Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should welfare recipients be drug tested?
yes 101 74.81%
no 34 25.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Nice thought! And if they're parental units, the kids lose. Kids with no place to live and no support, good way to take care of the future.

I'd rather see people on assistance have the norplant inserted as a birth control measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I also believe that women who are on welfare should be required to take the pill if they are of age to have children. The system as it is now encourages women to have children because it gives them more and more money for every child they have.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I voted.

I have to be drug free to collect my paycheck. I expect no less of those on welfare.

I agree 150%.....Prime example, I know of a guy who is on disability for having AIDS, but guess what he spends his check on? Not his meds, but Crystal-Meth.
I had a job interview, and guess what? I was drug tested...I passed btw!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:25 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
The only possibly valid reason for attaching drug testing to welfare programs would be as a means for routing hard-core addicts (as opposed to recreational users) into medically-based harm-reduction programs to help people get off this stuff and into the shape they need to be in even to qualify for work.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I have to be drug free to collect my paycheck. I expect no less of those on welfare.
A little angry over that, are we? If you're denied the pleasures of drug use, well, by god, nobody else better be getting any of that either. It's a free country. Go get another job. People on welfare don't exactly have that choice...

Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
In a perfect world drug addicts would not be supported by the government.
In a perfect world, the corporate welfare that fuels seven-figure CEO salaries wouldn't be blown (so to speak) on boardroom coke and prostitute orgies, but that happens too. Review a little of the testimony from the divorce hearings of the President's own brother as one example...

Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I agree 150%.....Prime example, I know of a guy who is on disability for having AIDS, but guess what he spends his check on? Not his meds, but Crystal-Meth.
I had a job interview, and guess what? I was drug tested...I passed btw!
I and DEAD against anyone with aids getting any help, espcially if they get it the way I think the majority have. I should not be taxed to pay for people mistakes like getting aids and making the wrong choices in life.

I also agree above, if a women is on welfare they should not be having more kids until they can prove they can care for themselves.

I am all for total the total abolishment of welfare as we know it. They have to force people to work and stop them from the freebies.
I am all for taking away the fod stamps and any payment to the welfare people. They have proven they cannot handle money or they wouldnt be in that positition. Force them to go to a government run location to pick up there food so they can be controlled on how much they eat and not be able to spent ANY money on anything.

Have you ever seen a skinny person on welfare?? I have not.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
In a perfect world, the corporate welfare that fuels seven-figure CEO salaries wouldn't be blown (so to speak) on boardroom coke and prostitute orgies, but that happens too. Review a little of the testimony from the divorce hearings of the President's own brother as one example...
What does welfare have to do with CEO's? There is a huge difference between someone who worked there way to the top of a ladder then someone who skims money from the governments and wont earn their own keep.
Please don't compare CEOs with welfare takers.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Please don't compare CEOs with welfare takers.
Please understand that CEO's and the companies they run are by far the biggest welfare takers in this country.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Please understand that CEO's and the companies they run are by far the biggest welfare takers in this country.
What?
Please explain what you think welfare is then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies