Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know if it is a sign of being on the right track, but it is definitely a great way to have a good time.
Who could afford to drink whisky in a strip club anyway? The one time I went to one, they said a glass of water was $8, beer was $12 and that was just for a little tumbler glass. I can't even imagine what the mixed drinks would have cost. I bought a glass of Dr.P and nursed it all night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Who could afford to drink whisky in a strip club anyway? The one time I went to one, they said a glass of water was $8, beer was $12 and that was just for a little tumbler glass. I can't even imagine what the mixed drinks would have cost. I bought a glass of Dr.P and nursed it all night.
You should come to Portland, our strip clubs are full nude and they can't over charge for alcohol, so beer and liquor is the same price as it would be in a bar. $4 for beer, and $4-8 for liquor.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Didn't have another $8?

Old 10-10-2014, 06:37 PM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
I've heard the liquor stores are all government owned and you can't even pump your own gas. I assumed it was urban legend.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've heard the liquor stores are all government owned and you can't even pump your own gas. I assumed it was urban legend.
Unfortunately our liquor stores are government owned, but we have it so others pump our gas. It is really nice when it is raining out. Besides, who wants their hands to smell like gas?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Didn't have another $8?
Didn't want to spend it all on drinks, considering I could have went to a regular bar for a lot cheaper than that if I wanted to drink. I was already pretty lit up when I got there anyway.

The strip club I went to was a classy joint, suit-n-tie kind of place, businessmen and lawyers, and here me and a buddy walks in, two farm boys from the backwoods with empty pockets, and way out of our league. lol. It was still really fun though.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Unfortunately our liquor stores are government owned, but we have it so others pump our gas. It is really nice when it is raining out. Besides, who wants their hands to smell like gas?
I pump my own gas all the time. Most of our stations are self-serve.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I pump my own gas all the time. Most of our stations are self-serve.
Greedy capitalist! You should buy your gas in Oregon where self-serve is outlawed.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's an interesting book about the history of vice in Seattle, from about 1950 to 2010. The author is a long time investigative reporter for the Seattle Weekly:

Seattle Vice by Rick Anderson - Book - eBook - Random House

Seattle in the 50's, 60's, and even somewhat in the 70's was a wide-open port town. There were bordellos, strip clubs, and gambling joints. The city had a 'tolerance policy' on the grounds that it would prevent East Coast mobsters from trying to move into the city.

A famous madam named Nellie Curtis ran a bordello out of the LaSalle Hotel (now affordable housing for seniors) in downtown Seattle. She later moved to Aberdeen, WA, which was even more wide open.

Seattle also was not the left-liberal bastion that it is today. A stripper named Candy Renee said that she was a staunch Republican, and filed for office in 1956 saying that she wanted to "see everyone get a fair shake." Quoth Candy,

She hoped to go to the state legislature and repeal some of the states blue laws, which police used as leverage to collect payoffs from vice-based enterprises. As late as 1969, Seattle had a GOP mayor, James 'Dorm' Braman, who left for a post in the Nixon admin. Today a GOP mayor would be unthinkable. Our last mayoral contest was between an environmental attorney and an openly gay state Senator, both liberal democrats.

Fast forward to around 2000, and the 'tolerance policy' had disappeared. The book follows the career of local strip club magnate Frank Colacurcio. In 2006 he was caught in a campaign finance scheme to funnel campaign funds to 3 city council members. His purpose was to get the city council to rezone some land that he owned adjacent to his club so that he could use it for parking. The city refused to rezone it; I used to go to his club, and he had it all paved and ready for use, but he would always have it roped off so that no one could park there, in compliance with the law. After he ponied up the campaign cash, the council relented and rezoned it for him. Now there were about a dozen or so new parking spaces at the club.

That was elevated into a major scandal by the press. Colacurcio settled the case and paid a fine, but police chief Gil Kerlikowske (now drug czar under Pres. Obama) was determined to get Frank. The FBI was brought in, and an agent named Corey Cote was "on Frank's trail for much of the decade." A female undercover agent got herself hired as a waitress at the club, and worked her way into a management job. A camera was mounted on a utility pole outside the club for 24 hour surveillance. Seattle police spent thousands of dollars working undercover buying lap dances from strippers. They amassed a truckload of documents and evidence.

In 2009 Frank and his business partners were all indicted for racketeering, conspiracy, mail fraud, and money laundering. Eventually all except Frank took plea deals that included shutting down the clubs and turning over about $5.8 million in cash and property. "We are shutting down a corrupt criminal organization that made millions of dollars exploiting women," said U.S. attorney Jenny Durkan (now rumored to be a possible replacement for Eric Holder).

Frank refused a plea deal, and died in 2010 at age 93 before a deal could be reached, or a conviction obtained. The government sold off the property, and the main club eventually reopened as a strip club under new ownership.
Seattle, like Los Angeles, has always had a weird dichotomy between the hedonistic and the puritan. Refer to the "open town" vs. the "closed town" divide in the early 20th century.

A Red Light History of Seattle | Seattle Met

SEATTLE

Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't know about Canada, but in most places in the US strip clubs that serve alcohol can only be topless. Oregon is an exception - full nude stripping and alcohol are allowed in the same establishment.
It seems to matter very much to the lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies