Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

I have no issue with a standard education requirement in this country. People should learn to read and write, math, social studies, american history, all sorts of things.

We don't have to vote for the R or D candidate. I sure as hell didn't in the last election.

Sounds more like a anarchist rant to me then real substance.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
With the direction of this country I've seen since the 60s, I'm glad I'm near the end of my life instead of near its beginning.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Funny thing about that anti - education rant. it is absurd and nothing new. forty five years ago while attending my first college level American History class the professor asked the class what form of government we had. most of the answers were some form of "democracy". I, as freshly minted Vietnam survivor, was the first to answer, "a Republic." IMHO college freshmen were just as dumb then as now.
That may be your humble opinion, but the fact is that test scores have indeed been falling even from then, when you thought many others were stupid.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:08 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most Americans are stupid. Just look at the incompetent politicians who are purposely trying to destroy this country but yet Americans keep electing these loons into office. Having common sense is rare nowadays and will probably die off in about 20 years in this country. American society would rather sacrifice intelligent thought and discussion if it means you might offend someone in the process.
The news media do their best to keep the people ignorant, NBC, CBS, ABC all ignored the video when it was all over talk radio.

Even liberals like Jim Lehrer get it from time to time: "If we don't have an informed electorate we don't have a democracy." now whether or not people like him live up to that, in a bipartisan way, is another matter all together.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Not enough!

YET
This is true. We need people to stop saying, "Well, I don't really like the guy, but I sure am not voting for the guy in the other party", or that they will vote for the "lesser of the two evils", (voting for evil, lesser or not, is still voting for evil), or that they will "hold their nose" and vote for someone simply because of the letter behind the name.

THERE ARE OTHER CHOICES PEOPLE.

"Those independents will never win...you're throwing your vote away".

What an excellent strategy...let's not even try, let's just continue to ****, *****, moan, and give up. Brilliant.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Gruber said the stupid Americans would vote for Obamacare. OK. From what I recall, none of the Republicans voted for it. So who was he calling stupid?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most Americans are stupid. Just look at the incompetent politicians who are purposely trying to destroy this country but yet Americans keep electing these loons into office. Having common sense is rare nowadays and will probably die off in about 20 years in this country. American society would rather sacrifice intelligent thought and discussion if it means you might offend someone in the process.
There is a scientific explanation for it...

'Real science: Almost half the population may be infected with a mysterious virus that makes people stupid'

Real science: Almost half the population may be infected with a mysterious virus that makes people stupid - NaturalNews.com

Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Nothing like attacking a person's typing skills.
Well, you tried, but missed. I didn't attack his typing skills. I noted his inability to compose a proper grammatical sentence. When an OP accuses others of being stupid, in such fashion, he leaves himself wide open.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MtLTdYY8b3...1600/moran.jpg
Quote:
I'm not giving a pass to GWB, but I'm sick of him being the scapegoat
Why are you "ick"? He could care less what people think of him. He is convinced that he was right, and his friends tell him that he was. Nothing else matters to him.
Quote:
I wish people had listened to Bill Clinton when he cried foul on Obama. When a person has no conscience about how he gains position and power, you generally get a really bad deal.
What makes you think that Bill has a conscience? If another Romney shows up, Hillary will be President in two years.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO college freshmen were just as dumb then as now.
I wish that I could agree with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZZpk_9k8E
Quote:
Not much has changed. The mob wants entertainment that is funny and makes them feel superior ... or some form of brutality. That goes back a very long way.
2,150 years. Bread and circuses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welfare is not a new invention. Neither is MMA.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
With the direction of this country I've seen since the 60s, I'm glad I'm near the end of my life instead of near its beginning.
Your parents saw WWI, the Roaring 20s, Prohibition, the Great Depression, WWII & Korea.
Crack & disco were bad, but no match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Have you been tested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies