Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And in many cases they are breaking the law. It is just the reality.

Nothing is illegal, until you get caught.

What you don't know will not hurt you. But when you find out, it may as well have killed you yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I carried a Buck Knife to school from 2nd grade on.
Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts, we were to have a knife on us at all times.
High school, we had our shotguns and rifles, either in our trucks or in our lockers.

My daughter is now 16, fixing to be 17. My daughter has the right to protect herself.
Just because of the way you raised your kids, makes you not trust them with a weapon, doesn't mean my daughter doesn't know right from wrong. That is why owning and possessing a weapon, is a natural INDIVIDUAL right and not statutory law. It is up to you the parent to educate your kid about life, liberty, respect and freedom.

My daughter shoots her .38 more than the renta-cop at school, packing a glock.... Yes, her .38
So what, so did I, still have a good knife on me everywhere I go, not to mention one of my handguns, I know many people that do the same.

Hmmm, don't know of too many kids that had guns in their lockers unless they were on a shooting team, you must have grown up waaaaaaay out in the boonies.
If the laws allow her to carry at school so be it, otherwise she is committing a crime, not a good lesson to teach a child.

Ahhh, I was waiting for the personal attack based on your ignorance and assumptions. I taught both my sons to shoot and both got a brand new 10/22 on their ninth birthdays and one went on to follow in the family tradition and served in the military and did three combat tours before getting out. I have zero trouble trusting either one of them around guns, otherwise why would not hunt together yearly. I taught my sons all of those things you mentioned and both are good men and citizens, it seems it is you that believes that you somehow have a monopoly on those qualities.

Not talking about a rent a cop, talking about combat vets returning to the civilian world, did you read my post all the way through? I doubt your daughters skills would compare to a combat vet, especially after they have received police training on how to deal with any issues that come up in a school. No fan of Glocks, do not like or own DOA handguns, in my opinion Glocks are overrated. A .38 is not a large gun, why would you think it is a big deal, my wife who is petite and 5'2" shoots her guns, a .357mag/9mm/.380/.22 all with ease and can even handle my .44mag after she got over the sense of holding a cannon. Maybe you can get your daughter a better self defense gun for her graduation, Ruger makes a nice .357 mag that is just right for a woman' smaller hands, look for a SP101, excellent sidearm.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Nothing is illegal, until you get caught.

What you don't know will not hurt you. But when you find out, it may as well have killed you yesterday.
Life is full of choices, each makes their own and each has to be responsible for their own.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Schools often have teachers that "multi-task" because there just isn't enough money to have a teacher doing something full time.

My buddy is the history teacher and fight stopper at his school.
My old coach taught health but also coached a few sports.

If you have someone with a background that can be the on-site first responder as well as teach Spanish or Math or whatever then I don't see the problem there. There are a bunch of ex-military police or people that have otherwise transitioned from police work to a different career path that might make good choices.
I know that and have no problem with teachers having them, already said that. And as I said I believe the best method is trained and experienced people providing Security, and I do not want them multitasking as teachers do, I want them doing the job they are there for.
So, are you disagreeing with what I said or not?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
So what, so did I, still have a good knife on me everywhere I go, not to mention one of my handguns, I know many people that do the same.

Hmmm, don't know of too many kids that had guns in their lockers unless they were on a shooting team, you must have grown up waaaaaaay out in the boonies.
There was no personal attack, in showing how you raise your kids, doesn't mean I raised mine the same as you.
After Vietnam, dad was stationed at Bergstrom AF Base(now the airport) with the Grim Reaper Bomber Squadron.
I went to S.F. Austin High, in west downtown Austin TX.
Class of 74.

Last edited by BentBow; 08-28-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Life is full of choices, each makes their own and each has to be responsible for their own.

Life won't be full of choices, if we let them keep taking the choices away.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
There was no personal attack, in showing how you raise your kids, doesn't mean I raised mine the same as you.
After Vietnam, dad was stationed at Bergstrom AF Base(now the airport) with the Grim Reaper Bomber Squadron.
I went to S.F. Austin High, in west downtown Austin TX.
Class of 74.
It is when I never said anything about how I raised my kids, you assumed and still seem to be doing so, is there some reason for that?

I grew up in Germany and then outside Abilene, father was stationed at Dyess AFB after we moved to the States, none of us had guns in our lockers, lived in Austin several times, never saw anyone doing it here either, must be a unique situation.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Life won't be full of choices, if we let them keep taking the choices away.
Curious, which choices are they taking away? I do not seem to have lost any ability to make choices as I see fit.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:53 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Growing up , my parents did not have car insurance because it was not the law yet.
That being said ,I was reminded this when every i was using their vehicles; an accident could cost the family our home .
I worked with my dad doing concrete and general construction and drove his dump truck and all the other vehicles with all care and never an accident or ticket . from the time I was 13 years old.
To say this ,
Carrying a gun with out a CCW can land you in deep trouble.
And in the event you feel threatened it becomes necessary ,at that point ,it doesn't matter.
The old adage I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, has great meaning.
Some states do not offer ccw just because you want it , you can spend the money and still be turned down, with out enough reason from their point of view.
Usually you have to be carrying large amounts of money as a part of your job.
I cary a knife that is legal ,and open cary a fixed blade from time to time as the law allows.
There is not a need at this point in my particular area to have to cary a gun ,but should that change I might make accommodating adjustments as well.
As for teachers carrying ,
they should be trained no matter what, EVEN IF THEY DO NOT OWN A GUN. It should be SOP
Self protection should be a responsibility every one shares ,and not thrown off on some one else .

Old 08-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Curious, which choices are they taking away? I do not seem to have lost any ability to make choices as I see fit.

You and I no longer have the option of open worship, without punishment and oppression. That choice is made for us.
They are trying like hell, to take the choice of what firearm you and I can own. I cannot legally own the fully automatic rifles I have now, without paying for and asking permission. The choice is made for us.
You and I no longer have a choice wheather I have health insurance or not. That choice is now made for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies