Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times

Advertisements

It's pretty simple, if you're white and you don't think Obama is doing a good job as President, then I guess that qualifies as race relations getting worse because (OMG) Obama is black and only a racist would criticize him!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
After reading some of these comments, it once again reminds me of why I don't usually discuss anything here.

I hate politics and I seriously think some people only see the world as they WANT to see it, but not for what it is...

Old 09-01-2014, 05:29 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's pretty simple, if you're white and you don't think Obama is doing a good job as President, then I guess that qualifies as race relations getting worse because (OMG) Obama is black and only a racist would criticize him!!!
I've said this before, but there does seem to be a strong undercurrent that part of being white in America means hating President Obama. This didn't exist in 2009, and it's only gotten stronger since. That being said, opposing Obama is not racist unless one is doing it because he's black. I think it's more because Obama represents the opposition to the American ideals of hard work and self-reliance, even if that's not really true.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Let's see...do we know any politicians of any party to him this could not apply?
In my 20 years working as a political and legislative analyst I only ever ran across one. Many start out with high ideals but the twin lures of money and power soon take over.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This seems extremely difficult for some people to understand for some reason...
Actually it depends on the person, the people who are overly obsessed with politics seem to be very divided and angry people... the rest of us are doing just fine and we get along well with each other.

It seems extremely difficult for the politically obsessed people to understand that the majority of the people in this country aren't as obsessed with politics as they are for some reason.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Actually it depends on the person, the people who are overly obsessed with politics seem to be very divided and angry people... the rest of us are doing just fine and we get along well with each other.

It seems extremely difficult for the politically obsessed people to understand that the majority of the people in this country aren't as obsessed with politics as they are for some reason.
My post had more to do with race relations in this country and really nothing to do with politics...

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,837 times
That poll is BS and flawed.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default Pure nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That comes at no surprise to me. First, I think that Obama's run for president put a focus on US race relations. Then during his administration, incidents such as Trayvon Martin, Professor Gates became even more blown up because Obama would make press statements about the situation, and make them even more about race. Then there was a backlash of non-blacks being fed up with all of the African Americans' tantrums and riots using the race card as their excuse. It's sad that the Ferguson riots were no surprise to anyone because that is what blacks do when they are unhappy with a situation. And they smash and loot without apologies or feelings of guilt from innocent shopkeepers in their neighborhood.

I also think that white liberals thought that by voting in Obama as president, it was reparations for slavery in America, that it would make the lot of the black community better in a big way. But clearly that hasn't happened. I also have yet to see any young African Americans trying to emulate Obama and Michelle in mannerisms and lifestyle. They still seem to be more impressed with the likes of black rappers and athletes.
Yes, the perspective of black people on this matter is spot on. It's obvious that race relations have taken a dive.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Sisko View Post
White america is the only one fanning racial flames.

White america :
is the one constantly dehumanizing the president with racist rhetoric
is claiming hes from kenya
is the claiming hes a muslim,
is the one showing up to presidential events with weapons,
is the one lynching effigies,
is the one creating Racist propaganda VIA white owned and white oriented media outlets such as radio tv and news paper.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, race relations were never that good to begin with. President Obama doesn't have to do anything to divide people. We are already there, and were already there to begin with. All I have to do is start with so many threads here constantly complaining about Black Americans. Threads like "Blacks always vote Democrat" or "Blacks commit so much crime" and so on. We were already there.
It depends on which groups of people you're referring to when you're talking about race relations. If its between blacks and whites, while its far from great, its still better than it was several decades ago. And the main reason why it hasn't progressed even further is because blacks themselves keep screwing things up and holding things back.

Its hard to be friendly with a group of people when they're constantly causing trouble and where blacks not only can't be nice and civilized with people of a different ethnicity/race, they can't even be nice among themselves. In fact its mostly only blacks and Muslims who seem to have trouble and conflict with nearly EVERYONE.

The best and easiest way that blacks can have better relations with everyone is to simply COMMIT LESS CRIME. Its that easy. Just look at all the other people from around the world from various ethnicities, cultures and beliefs living mostly in peace with each other in the US. All these different groups of people co-existing and even often sharing their culture with each other and while each ethnicity might not be best friends with each other, at least they respect each other enough to be able to live in peace and civility most of the time which is something that blacks have repeatedly failed to do on a large scale for decades on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Except white people have little understanding of the black experience. It's not really that complicated. Also, on the ground when everyone actually interacts, a lot of these problems disappear if everybody tries to be understanding. But we've allowed ourselves to form silos. Also, we're getting to the point that to be white means you vote Republican, which has dramatically accelerated during Obama's presidency. To be fair, Obama has basically embraced the "other" moniker throughout his presidency and as a result, is not viewed very favorably. But I think the majority of white people, because Republicans are becoming increasingly accepting of differences that aren't choices, are seeing Obama and the Democrats as "other."
Also its PRECISELY when blacks interact with everyone else that the problems start to arise. For every one or few blacks that you meet that seem to be decent, there's at least one that you meet where you're wary of them and wonder if they're going to do you harm. And that's why racism and stereotypes exist. Just look at all the stories of non-blacks letting their guard down and trying to treat blacks like any other person and getting burned by it.

Non-blacks are pretty much screwed in western nations who are overly tolerant of such behavior and just as overly forgiving no matter how henious and brutal the crimes are. If we keep our guard up around blacks, we're racist for treating them all as criminals. If we let our guard down we risk losing ouir possessions, being injured or even killed by blacks for trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Its a no win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
After reading some of these comments, it once again reminds me of why I don't usually discuss anything here.

I hate politics and I seriously think some people only see the world as they WANT to see it, but not for what it is...
I think this perfectly describes many, MANY blacks in that they WANT to see themselves as the eternal victims of racism and discrimination and profiling etc. when the actual reality is that blacks THEMSELVES are most often the aggressors and are the root cause of much of the problems that they complain about.

In the alternate reality that many blacks live in, there's ALWAYS a reason or excuse to somehow justify or absolve themselves of their violent behavior and all the crime that they commit so that they don't have to put work into actually changing themselves and moving in a positive direction. I mean its much easier to simply blame everyone and everything but yourselves as to why blacks are the way they are. Its because they don't have enough community centers, or enough job opportunities or the government and police aren't reaching out enough to black communities etc etc etc. which is why they're doing so bad.

And its sad to see that even well educated blacks who go on various media channels for interviews on race relations say the EXACT same things. How can blacks move forward and improve when EVEN THESE educated blacks are circling the wagons and joining in on blaming everyone but themselves for their problems? Just like an alcoholic who can't admit he has a drinking problem, blacks just can't admit that race relations between them and everyone else in America isn't great because it has mostly to do with their behavior.

If blacks would simply change their behavior, race relations will improve automatically and in a significant way. How you ask? Because even if you never become friends with a black person in your life, you can now see blacks as people who are mostly not violent or criminal and that at least you can live and co-exist with in a peaceful manner. I think that's what most people want, to simply live their lives in a safe enviroment without always having to worry about a certain group of people screwing things up causing trouble and putting people's lives at risk. Again if blacks would just change and become better people, race relations would improve dramatically and everyone would be much happier for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies