Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
There are many ways to file taxes.

If a small business does it right.......there is no need to cheat.
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
While this is a sad story, please give me an example of the last time you deposited $33,000 IN CASH to your account. I've had occasions where's I've moved largish amounts of investment money, and they've always said there was no problem because it was clearly defined where the money was coming from.

Think about the last time you receiving some large amount. Wasn't it a check?

Who has that much in cash? Even owning a restaurant, wouldn't most of the till be debit cards, credit cards, etc.?
Who cares "when was the last time". Cash is legal tender in this country. I can have five times that amount, and it should still be fine. Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

A check? I just sold a motorhome last week. It was a Saturday afternoon, and the folks wanted to take it home over the weekend. Should I have to wait until a bank is open, then take time out of both of our days to get a check? Passed on selling it? Or should I take a personal check and hope for the best?

The man had cash, because he knew how much the rig would cost. When I deposited the money, it's nobody's business where it came from, until it is PROVEN that it's illegal.

Closer and closer to tyranny, people.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Remember how we used to laugh at crazy old people, those who had lived through the Depression, always ranted against the government and hated banks so much they kept their money under a mattress?

Turns out they weren't so crazy or paranoid after all.
In case you haven't read the other civil forfeiture coverage, can't have anything really. Not just bank accounts. That isn't even including all the different ways the local govt can take someones house, for example, due to many different kinds of bills or fees, not just taxes.

John Oliver - Did you know police can just take your stuff if they suspect it's involved in a crime?

Last edited by CDusr; 10-27-2014 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Who cares "when was the last time". Cash is legal tender in this country. I can have five times that amount, and it should still be fine. Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

A check? I just sold a motorhome last week. It was a Saturday afternoon, and the folks wanted to take it home over the weekend. Should I have to wait until a bank is open, then take time out of both of our days to get a check? Passed on selling it? Or should I take a personal check and hope for the best?

The man had cash, because he knew how much the rig would cost. When I deposited the money, it's nobody's business where it came from, until it is PROVEN that it's illegal.

Seems it has arrived. This kind of behavior is just inhumane.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM

296 posts, read 413,960 times
It is time to change the civil forfeiture laws. This is a serious crime against the American people.
Please write your state representatives. Let's see what kind of excuses they have for allowing this.

In the Philadelphia forum, there is a good post by renault about a similar case.

Civil Forfeiture in Phily

Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Much of this theft by LE is driven by the war on drugs. Without the war on drugs, they would not assume that anyone with cash is a drug dealer.

Ending the war on drugs is long overdue. It has ruined hundreds of thousands of lives and cost American taxpayers billions of dollars. Meanwhile, Obama is the Leader of the War on Drugs. He could end it or reduce the hysteria overnight.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you think that mom and pop shops dont cheat on taxes?
That's a whole other topic. We are talking about the government stealing money from someone who has not been charged with a crime. Not tax cheats.

If you want to talk about tax cheats, focus on Obama's cabinet.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 AM

296 posts, read 413,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Much of this theft by LE is driven by the war on drugs. Without the war on drugs, they would not assume that anyone with cash is a drug dealer.

Ending the war on drugs is long overdue. It has ruined hundreds of thousands of lives and cost American taxpayers billions of dollars. Meanwhile, Obama is the Leader of the War on Drugs. He could end it or reduce the hysteria overnight.
Yes, you are right. Police, DEA, IRS and others will throw a fit if we try to change forfeitfure laws. However, the current laws are wrong and cause agencies to be biased towards collecting more money.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
This has been going on for some years now. I remember reading Gary Paul Johnston, LA cop who wrote about guns, expressing disgust over the effect of asset forfeiture on policing. He was a cop's cop, probably a big time drug warrior too, but he saw that the forfeiture laws turned his profession into one of brigrandry.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:50 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
all the more reason to not trust banks and not deposit the money at all. I have very little money in the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies