Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 PM

30,247 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So in the end even more Americans will be without healthcare coverage and there ya go off to a Single Payer system like they have in Europe. See how that is working out, heck I bet it went even faster than what those pulling the strings expected. The bigger question is will the Repubs take credit for it when we are all on the new system?
Considering the Repubs had nothing to do with this failed experiment, why would they take any credit at all when it fails?

Weren't some of your fellow libs telling us that they wanted single payer? Wasn't it revealed in videos that this administration really actually wanted single payer?

Are you trying to pretend that this wasn't the plan all along and that libs aren't happy about it?

So we're going to sit through another failure when single payer is attempted? When will people get it? Damn, do none of you pay attention to what Mircea has been stating repeatedly, over and over and over again? He's only written it at least 50 times on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM

30,247 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Except for leaving those with preexisting conditions to rot away with poor health and probable bankruptcy. The old system is dead and will never come back.
The old "pre-existing conditions" b.s. argument. People with pre-existing conditions most certainly could get insurance.

The libs have already shown they had zero understanding of catastrophic insurance, and they are proving that they have no idea about those with pre-existing conditions getting insurance....yes, those people could get it.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Single payer would take an amendment to the US Constitution.

As there is no place in the US Constitution that gives the government, the power to legislate that.
not really, they could just gradually expand medicaid qualifications until pretty much everyone was covered.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is because your brother-in-law is military.
When he divorces her, she will lose her Tri-care coverage. The kids will keep theirs until 18... Not even 26 as ACA mandates.

Medicare and Medicaid are tax bills, just like ACA. You are taxed via FICA for those programs.
Lol. When. I think you meant if. Either way I meant for life. Her kid can buy in at 21 or so.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So in the end even more Americans will be without healthcare coverage and there ya go off to a Single Payer system like they have in Europe. See how that is working out, heck I bet it went even faster than what those pulling the strings expected. The bigger question is will the Repubs take credit for it when we are all on the new system?

What a "Law" meant to fail!?!

With the hope of achieving single payer no less?

Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The old "pre-existing conditions" b.s. argument. People with pre-existing conditions most certainly could get insurance.

The libs have already shown they had zero understanding of catastrophic insurance, and they are proving that they have no idea about those with pre-existing conditions getting insurance....yes, those people could get it.
Not true. No one in CA would touch my daughter until Obamacare.

There are good points in Obamacare. This is one.
Another is unlimited coverage.
'Free' preventatives.
Better primary care reimbursements.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:

That is nonsense. Unless you are referring to the insurance people could get that wouldn't cover their pre-existing conditions.

Prior to 2014 my health insurance plan (a group plan, through my employer) slapped a pre-existing condition clause on me for my first whole year of coverage. I had to fight tooth and nail with them to pay for the services I needed.

With Obamacare I was able to purchase good quality health insurance that paid for a surgery I needed that very same month. Prior to 2014 no such insurance existed on the private market.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

Speaking of " zero understanding".....

50 states.......50 independent politically appointed insurance commissions make insurance regulations for the state and no two states have the same regulations. There was significant variation in the way states defined and regulated a pre- existing condition.

As it relates to the individual plan market, a pre-existing condition rider allowed insurers to refuse to cover individuals with pre-existing conditions. Such riders were legal in 36 states. 14 states prohibited such riders and one state, Indiana, allowed exclusions up to 10 years.

Look back periods also varied by state. 10 states had no limit, meaning if one has a diagnosis 30 years ago, the insurer could refuse to insure them.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That is nonsense. Unless you are referring to the insurance people could get that wouldn't cover their pre-existing conditions.

Prior to 2014 my health insurance plan (a group plan, through my employer) slapped a pre-existing condition clause on me for my first whole year of coverage. I had to fight tooth and nail with them to pay for the services I needed.

With Obamacare I was able to purchase good quality health insurance that paid for a surgery I needed that very same month. Prior to 2014 no such insurance existed on the private market.
Group/ Large Group Healthcare plans were required by 1996 HIPAA legislation to insure pre-existing conditions but deferred to states/ plans on maximum look back periods. 12 months was the most common.

This was substantially better than the Individual Plan Market whereby 36 states and DC allowed insurers to refuse to cover any pre-existing condition.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Lol. When. I think you meant if. Either way I meant for life. Her kid can buy in at 21 or so.

The kid can buy in at 18 if they enlist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies