Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times

Advertisements

In Argyle Independent School District they have this warning sign outside schools.
What do you think?
The teachers that want to be armed do have to have some psychological testing and other requirements.
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/u...8.25.20-PM.png

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-28-2014 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: hotlinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 05:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i think that beating up teachers in that school is a very bad idea. however there are still people that think beating up armed cops is a great idea. i guess we will see an expansion of the difference of opinion instead of a contraction.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
I think it is one of the most intelligent ideas that I have seen come out of a school in years!
No "Gun Free Zone" there!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In Argyle Independent School District they have this warning sign outside schools.
What do you think?
The teachers that want to be armed do have to have some psychological testing and other requirements.

When I went to high school, we had our rifles or our shotguns, in our lockers, so we could go hunting with coach after school.

We had gun racks in our trucks, in the parking lot, with at least 2 long rifles.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
I think something like this could work in a small-town school district like Argyle, where everyone knows each other, but not in my kids' school district in Katy, Texas.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I think it's a particularly great idea .
Not just because of the violence issues ,but kids should learn gun safety and it being demonstrated by school teachers and staff.
They may not be getting it at home ,so that's good place to start.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When I went to high school, we had our rifles or our shotguns, in our lockers, so we could go hunting with coach after school.

We had gun racks in our trucks, in the parking lot, with at least 2 long rifles.
During History show and tell days in Jr.HS in the 1970s some kids would bring in WW2 firearms to show the kids and some older edged weapons-sabers, etc. from ancestors who carried them.

We never thought it unusual.

I can imagine the hue and cry now.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Bad idea and not workable in all communities. First off the teachers are not trained security or police officers and the odds are as much bad can come about from the move as good. Secondly not all teachers want to carry guns, especially around children, what happens when no one in the school wants to do it. Many crazies or criminals would have little fear of some teacher with a small handgun so I doubt it would proved as much security as some wish to believe.
A far better idea is to put returning vets back to work, they understand high tension situations and how to remain calm under fire, they are already trained in the use of firearms and only need training in how to react under the conditions they would be in. A win-win situation for all, the schools are secured by professional security, the schools become far safer, many vets would get a good job to support their family, and those police that spend time watching schools can be used to perform other duties such as catching criminals.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Bad idea and not workable in all communities. First off the teachers are not trained security or police officers and the odds are as much bad can come about from the move as good. Secondly not all teachers want to carry guns, especially around children, what happens when no one in the school wants to do it. Many crazies or criminals would have little fear of some teacher with a small handgun so I doubt it would proved as much security as some wish to believe.
A far better idea is to put returning vets back to work, they understand high tension situations and how to remain calm under fire, they are already trained in the use of firearms and only need training in how to react under the conditions they would be in. A win-win situation for all, the schools are secured by professional security, the schools become far safer, many vets would get a good job to support their family, and those police that spend time watching schools can be used to perform other duties such as catching criminals.
Most districts don't have money to hire vets for the sole purpose of security.

People are not being forced to carry if they don't want to. The teachers that will carry are the same ones that carry outside of the classroom. The same ones that are less likely to commit crimes then average citizens.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Most districts don't have money to hire vets for the sole purpose of security.

People are not being forced to carry if they don't want to. The teachers that will carry are the same ones that carry outside of the classroom. The same ones that are less likely to commit crimes then average citizens.

My government teacher at Austin High, who was a lobbyist in DC at one time, always had his .38 in his pocket, during class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies