Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 PM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times

Advertisements

Yes.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
The other thing is Roger Goodall just suspended an excellent player 49er player Aldon Smith for 9 games

Also because of the Ray Rice debacle of the two game suspension.

Goodall came out with mandatory punishments for woman beaters.

Automatic 6 games suspension for the first offense.

And a lifetime ban for the second offense. With a chance to be re instated after a year.

Like Goidall just came out with that ruling 2 or 3 days ago.

To get into this so soon after Ray Rice so soon after Goodall's new rules is insane on Ray McDonald's part.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 PM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
In the last couple of weeks, a multitude of NFL players have been suspended or fined for situations that happened in their personal lives that did not affect their job performances. Here is an example.
Aldon Smith of San Francisco 49ers suspended nine games - ESPN

I used this example only because it is the most recent, it is one of many, but in a bigger context; Do you believe the NFL should suspend and/or fine its players based on their personal conduct ?

Im not asking this from a legal stand point, but from a personal ideological/philosophy one.

My personal belief is that a player should not be punished for a personal incident that does not affect their play on the field. I mean, what if your job had the same personal conduct policy and say you got drunk and arrested on your vacation and they suspended you for 6 months with no pay, would you be cool with that ?
Most jobs would fire someone who gets arrested. Most decent jobs, anyways. Only Senate, Congress and NFL, NBA can people get away with so many crimes and still be employed.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The players have a contract though.

Should the contract contain a morality clause? I don't know. I suppose it depends on which angle you view the issue from. The NFL wants people to watch their games and they want to be family friendly, so I suppose it makes sense.
I personally dont like morality clauses, it seems like a slippery slop to me.

I can understand the family values argument..... If this was Disney. You are watching grown men hit each other.

Further more, Ray Lewis was an NFL center piece for years.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Depends on how valuable the person is to their company.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
again, i thought i made this clear in the op.

im not asking if they "can do it", it is pretty clear that they can. I am asking if you believe they should do it.
Yes, they should do it. Not only did they sign a contract, but they are role models for millions of kids.
What kind of role model assaults his girlfriends, does hard drugs, gets arrested for drunkenness, animal torture and reckless driving causing injury or death?
These guys make millions and millions of dollars for playing games. If they don't like it, they can go work at the Olive Garden.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
hell yes, and it needs to bleed into the regular work force, can't keep your nose clean, take time off without pay

Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes they should be held to a higher standard that their salary dictates.

They want to act like a bum, they can quit and be a bum.
i agree. NFL players, along with those in other sports, are looked up to by the public, and as such need to be held to a higher standard of conduct.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
I personally dont like morality clauses, it seems like a slippery slop to me.

I can understand the family values argument..... If this was Disney. You are watching grown men hit each other.

Further more, Ray Lewis was an NFL center piece for years.
I'm pretty sure the family values argument holds water, the NFL is still an entertainment franchise. I never cared for the NFL and never knew jack about the players, but I know people that did. By having severe punishments it helps reinforce the idea that certain things are bad. I could easily be wrong, but I think the morality clauses either stem from the image they want to portray or to prevent viewership declines.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'm pretty sure the family values argument holds water, the NFL is still an entertainment franchise. I never cared for the NFL and never knew jack about the players, but I know people that did. By having severe punishments it helps reinforce the idea that certain things are bad. I could easily be wrong, but I think the morality clauses either stem from the image they want to portray or to prevent viewership declines.
I dont think you are wrong in saying that they want that image, but outside of the Michael Vick's of the world, no one knows that these players have committed the crimes until they dont see them on the field on Sunday and then google why they arent there.

ABC, NBC, and CBS dont really cover this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies