Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Obama finally stop flights between US and Liberia, etc during the Ebola outbreak?
Yes, Stop the flights, Obama should admit he was wrong 54 93.10%
No, Obama was falsely confident that Ebola wouldn't get here, but he is also confident that we can handle Ebola here 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:31 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
All direct fights to Africa, for starters.
Seriously? You want to stop flights to Cairo or Johannesburg? Why?

Quote:
Also any flight that indirectly from Africa.
That indirectly what from Africa? That takes off from an airport here an African connection can be made? That's - well, every major hub.

Quote:
Then anyone who traveled to the ebola countries within the past 30 days.
To be discovered - how?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So - no flights being stopped? And as has been gently explained, passport stamps are worth diddly - and flight itineraries are not even official documents - even if they were to exist in printed form for all travelers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As my username may indicate, yes. And in my experience, stamps are pretty much a 50-50 proposition. And most countries will gladly accommodate a request to not stamp the passport. To say nothing of people holding two passports, not at all uncommon among those wth close ties to several countries.

As I said, a simple solution that's completely wrong.

Best regards,

Thomas

A net with holes is better than no net at all. Each arrival from those countries is another chance for a case that could go viral.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Jesus, the stupidity continues. It doesn't matter if there are no direct flights.

You can find those who travelled from Liberia via passport stamps and the passport itself. Not to mention flight itineraries.
You have not read this thread.

There is no requirement for passports to be stamped. Half the countries I have visited did not stamp my passport. People can also request their passport not be stamped and immigration usually accommodates.

Contrary to opinion, there is no international common database that contains all passport information and/or flight itineraries.

If the US had suspended all incoming visas from Liberia, this Duncan guy's trip would have terminated in Belgium.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
If you really want to go that way you simply shut down all flights into the US until the problem is solved. That we can do and will certainly provide the maximum protection. And anything less than that is less than the most protection available.

Visa and passport controls will not work and it is inevitable that European and other countries will end up with Ebola cases. only question is when.

Skilled commercial travelers have been beating the visa systems forever. It does not work. Folk have multiple passports...in and out is not stamped. Visa are on removable pages. There are innumerable work arounds.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I believe that the Ebola patient flew from Africa to Europe, and then to the US. How would banning flights from Africa to the US have stopped the current situation?

Are you proposing that the world quarantine Africa?
I would. It makes sense. What lefties call "common sense solutions".

Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM

847 posts, read 767,401 times
It is all about business. U.S business lobby would not allow so many flights to be grounded.

It is no really Obama's decision. This country is run by the elite wealthy; not by one lonely dude in white house.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama said that he wouldn't stop flights to/from Ebola outbreak countries so aid workers can flow freely to help.

Obama said that it was highly unlikely Ebola would find its way in to the US.

Now that Obama is clearly wrong, should he admit his mistake and stop flights between the few countries with the Ebola outbreak and the US? Other countries have done this. Of course, special permits could allow aid workers to fly in to nearby countries and then travel in to Liberia, etc...

White House: We Won’t Stop People From Ebola-Stricken Countries Coming To US | The Daily Caller

Why hasn’t the U.S. closed its airports to travelers from Ebola-ravaged countries? - The Washington Post

That would be very nice if for once in his entire life, he can admit he is wrong. However this is Obama who almost never admits to his wrong doings. In this case, it would be very welcoming to hear him admit they made a mistake.

Like almost all the time, if he comes anything close to admitting they were wrong on this issue, someone will be thrown under the bus but I would hope he admits they were wrong. A few cases now, we do not want this to grow and get out of control either. And if it does get out of control, thank your big White House.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Canada can feel free to do what they want.
Something like 320,000 persons cross the US-Canada border each day. Over a billion dollars in trade every day.
I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty. Lots of money lost on both sides.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 PM

654 posts, read 1,251,091 times
I wonder if President Obola is going to blame George Bush for this...

Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
I wonder if President Obola is going to blame George Bush for this...
There is no president named Obola and "Blame George Bush" for What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies