Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Agreed. But I still maintain if you want to vote, make the effort. Lots of people, white, black, latino, etc. make that effort every election. It makes it all the sweeter when your party wins.
It's much harder for some people to take three buses to the county office and wait two hours in line for the credentials they need to vote, than it is for other people to just stroll into the polls and flash their driver's license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It's much harder for some people to take three buses to the county office and wait two hours in line for the credentials they need to vote, than it is for other people to just stroll into the polls and flash their driver's license.
My paternal grandparents were poor, with no car but they managed. My grandfather was from Sweden so he had to make sure he had the requisite papers to prove his citizenship. If voting is worthwhile then you make the effort. If you can't, or won't make the effort no one is to blame but yourself.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
My paternal grandparents were poor, with no car but they managed. My grandfather was from Sweden so he had to make sure he had the requisite papers to prove his citizenship. If voting is worthwhile then you make the effort. If you can't, or won't make the effort no one is to blame but yourself.
Your paternal grandparents were alive when buses were a thing people supported.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I don't think Voter ID is enough. I also think that you're living in a fairy tale if you think the voting process is the only area where the honor system is abused. They have, of late, finally realized that the weakest area is at the registration process itself. Most states do not require you, at any time, including registration, to prove either your identity or citizenship. They've started to realize that comparing voter rolls to registration to find voter fraud is a lost cause and based on recent reports, realize that the problem is large and is found when doing things like comparing it to jury duty forms (e.g. Maryland) or polling non-residents themselves (e.g. CCES).

Frankly, the Federal government has made it nearly impossible for some states to check their voter rolls for illegals and felons by denying access to Federal databases. So you say that voter fraud is non-existent while at the same time, the process as it stands now, makes it impossible to prove. Nice little thing the Democrats have created there. Now why would the Federal government reject access to those databases by the state? Why wouldn't they want the states to have the ability to prove voter fraud?

You need to put down the propaganda and use some common sense. The GOP does not have a racists agenda. But then again, the Democrats are counting on voters like yourself to believe their propaganda.
Your out of date. The feds have long since agreed to make the involved data bases available.

It has long been known that non-citizen voting occurs. The southern Florida one a ways back made that clear. In that case the non-citizen voters were Cuban mostly and likely voted majority Republican.

Again though virtually all of these voters had photo ID.

the other great source of voter fraud is and always has been absentee ballots. But again these tend to go to the Republicans so not of interest.

I don't think the GOP agenda is racists. They are out to block Democratic voters of any color.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the op assumption are based on his own bias about liberals. for this liberal completely untrue.

Pundit Press: What Luck! Obama Won Dozens of Cleveland Districts with 100% of the Vote

Old 11-03-2014, 05:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Your out of date. The feds have long since agreed to make the involved data bases available.

It has long been known that non-citizen voting occurs. The southern Florida one a ways back made that clear. In that case the non-citizen voters were Cuban mostly and likely voted majority Republican.

Again though virtually all of these voters had photo ID.

the other great source of voter fraud is and always has been absentee ballots. But again these tend to go to the Republicans so not of interest.

I don't think the GOP agenda is racists. They are out to block Democratic voters of any color.
Yes, the databases are 'somewhat' available as long as the states have an alien ID for the people they are looking up. Um, they tend not to put that on voter registration forms! I know the Florida case is the one that prompted that and even to date, the Feds have been less than willing to provide all the information necessary to ensure the voter rolls are comprised of legal citizens who are eligible to vote.

Well, not to rehash the same old thing but you know where I stand on things (e.g. registration process is the weaker point). Oh absentee ballots are whole 'nother concern and one that I think could be solved easily but no one would EVER like that idea - probably not either party. Just require the ballot to be notarized. I imagine that would go over like a fart in church though. I can hear the arguments now; wouldn't even touch the outrage over having something as simple as ID.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Your paternal grandparents were alive when buses were a thing people supported.
The Democrats are known for going above and some would say beyond for getting out their base. If this is such an insurmountable obstacle perhaps they should address this issue.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
I actually wouldn't mind allowing permanent legal residents vote in elections, as long as they are here legally and were never here illegally.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
What does that have to do with anything? Most of us already know that Cleveland is a very democratic city.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I actually wouldn't mind allowing permanent legal residents vote in elections, as long as they are here legally and were never here illegally.
If one is here now legally, it doesn't matter if they were once here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies