Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
30+ million remain uninsured. Medicare expansion, or the lack thereof, only accounts for about a third of that number, if I recall correctly.

Everything is not "functioning fine" for millions of Americans.
There's a reason that poster is on my ignore list. I recommend you explore your options in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 02:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
If you honestly believe the federal government -- those same morons that could not launch a working website after 3 years and $750 million spent -- is capable of executing Single Payer, you are clearly suffering from head trauma.

Government is rarely the answer, but almost always the problem.
They have run two systems for decades that work fine, one is the system they use for military members and their families and the other is Medicare, both are fairly efficient and the good parts of it can be employed into a system that covers all Americans. I understand the government is not the answer to many issues, on this one I do not see any other workable way. Every other advanced Nation on the Planet has one, we are just slow learners. Like it or not that is where we are headed, and instead of complaining about what you do not like about the idea it would be far more useful to suggest ideas that would ensure is works better than anything else anyone else has, we are Americans after all and if we set our minds to it can outdo any other Nation on the planet. Time to start rolling up those sleeves and getting to work. Then it is on to resolve the education system.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
And ALL of them are riddled with fraud and waste.

ALL OF THEM.

And Your answer is what, oh wait, you do not have one. Noted

Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So in the end even more Americans will be without healthcare coverage and there ya go off to a Single Payer system like they have in Europe. See how that is working out, heck I bet it went even faster than what those pulling the strings expected. The bigger question is will the Repubs take credit for it when we are all on the new system?
Obamacare is a form of single payer. Not quite obviously, but it is very similar to the Swiss model. The only difference is the Swiss don't have any single payer program like Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, etc., rather they provide a direct subsidy while requiring the people to buy insurance.

Quote:
If you honestly believe the federal government -- those same morons that could not launch a working website after 3 years and $750 million spent -- is capable of executing Single Payer, you are clearly suffering from head trauma.

My sister and her kid have Tricare for life.
Medicare and Medicaid have been operating for decades.

Singe payer or privately paid insurance is just a mechanism for financing.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Doubtful as a replacement, was already suggested and it really did not address the issue.
Neither did Obamacare, yet here we are... and the idiots that were championing it prior to its passage were cheering it as the problems started and are STILL cheering it now that we have insurers dropping out. They'll cheer it forever. They're terminally stupid.

Meanwhile, there has never, ever been a single moment when the public supported this law. It NEVER should have been passed against the will of the people.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
If your on Medicare, if your on Tricare, if your on VA, if your a senior on Medicaid, If you are on a tax subsidized plan...its functioning. The Republican base is doing fine thank you with $750 billion in subsidies...Now lets get rid of the $16 billion in Obamacare subsidies...The base doesnt need a bunch of leeches taking in $16 billion in subsidies when the taxpayers are already paying $750 billion. Never mind that these are the same people paying into the $750 billion in subsidies...time to hold their heads under water.
Hey borrego - I didn't see any mention of mobility scooters or oxygen tanks in your post. I think you forgot to mention them.

You're welcome.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Neither did Obamacare, yet here we are... and the idiots that were championing it prior to its passage were cheering it as the problems started and are STILL cheering it now that we have insurers dropping out. They'll cheer it forever. They're terminally stupid.

Meanwhile, there has never, ever been a single moment when the public supported this law. It NEVER should have been passed against the will of the people.
They will support it until something better is offered, and it will be.

The people were never given a choice or a voice in the matter other than most expressed dissatisfaction with failed system we had before Obamacare.

But not to worry, things are progressing on schedule.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
Put that poster on ignore otherwise you're at risk of losing brain cells reading his posts.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Obamacare is a form of single payer. Not quite obviously, but it is very similar to the Swiss model. The only difference is the Swiss don't have any single payer program like Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, etc., rather they provide a direct subsidy while requiring the people to buy insurance.

My sister and her kid have Tricare for life.
Medicare and Medicaid have been operating for decades.

Singe payer or privately paid insurance is just a mechanism for financing.
There ya go. Many Millions have been using a system that works and has worked for many decades now, so what is to stop us from taking the next step.............wait for it.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Quote:
They have run two systems for decades that work fine, one is the system they use for military members and their families and the other is Medicare, both are fairly efficient and the good parts of it can be employed into a system that covers all Americans. I understand the government is not the answer to many issues, on this one I do not see any other workable way. Every other advanced Nation on the Planet has one, we are just slow learners. Like it or not that is where we are headed, and instead of complaining about what you do not like about the idea it would be far more useful to suggest ideas that would ensure is works better than anything else anyone else has, we are Americans after all and if we set our minds to it can outdo any other Nation on the planet. Time to start rolling up those sleeves and getting to work. Then it is on to resolve the education system.

I don't think you grasp just how much fraud and waste is involved in what we'll loosely call "government run healthcare".

My father is retired military, and I've seen firsthand the inefficiency of both Tricare and Medicare. It's safe to say that NOTHING the government "runs" is efficient. We may argue as to why this is, but the reality is that government does nothing with efficiency. NOTHING.

I agree with your premise that we're likely headed to something such as single payer. The current system is a mess -- for lots of different reasons -- and big-money interests are blocking the path to "fixing" it. But I cringe at the thought of a single-payer system being administered by one of the more corrupt, inefficient governments on the planet.

Don't even get me started on the education system......my family has deep roots in the education system, and I've had a front-row seat to that conversation virtually my entire life.

I don't often agree with you, but I admire your desire to "roll up those sleeves and get to work"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies