Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only people with college degrees be allowed to vote?
Yes, that would be good for the country 7 13.21%
No, dumb people are people, too 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times

Advertisements

I don't think that a college degree should be necessary to vote - but I DO think it would be a good idea if SOME kind of measure would be in place so that the people voting would have SOME kind of intelligence. Watch 'Water's World' on Fox News - he goes out to public areas, asks 'typical' people questions about current events - and these people are as dumb as rocks!

You need to have some understanding of the question, before you can make a smart decision on it...

Some type of unbiased measurement - results of that 'test' would enable your 'vote' to count on, let's say a scale from 1 to 10 -
Someone who doesn't do well would, in this example, get a lower 'vote count' - than someone who understood what it was they were voting on.

It's out of reach to ever expect this - as it's not allowing everyone's vote to count evenly - but some people going to polls are complete and total IDIOTS - just look at who they've elected twice in the last 7 years....

This political bit of satire brought to you commercial free....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:37 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
In practice this equates to tons of college graduates with no jobs (in their field) and employers with higher than necessary requirements for positions. Academic inflation raises employer expectations and reduces people's access to jobs that would otherwise not require a degree. I would expect more people to go for college in a system that doesn't leave people with student debt up to their nose!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:51 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Some of the biggest morons I know have college degrees. On the other hand, my plumber is one of the smartest, savviest people I ever met...and he's worth a small fortune. I'd be more interested in repealing the 26th amendment and repealing the youth vote because 18-20 yr olds are idiots. I'd also like to see property owners given a bigger stake in their vote, especially in local elections. What else, oh yeah, I want to see as many Democrats swept out of office as possible today.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Some of the biggest morons I know have college degrees. On the other hand, my plumber is one of the smartest, savviest people I ever met...and he's worth a small fortune. I'd be more interested in repealing the 26th amendment and repealing the youth vote because 18-20 yr olds are idiots. I'd also like to see property owners given a bigger stake in their vote, especially in local elections. What else, oh yeah, I want to see as many Democrats swept out of office as possible today.
Great!

And while we are at it let's get rid of the voting power of old scared white folks who are stuck in the 50's and 60's.

Your plan should work great :-)

Old 11-04-2014, 12:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
While it probably would be good overall, it's unfair. Stupid people are allowed to have opinions too (and so often they're the ones who want to tell everyone what that opinion is).

If we want a smarter voting base, we need more accessible college education. Restricting it to those that can afford it (remember, having a degree does not mean you're smarter than everyone else; it might mean your just a smart as the guy who couldn't afford to go) is unfair.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
op, your poll is asinine although I do believe if you don't pay taxes, no skin in the game, if you are on the dole, you shouldn't vote. It's like allowing a 2 year old who are the center of their own world vote.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
I would have voted NO, but I can't go along with the tag line that was added.
I have known entirely too many college graduates (some with "advanced degrees") who were too dumb to pour urine out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the bottom of the heel.
Sorry, OP, but in my experience "educated" does not always equate with "smart"!
In fact, some of the SMARTEST people I have ever known (or read about) did not graduate from high school!

check it out:
The College Dropouts Hall of Fame: Famous college dropouts, successful college dropouts, and rich college dropouts

Old 11-04-2014, 12:25 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything one learned in school." - Albert Einstein

Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Should only people with college degrees be allowed to vote?
I constantly hear people complaining that people that don't know anything about economy, democracy, etc. are voting and messing up the country.

What do you think of passing a law that says that only people with college degrees can vote
Would that make us a better country?

the assumption is that people with college degrees are the smart people... i cant say I agree with that.

take America for example. we have been led by Harvard/Yale educated people for a generation and we are going to carp....

maybe what we need is to disallow the college educated from having a voice or a vote....

Old 11-04-2014, 12:29 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
I also think the actual dumb people arent always those lacking college degrees.... i am seeing more than a few being educated INTO ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies