up on this situation.

If the officer was trying to arrest Brown for theft, Brown should have complied instead of punching the officer in the face. Wouldn't you agree?

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
We need to see the officers report to know what is recollection of events. We have not seen the actual report so anything outside the report is speculation. I personally think the officer faces a uphill battle. If Brown was killed 35 ft away from him he is going to have a difficult time explaining how he was defending himself with the suspect that far away. He can only fire his weapon if the suspect was endangering him or someone else. A shot fired in the car during a altercation is valid reason for shooting someone. 35 ft is good distance when one person has a gun and the other person does not. For this to be justified a logical person would have to believe that a altercation took place, Brown decided to run, after being shot at Brown thought a better plan would be to pivot around and charge the officer without a firearm. I would like to think I am a logical thinking person and would think this scenario is highly unlikely. Mr. Brown would have to have wanted to die by suicide in order to charge a officer with a automatic weapon. Sure it could happen but it seems highly unlikely. I think the officer is going to have a uphill climb on this one.

Reggie
I agree the full report needs be aired. Bear in mind it takes about 3 seconds for a man to run 35 feet. even less if he is going full bore.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
In this situation, kinda. It reminds me of having a fast car or an attack dog. You know what it can do
when someone taunts you about it, but you aren't stupid enough to have to prove it for someone
else's immaturity.

There was ample time between their exchanges and the supposed rushing toward the police officer,
even according to the officer's friend account.

See my other post. Yes, when back up got there, maybe as a group they could have
ascertained the situation better. IMO, Brown would have already fled. Or if he had stayed,
a taser gun would have sufficed.

You're assuming a whole lot and the reality is that if Brown charged the officer, the officer did the only sensible thing at that point.

No a police officer isn't going to go run and hide, nor do they have a duty to, they are the police after all.

If you charge the police aggressively, you're probably not the sharpest knife in the shed anyways so if thats what happened, Brown should probably be a Darwin Award contender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies