Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

my theory is Brown was dancing an Irish jigg, and was shot multiple times. . .everyone knows there is that part in the dance where you kneel.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM

518 posts, read 764,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Two possible scenarios. However, scenario A. is unlikely. When one surrenders, they are told to put their hands behind their head and stay where they are at. Approaching the officer is an act of aggression.

That leaves us with scenario B.
It's still pretty remarkable how even before all the facts have come out (and yet to be determined) the court of public opinion have already condemned the LEO to basically be in Scenario A.

Scenario is B is obviously more likely. But we will see.

The autopsy fact has already come out that the kid was shot from the front and not the back so that takes away from the story that he as running away...also it takes away from the hands up story as well due to the shots to the top of the head.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think there's a good chance that a lot of what you've said here is true. I'll add that he didn't know the cop didn't know he had robbed the convenient store, and that's where his conscious really kicked in....after being confronted by the police. I'm thinking an overreaction Michael's part is probably a huge part of this equation.

As far as charging the police officer, i'm curious to find out to what degree he charged the officer, if any, and at what point the officer fired his weapon.
Conscience kicked in. Uh, doubt it. He'd just committed a strong arm robbery. He might have overreacted, but not because of any remorse over the theft. More like he was afraid of getting caught. Wonder when he had turned 18. Might have made a difference in his overreaction.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Conscience kicked in. Uh, doubt it. He'd just committed a strong arm robbery. He might have overreacted, but not because of any remorse over the theft. More like he was afraid of getting caught. Wonder when he had turned 18. Might have made a difference in his overreaction.
I can agree with this. Maybe less concsious, and more afraid of getting caught.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You need to study the ways of your enemy then.

I grew up in the ghetto. Someone mentioned folks sleeping below the window line in Ferguson. Been there.

I don't fear the police. I am extremely cognizant of them and their procedures. This is the result of

A. Growing up in the ghetto
B. Earning 2 criminal justice degrees and working in the field for nearly 20 years.

When I have been stopped/questioned by police in my adult life (in relation to another matter or my own actions -breaking traffic laws) not only have I never been detained, arrested, or cited nearly all the officers thank me for knowing how to interact with them (where to hold your hands, line of questioning).

If you're outright "afraid" of police you may want to go to your local police station, pick up a code book of local and state ordinances, and also ask some of the officers to go over how you can best interact with them in situations.
Just be careful when you do this, and try to film it, so if by chance, you get the only one in the whole wide world, that resents answering questions, but prefers to ask them and will elevate it to a resisting charge you will have some proof.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM

518 posts, read 764,002 times
Not to mention the fact that if they did the very very simple act of not walking down the middle of the roadway and simply stuck to the sidewalk....this entire fiasco might have been avoided.

But no they chose to walk down the middle of the roadway which initiated interaction with a LEO that ultimately led to the death of Mr. Brown.

Or even that if they obeyed the LEO and simply moved to the sidewalk this whole thing might've been avoided.

You just robbed a store, maybe you should try to be a little bit less conspicuous?

But of course the gentle giant, shy, homeboy was just on his way to see his grandmother when he was killed in cold-blood execution style by racist white LEO.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why not "impressed" with them? In what sense?

I was a dispatcher. It was classified in administrative within that particular force. You get some frantic calls. Tough job taking them. Gotta be much tougher going to them.

My experience has been cops are no different than the rest of the job sectors in our country: good ones and bad ones exist.
Most of them seemed to give only lip service to preventive services and working with youth to prevent them getting into gangs. There is usually an us and them attitude. Many are racist and stereotype young black men. THey are unnecessarily rough in their handling of those they arrest. Many see poor people as scum.

Not all, I'm sure there's some good cops, but it's the very system itself that rewards toughness not compassion, arrests, not letting kids go with a word of warning. I worked with the gang units so maybe cops in other departments are different.

On the other hand gang units work with some tough hardened scary people, so....

(I do like the TV detectives I see on The First 48

Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And if Brown did not stop approaching the officer in a threatening manner even after told to stop?
I'm not a cop and I don't know how threatened cops feels when they are the one with a gun and the
other guy doesn't have one.

But,
I would not go out of my way to shoot a dude simply because I stopped him in the middle of the street.
I'd either taz him or get back in my vehicle and ask for back-up if he was 300 lbs and 6' 4" and was getting out of hand.

If not for anything else, than knowing I could not physically handle an agitated individual of this size
and demeanor, by myself.

But, if I had the mindset I would shoot him instead, the physical differences would be irrelevant.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
As far as getting shot in the top of the head, I really don't have any problem envisioning this scenario. Some seem to think this is an improbable outcome unless the officer was doing something nefarious. I disagree. If Brown did in fact reach for the officers gun, then that would have immediately triggered a physical reaction from the officer including an attempt to stop the aggression. I can easily envision some sort of physical altercation with Brown's head down and the officer acting to stop the aggression by actually using the gun. Two shots to the head from the top in an altercation (if there was one) is not hard for me to envision at all.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Lock and load. Stay home or you will be shot as a looter. Time for the police to get serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies