Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
In your entirely uninformed opinion...sure. Just this morning you were under the impression that police fired grazing shots. My opinion is that youve watched one too many movies.
I have never used the phrase "grazing shots" on this entire thread. You must have me mixed up
with someone else.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Not enough to shoot the guy Six, that's 6 times....

Unbelievable that, that amount of shots is even worth defending.
I agree, polly, but we weren't there. We never experienced the "scuffle" between these two men, nor were we in the situation the cop was in when he decided to shoot 6 times, or more.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
ALL of the witnesses? While none of them saying Brown was attacking the officer.

So ALL of the witnesses are just out to get a cop?
Eyewitness accounts are not very credible for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
What did the person who was shot seven times do, bite the officer to death

And apparently it is not clicking with a lot of other folks either. That is excessive force - and deadly.
No, it's not Hollywood. Maybe Wilson should have stopped playing video games and snapped into
reality that the young man was not the boogie man either.

Excessive in your opinion, which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but its only your opinion.

If someone is enough of a threat for you to fire once at, they are enough of a threat to fire six times at or however many times it takes to stop the threat.

Its not excessive, its basic firearms practice. If you're going to shoot, you keep shooting until the threat is over. If someone is running at you and you hit them once and they are still running at you, you shoot a second time and you keep firing until they are no longer coming at you.

Your definitions exist only in you're own mind. There's not a single firearms training program that trains people with the misconceptions that you have.

Excessive force means using more force than is required for a situation. If you see someone as an imminent threat, particularly if they are charging you, there is no force that is excessive until they are stopped. Now once they are down, if you go and shoot them three more times, that would be excessive but that doesn't really seem to apply here.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually there was a third person, Johnson. Johnson's account directly conflicts with the autopsy. I have to wonder why Johnson felt the need to lie if Brown was an innocent victim.
To a degree I agree with you. However, Johnson was not in the car (truck, SUV, whatever) with Brown and Wilson. What if something were said in there? Could he really know that Brown did or did not reach for the gun? As you say, he has already lied.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I suspect you're right. It's not just blacks rioting now. One of the videos I watched had some white idiots doing so too.
Don't get me wrong. I am not for rioting or looting or any of that sort of thing.

But I am for setting a protocol that makes sense, e.g. fits the crime/action of an assailant.

You would have to be naive to think police officers do not abuse their power. When they
are wrong it needs to brought to light, so it does not happen again and again.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I have never used the phrase "grazing shots" on this entire thread. You must have me mixed up
with someone else.

I'm sorry, "maiming" I think is the word you used. You had the belief that the police would try to maim a suspect.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Eyewitness accounts are not very credible for a variety of reasons.
All of the accounts??

Even if there are minor disparities in their accounts, if their narrative doesn't change than why would you assume they're lying??

I'll wait for you to explain that one.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
All of the accounts??

Even if there are minor disparities in their accounts, if their narrative doesn't change than why would you assume they're lying??

I'll wait for you to explain that one.

All of the accounts? So far we've had three, all who have changed their stories to varying degrees. There are many other witnesses who have not come forward publicly but have been interviewed and have had their testimony recorded. You have no idea what these other witnesses may or may not have said.

But in general witnesses are unreliable, ten people can see the same incident and they all will see it differently, inserting their own varied biases into what they witnessed.

The key is the forensic data and varying other evidence which can eliminate faulty witness testimony...ie....Brown was shot in the back as some claimed.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Excessive in your opinion, which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but its only your opinion.

Your definitions exist only in you're own mind. There's not a single firearms training program that trains people with the misconceptions that you have.
Excessive in my opinion yes. A grand jury's more than likely. Most think six shots to an unarmed 18 year old, two of which were to the head IS excessive.

BTW, up to this point, there is no evidence that Brown was "charging" Wilson. If you have that
evidence, please provide the link for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies