Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Just watched this story on msnbc (Don't know how I managed to get on that channel, maybe their other 10 or so viewers also saw this story.) Apparently tomorrow the fast food workers around the country will be walking off their easily replaceable jobs, they will be demanding 15/hr, and unions.. Ed Shultz has been slurping up Obama for supporting this, for 5 minutes.

There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?
Free will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
If they can not afford to live, than they are living in the wrong city/town. If they choose to live in a high COL area that is their own doing.
So, you want them to move to a new city with no money and no job ?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We tried that.

People didn't go into engineering and science, or even healthcare. Thats where the jobs always are. They took liberal arts degrees and other easy degrees, so it did no good.

Paying for a 2 yr vocational degree would fair far better
None of the degree fields you just named are cheap, all of them require multiple math ans science courses, all of which require extra pre requisites and extra course and lab fees.And in some cases you have to pay for placement test you have done all that, and if you dont pass that test, you have just wasted a year, maybe 2 of school

Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Just watched this story on msnbc (Don't know how I managed to get on that channel, maybe their other 10 or so viewers also saw this story.) Apparently tomorrow the fast food workers around the country will be walking off their easily replaceable jobs, they will be demanding 15/hr, and unions.. Ed Shultz has been slurping up Obama for supporting this, for 5 minutes.

There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?
To be honest i think our society has a thinking error. As a business owner my low skill positions are essential for my business i can't run my business without customer service reps and basic skill laborers, i can live without a manager or supervisor or special skill for awhile and run my business.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
I don't happen to think that jobs in that industry should pay $15/hr. But it has nothing to do with their being "burger flippers" and everything to do with supply and demand.

Every job that needs to be done is worthwhile, and those performing them should not be denigrated or made to feel that what they're doing has no value.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
If they can not afford to live, than they are living in the wrong city/town. If they choose to live in a high COL area that is their own doing.

Maybe they were born and raised there; why should they have to move? They have no business moving TO a place they cannot afford, but if they were there all along, why should they be displaced by newcomers?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with them asking. The point is they should expect to be out of work if they strike because that is not showing up to work at the agreed to pay wage. That is in right to work states a reason to be replaced. They dont have a skill that cannot be replaced with a few hrs of training. These fast food workers are being used by the unions. We all see it. If traffic control workers can be replaced and they had a real skill, then a burger flipper or a person who touches buttoms on a register can easly be replaced and will be.
That's all beside the point.

If they make demands that are so unreasonable as to put them out of work, then who cares? It's their problem, not yours.

But I'm not gonna sit here and say that they aren't worth $15 an hour. I have no way of knowing that. I only know that most of then don't get it now...that doesn't mean much of anything.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So, you want them to move to a new city with no money and no job ?
It is not that I want them to, but, if they can not afford to live where they currently are, it would be wise of them to move somewhere that is more affordable.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe they were born and raised there; why should they have to move? They have no business moving TO a place they cannot afford, but if they were there all along, why should they be displaced by newcomers?
It is not about being displaced by newcomers, it is about doing what one needs to do to survive. In this game we call life, all of us have to do things we don't necessarily want to do, but if it means a better life in the end, is it not worth it?

Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's all I've been saying.

Conservatives act as if these folks are committing capitol murder by asking.
Nobody is saying any such thing. What is being said is you better be careful what you ask for.

Quote:
I have nothing against them demanding $50 an hour if they want to. It's not my place to get between them and their employers.

And I'm DEFINITELY not gonna sit here and make a favorable case on the side of McDonalds or any other fast food corporations. They aren't advocating for me against my boss.
The thing is, this isn't some big movement on the part of fast food workers. They aren't the ones doing this. Those that are, are only interest in what is it in for them and give little care about the long term employment of those they are exploiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies