Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,048 times

Advertisements

Jon Huntsman, Mitt Romney, And Serving Your Country

Recently I was reviewing some old videos of the debates from 2012 and it always struck as to how much more intelligent Huntsman was over the other GOP candidates. Looking at the above interaction between Romney and Huntsman shows me that he was a far better candidate than Romney because he actually understood the limitations of what we could do in our foreign policy. And even though I don't agree with him on a number of things, I would have been more than happy to have had him as president.

Anybody who voted for Romney or any of the other candidates in the 2012 GOP primaries, could you give me your reasoning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Hip does not work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post

Recently I was reviewing some old videos of the debates from 2012 and it always struck as to how much more intelligent Huntsman was over the other GOP candidates. Looking at the above interaction between Romney and Huntsman shows me that he was a far better candidate than Romney because he actually understood the limitations of what we could do in our foreign policy. And even though I don't agree with him on a number of things, I would have been more than happy to have had him as president.

Anybody who voted for Romney or any of the other candidates in the 2012 GOP primaries, could you give me your reasoning?
We had a taste of Hip with Obama. We need real solutions and decisive leadership. That's why Huntsman will not gain traction.

Not mention a dope smoking President? Come on!

Romney would of made a better choice, even though he lost. Many issue and Policies would of worked verses Hope and Change. In the End Romney was correct and he offers something to both sides Liberal and Conservatives. To be purist does not attract the other side.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times
The GOP had already decided Romney was the nominee, ergo the competent Huntsman and Pawlenty had to go early so only the freakshow candidates remained to make Romney look better by comparison.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM

I'd hardly call Huntsman "hip." He reminds me more of Mr. Rogers than Bran Pitt.

Other than that, I don't get either of your responses.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
Quote:

Agreed. Hunstman was the clearly better candidate. I believe he was dismissed primarily because he accepted the position of Ambassador to China when Obama asked him. He was also ridiculed by the party establishment for speaking fluent Mandarin. Neither of those things made any sense to me at the time.

In retrospect, he would have had a much better shot at winning than Romney. I also think that if the GOP runs him in 2016 he will have a real shot at winning. I'd even seriously consider voting for the guy.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

Not enough name recognition and has no ability to raise massive amounts of money for the establishment.

The reason why.... Follow the money.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Agreed. Hunstman was the clearly better candidate. I believe he was dismissed primarily because he accepted the position of Ambassador to China when Obama asked him. He was also ridiculed by the party establishment for speaking fluent Mandarin. Neither of those things made any sense to me at the time.

In retrospect, he would have had a much better shot at winning than Romney. I also think that if the GOP runs him in 2016 he will have a real shot at winning. I'd even seriously consider voting for the guy.
Like you, I was repulsed at Romney's comments towards Huntsman's work as Ambassador under Obama. I loved his line, "The nation is divided because of attitudes like that" when Romney questioned him for working under Obama.

As I tend to lean left on many issues, I still wouldn't have had too much of a of problem with him. I don't know if I could vote for him if he runs in 2016, but to see him as Secretary of State would be beneficial to the country.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:22 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I also think that if the GOP runs him in 2016 he will have a real shot at winning. I'd even seriously consider voting for the guy.
Do you understand how our Presidential Election system works? The Party doesn't "run" a candidate. First, a candidate "chooses" to run. Then, the candidate must win many primaries (by vote of the public) and then win the "nod" of the Party at the convention. That is the only sense in which the Party selects a candidate.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:

Too moderate, too reasonable, too intelligent, too educated. And above all else, he was willing to work across the aisle. Accepting the ambassadorship from President Obama made him an instant enemy of the GOP. Cooperation and compromise are anathema to Conservatives. Anyone attempting it quickly becomes a persona non grata in their eyes. That's why Huntsman doesn't stand a chance in today's GOP.

It sounds really childish and ridiculous when it's articulated, doesn't it?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:28 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
I like that Huntsman thinks the government should control the weather.
Presidential indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies