Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Okay...so we get attacked in 2001, and we launch a war in Afghanistan. Then we go to Iraq in 2003 and supposedly, we were "fighting them there (terrorists) so we don't have to fight them here."

We managed to fill up Guantanamo with "dangerous terrorists" () and we captured a bunch of others and sent them abroad under a policy of rendition.

Our government keeps telling us that they killed the "number two man in Al Qaeda" (about 100 times) and we got Bin Laden.

So then, why in 2014 are we facing some thread named ISIS who according to many conservatives is poised to dominate and take over the whole world?

What exactly were we doing between 2001 and 2014 and were we really having all this success against terrorists that our Pentagon and CIA claimed that we did?

What the real truth appears to be is that we CREATED a bunch of terrorists and terrorism more than we extinguished them...by a long shot.

In fact, outside of a few big named terrorists that we've manage to kill or capture, I don't think we've had a lick of success against terrorism. Most of those bozos in Guantanamo are probably nothing more than p*ssed off goat herders that got turned in by people that had a personal beef with them.

We've dropped hundreds of billions of dollars on this GWOT and we've got nothing to show for it. Not from what I can see anyway. The Middle East is just as jacked up as it was in 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Valid points.

But, do you suggest we just put down our arms, retract our intelligence apparatus, discard our common sense and come back home and wait to see what happens?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Okay...so we get attacked in 2001, and we launch a war in Afghanistan. Then we go to Iraq in 2003 and supposedly, we were "fighting them there (terrorists) so we don't have to fight them here."

We managed to fill up Guantanamo with "dangerous terrorists" () and we captured a bunch of others and sent them abroad under a policy of rendition.

Our government keeps telling us that they killed the "number two man in Al Qaeda" (about 100 times) and we got Bin Laden.

So then, why in 2014 are we facing some thread named ISIS who according to many conservatives is poised to dominate and take over the whole world?

What exactly were we doing between 2001 and 2014 and were we really having all this success against terrorists that our Pentagon and CIA claimed that we did?

What the real truth appears to be is that we CREATED a bunch of terrorists and terrorism more than we extinguished them...by a long shot.

In fact, outside of a few big named terrorists that we've manage to kill or capture, I don't think we've had a lick of success against terrorism. Most of those bozos in Guantanamo are probably nothing more than p*ssed off goat herders that got turned in by people that had a personal beef with them.

We've dropped hundreds of billions of dollars on this GWOT and we've got nothing to show for it. Not from what I can see anyway. The Middle East is just as jacked up as it was in 2001.
Indeed? This is why I must ask you why the warmongering Left has pressed their Liberal President into re-negotiating the treaty George Bush sign agreeing to pull all the troops out of Iraq? Was the pulling of the troops out of Iraq just a political stunt by Obama in order to fulfill a campaign promise? It almost appears that as soon as he fulfilled that campaign promise, Obama re-negotiated the Bush agreement and has now reintroduced military boots on the ground and begun a bombing campaign in Iraq while admitting publicly that he has no plan at all.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Valid points.

But, do you suggest we just put down our arms, retract our intelligence apparatus, discard our common sense and come back home and wait to see what happens?
Why not? That seems to potentially have about the same amount of success that we've had up to this point (that would be practically NONE) running around the world, spending billions, and having nothing to show for it.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,476 times
Quote:
Why not? That seems to potentially have about the same amount of success that we've had up to this point (that would be practically NONE) running around the world, spending billions, and having nothing to show for it.
You're too late. Obama's New Iraqi War has begun. Obama had his bombs take out four old trucks in Iraq yesterday at a cost of 7.5 Million dollars. Obama is a Hawke. He's another liberal war monger.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Valid points.

The British knew how to fight low intensity warfare and guerrilla warfare infiltration. I do not think they ever lost a war. Maybe we should emulate them. They did it not with expending large dollars but with leadership on the ground and native troops stiffened with regulars.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-31-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Valid points.

DD i agree with aeroguydc. but i dont have to really tell you what happens now do i? the fact is that ISIS, and other terrorists groups are not going to say, well the US has done what we wanted and left the middle east, so we dont have to try and kill them anymore, so lets party like it was the 7th century.

we all know that they will be emboldened and attack the US on our soil again, and this time we might lose more than the world trade center and part of the pentagon. these guys want world domination, and they want to set up a caliphate, and they want a one world religion, based on islam and you will will be given the choice of convert to islam or die infidel.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I think it's because we just dip our big toe in the terrorist pool. That, and they don't seem to care about dying so how do you threaten them?

We need to get a sky writer over the Middle East to write: "No virgins left!" in arabic.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:

Impossible to tell, we can't go back in time and see what happens if we didnt do the above things.

In my opinion the "war on terror" is an impossible mission, containing attacks towards the USA and its people would of been a better name.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:00 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,034 times
Quote:
Valid points.

Staying out of the business of other countries probably would have prevented many of the issues we are dealing with now. Our meddling in the middle east got us to this point to begin with. I don't see Canada or Mexico worrying about middle east terrorism and I never hear the names mentioned, and we are their immediate neighbors. If only we could find a way to figure their secrets from becoming targets of terrorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Indeed? This is why I must ask you why the warmongering Left has pressed their Liberal President into re-negotiating the treaty George Bush sign agreeing to pull all the troops out of Iraq? Was the pulling of the troops out of Iraq just a political stunt by Obama in order to fulfill a campaign promise? It almost appears that as soon as he fulfilled that campaign promise, Obama re-negotiated the Bush agreement and has now reintroduced military boots on the ground and begun a bombing campaign in Iraq while admitting publicly that he has no plan at all.
Extremely valid points, and this why I cant take conservatives seriously when they call Obama a far left radical. Unfortunately for many on the left, Obama was just another Bush, except with a D instead of an R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies