Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Spur View Post
The idea of public schools originated in the 1790's. What are you trying to "conserve"? Yes, history is important. Without history, one has a hard time knowing what to conserve.
I am trying to conserve money for the tax payer. I don't think history should be taught with extorted funds. it's not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Students in Colorado have been practicing civil disobedience over a proposal by three Conservative school board members that seeks to rewrite history and minimize the teaching of civil disobedience:

"The school board proposal that triggered the walkouts calls for instructional materials that present positive aspects of the nation and its heritage. It would establish a committee to regularly review texts and course plans, starting with Advanced Placement history, to make sure materials “promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights” and don’t “encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.”

Denver students stage walkout over whitewashing history | Al Jazeera America

Good on the students. It seems it's the Conservatives here who need some lessons in history. This country was founded on civil disobedience and disregard for the law.
There is something confusing about this story, or how you portray it. It sounds to me as though what they are proposing is to eliminate the re-writing of history that has been the domain of the Leftists for the last 50 years, and begin to teach the real history of our country once again, as we were taught when I was growing up.

What has been taught in our schools for at least the last 30 years, is that the history of America as previously taught is a lie.

I wouldn't trust anything from Al Jazeera, one of the worlds great propaganda machines; the modern day Provda.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:26 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
well that gave me a headache. jesus christ. fyi, as a conservative, I don't think there should be public schools. that just mutilated your little theories of what conservatives want taught in schools.

Actually, you are being an honest conservative. conservatives do hate public education, but since they long ago lost the debate on public education, conservatives work to undermine public education.

The conservative critique of public schools is that it tries to educate too many people who don't deserve it and don't take advantage of the education and therefore it is wasteful.

The conservative critique of public education is conservatives don't believe every citizen deserves one.

I wish more conservatives had your honesty that they hate public education.

What conservatives want taught in history is right there for anyone to read. It is pure pro American government sponsored propaganda.

They want to set up a situation where a government entity decides what's introduced into history books based on whether they deem the history to be pro American enough. SMH.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How could anyone possibly teach American History without reference to civil disorder and revolution?
That's also my question. There is something wrong with how this story is being portrayed. Something is amiss. History is history. None of it should be left out, and none of it should be altered by those on the left or right, regardless of what it is, bad, good or something else.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Actually, you are being an honest conservative. conservatives do hate public education, but since they long ago lost the debate on public education, conservatives work to undermine public education.

The conservative critique of public schools is that it tries to educate too many people who don't deserve it and don't take advantage of the education and therefore it is wasteful.

The conservative critique of public education is conservatives don't believe every citizen deserves one.

I wish more conservatives had your honesty that they hate public education.

What conservatives want taught in history is right there for anyone to read. It is pure pro American government sponsored propaganda.

They want to set up a situation where a government entity decides what's introduced into history books based on whether they deem the history to be pro American enough. SMH.
no. teacher's unions work to undermine public education by rewarding failures. you can shake your head all you want, but the facts are there. you comment is also riddled with contradictions.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am really glad to see the students stepping up and making their views known in regards to this issue. The Jefferson County School board has had a lot of problems over the years and there is a lot of friction between board members, parents, teacher, students, administrators, etc.

I firmly believe that the history that is taught in all schools is biased but allowing it to become even more biased in order to push a specific social agenda by leaving out important events is only making things worse. It's wrong. I don't believe this is a conservative issue because I don't think that most conservatives would agree with altering history in an effort to try to instill (ie. manipulate) a more obedient citizenry. I do however believe that there are political motivations behind this and the attention the student's have garnered by walking out will help to kill this recommendation by one of the members of the board. The more eyes on this, the better.
I agree with you. I'm for teaching of history as the facts reveal it. All sides, all views need to be presented.

A thorough understanding of history requires an accurate account of all events, attitudes, arguments, etc. that defined the times.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
no. teacher's unions work to undermine public education by rewarding failures. you can shake your head all you want, but the facts are there. you comment is also riddled with contradictions.
You have no facts.

The two words teacher's union is irrelevant and a red herring.

I do shake my head at conservatives.

I do wish more conservatives were honest about hating public education.

Point out the contradictions please.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You might try reading something besides Al Jezeera. I posted a link to Colorado Public Radio.
I agree. I can't imagine why anyone would want use Al Jezeera as their source.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You have no facts.

The two words teacher's union is irrelevant and a red herring.

I do shake my head at conservatives.

I do wish more conservatives were honest about hating public education.

Point out the contradictions please.
your support of public education, and your inability to form paragraphs would be one contradiction. and yes, I am fully aware I don't capitalize at the beginning of my sentences.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
your support of public education, and your inability to form paragraphs would be one contradiction. and yes, I a fully aware I don't capitalize at the beginning of my sentences.
Oh you have nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies