Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times

Advertisements

I support it. There can be plenty of hoops and barriers to prevent abuse, but the option should def be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What, like blowing your brains out and leaving your loved ones to clean up the mess? Having them find you hanging in a closet? Or bleeding out in a tub? What about jumping in front of a train, traumatizing all who have to witness or clean it up?

No, taking a few pills surrounded by your loved ones is sucking people into it.
Someone always has to clean up and care for the dead. That's what we do as humans.
It's only decent to leave the least possible trauma behind as possible, I think. But if a person's life is their own, I believe their death is too, just as much. I'm not willing to tell anyone how to conduct either one.

But it's also human nature to want to be remembered, and we all do things that are bad for attention's sake. Thank God for all those who are able to do the dirty work. They all deserve full respect.

We all get over the shock of a death pretty quickly, gory or not, but none of us ever get over the sadness. That, too, is a part of our nature.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
She is terminal, and she should be able to choose the way she dies.

The allegedly 'less government intrusion' RW has a nasty history of lame attempts at controlling the way people live their lives.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You don't need a doctor or anyone else to take a few pills .
But a doctor sure makes it easier to acquire those pills. And just WHY should it be against the law for someone to decide when how they'll die and have the assistance of someone doing it by request? It's truly remarkable (and hypocritical) how the 'less government intrusion' rhetoric normally espoused by the OP is so conveniently forgotten by many when it doesn't suit their agenda.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
I am against suicide in principal, based on moral/religious grounds, but I would have a hard time saying this woman doesn't have a right to end her own life in as pain free as possible a way. Letting the cancer slowly kill her in a very painful fashion doesn't exactly sound merciful or righteous.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Glad to see that most posters here, no matter their political leanings, are in agreement that one should be able to chose the manner of their own death under such awful circumstances, hopefully one day the laws of the land will be updated to conform to the actual will of the People. Those that disagree with the idea are within their rights to state how they feel and no one is forcing you to take that step, but if for some reason this or another such similar situation came into your life, would you not at least hope that you had the choice if you so decided it was the best path?
makes you wonder, if jack kevorkian was out doing his thing today, would there be more popular support than there was in the mid-90s?
and maybe he would not have spent 8 years in prison..

Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
makes you wonder, if jack kevorkian was out doing his thing today, would there be more popular support than there was in the mid-90s?
and maybe he would not have spent 8 years in prison..
I supported what he was doing and believe he was made to be the scape goat by rabid conservatives that had been after him for years and could not care less about those he was helping. Hopefully one day we will get a little more common sense and compassion in our government and laws.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
I support it under certain circumstances such as the one this young lady is facing.

We do it for animals and we call it "humane". Can we not extend the same care and compassion to our own species?
Yes. I very much agree, as hard as it is to contemplate.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
She is terminal, and she should be able to choose the way she dies.
Absolutely agree!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:50 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I supported what he was doing and believe he was made to be the scape goat by rabid conservatives that had been after him for years and could not care less about those he was helping. Hopefully one day we will get a little more common sense and compassion in our government and laws.
it wasn't just 'rabid conservatives' that were out to get him. I supported him too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies