Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

When I was a bank teller in 1971, the threshold for reporting cash deposits was $10,000. You mean to tell me that in over 40 years, that threshold hasn't been raised? $10,000 back then was a lot bigger deal than $10,000 is today. That's something no one on the non-business news media is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When I was a bank teller in 1971, the threshold for reporting cash deposits was $10,000. You mean to tell me that in over 40 years, that threshold hasn't been raised? $10,000 back then was a lot bigger deal than $10,000 is today. That's something no one on the non-business news media is talking about.

I keep about a grand in the bank, all the rest of my money is kept on my property. good luck finding it, will probably take a 100 people 300 years to find it.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The American people already showed the government we give the IRS a pass as long as a democrat is in power. Why would they need an excuse to take money from people.
Yeah, this would never happen if a republican was in power.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:48 AM

16,609 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Civil forfetiture laws need to be fixed.

I do get a kick out of what people think amounts to government overreach though. A nurse shows no symptons but she can be held captive for 21 days and many are okay with that but take our money or delay the purchase of a gun and the government is out of control,
I am not sure I understand your logic, or lack thereof.

The nurse in question could pose a health risk to people with a fatal disease. I am sure Typhoid Mary was a nice person, but she should have been quarantined much sooner than she was.

As far as getting up in arms about taking our money, are you implying you would be immune to such behavior of the government if it happened to you and you did nothing wrong

Lastly, as far as guns go, many people believe even allowing the government to have a say in how soon, how often, or what type of guns they may own is an infringement of their 2nd Amendment Constitutional rights. Much in the same way any suppressing of their 1st Amendment rights when it comes to speech.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Our government is the new Gestapo, what can you say?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Yeah, this would never happen if a republican was in power.

yeah it would, but the dems would do the screaming, unless another dem makes it into the whitehouse.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 AM

13,971 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Welcome to life with a government you empower to give you everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Ford, 1974, in part
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”
We, the People, begged government to give us more and more and more. For the last 80 years, we've shed personal responsibilities one after the other onto Leviathan's plate so we can do less and live more comfortably. Read "Brave New World" ffs. We begged Leviathan to amass all this power.

Well, crap like the IRS seizing your stuff whenever they feel like it and living entirely outside the boundaries of the 4th and 5th Amendments is the fine print in our little Faustian bargain. As long as the trains run on time, right? Can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, right? But really, is it so hard to understand, given how just about everyone can recall hearing "live under my roof, obey my rules" as kids? Same thing here, the American people just swapped out their parents for Leviathan, but the same rule follows. In your parent's house, they reserve the right to search your room and take your stuff whenever they please, and in Leviathan's house, same rule applies. Live under their roof, obey the rules.

I've lost count at the number of people who reply to a thread/post about government overreach with "don't like it, then leave" which is synonymous with "don't like my rules, then get your own house and pay your own bills."

Starting in 1932, we began collectively moving back into mom and dad's house as a people. Now we find out they snoop in our room and take our stuff. Bummer. But this is what happens when you abandon taking care of yourself and give all the power back to your new mom/dad called Leviathan.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Sounds like Greece that confiscating confiscating money. Money might be safer buried in the backyard. Maybe that's what the shovel ready jobs of for though.
If it comes down to the gov just seizing all assets,,,,money buried will be worthless anyway. They will simply change the currency. But I love the shovel ready comment lol.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,597,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
There are many ways to file taxes.

If a small business does it right.......there is no need to cheat.
Indeed. Tax avoidance>tax evasion.

It's insanely easy to save big bucks on taxes by following the law.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
While this is a sad story, please give me an example of the last time you deposited $33,000 IN CASH to your account.
Proof Surrogate
Substituting a distracting comment for a real proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Who has that much in cash? Even owning a restaurant, wouldn't most of the till be debit cards, credit cards, etc.?
It is not up to you to decide how people should run their businesses. Only anal retentive control freaks are into that.

Maybe she is old school and makes her deposits weekly, instead of daily.

How do you know that wasn't over the weekend?

Or did you forget that the banking week ends at 2:00 PM on Friday?

This is what happens when stu-tards give government way too much power, with way too many employees with too much time on their hands and an unnecessary collection of personal data on people.

Government lets software sift through the data finding the weakest people they can bully.

The IRS scheme is anti-federal.

The correct collection scheme is all taxes are paid to the State, and then, the States turn the money over to the federal government.

In that way, if the government starts acting stupid, States can withhold payment.

Not amused...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies