Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only people with college degrees be allowed to vote?
Yes, that would be good for the country 7 13.21%
No, dumb people are people, too 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No, only those who haven't been brainwashed in liberal bastions of so called higher learning should be able to vote.
Yes, all education is a waste and all universities are liberal bastions.

Unless you don't vote, you're often voting for candidates with not only Bachelor's, but also postgraduate degrees.

Perhaps you shouldn't use the Internet or computers...invented by the scary edumucated.

Conservatives need more representation in academia...not to trash it.

And, like I said, this would actually *hurt* the GOP politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No, only those who haven't been brainwashed in liberal bastions of so called higher learning should be able to vote.
Congratulations, that's an even stupider idea than the OP. Besides, the Kochs wouldn't like it.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
afoigrokerkok took the words right out of my mouth:

College protestors are loud (and often obnoxious), but they represent a small sliver of college students as a whole.
Actually I'm sure college students do lean liberal. But I think that's primarily a function of their age. Young people that age who don't go to college also lean Dem. In fact, I might even guess they're a tad more likely to vote Dem if only because they're more likely to be black or Hispanic and black and Hispanic youth are less likely to attend college (not trying to be racist...just pointing out reality). Romney won even 18-24 yo whites.

Some actual stats (scroll down to "Education" for relevant data):

http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/re...use/exit-polls

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...lls/table.html

Old 11-04-2014, 02:11 PM

716 posts, read 393,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
wrong.

us conservatives have crazy ideas like... people should be able to prove they are who they say they are to vote....
Republican leaders have confessed that they’re suppressing the vote, it‘s just sad and pathetic that their enablers don’t have the balls to face the truth.

Phyllis Schlafly;
“The reduction in the number of days allowed for early voting is particularly important because early voting plays a major role in Obama’s ground game. The Democrats carried most states that allow many days of early voting, and Obama’s national field director admitted, shortly before last year’s election, that ‘early voting is giving us a solid lead in the battleground states that will decide this election.’

Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai said;
“…their voter identification law would “allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania….”

Former Florida GOP chairman Jim Greer;
“…told The Palm Beach Post that the explicit goal of the state’s voter-ID law was Democratic suppression. “The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told the Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only ... ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’…”

Wisconsin Republican Legislator Dale Schultz;
“…Asked why his party pushed the bill, Schultz responded, “I am not willing to defend them anymore. I’m just not and I’m embarrassed by this.”

"It’s just, I think, sad when a political party — my political party — has so lost faith in its ideas that it’s pouring all of its energy into election mechanics. And again, I’m a guy who understands and appreciates what we should be doing in order to make sure every vote counts, every vote is legitimate. But that fact is, it ought to be abundantly clear to everybody in this state that there is no massive voter fraud. The only thing that we do have in this state is we have long lines of people who want to vote. And it seems to me that we should be doing everything we can to make it easier, to help these people get their votes counted. And that we should be pitching as political parties our ideas for improving things in the future, rather than mucking around in the mechanics and making it more confrontational at the voting sites and trying to suppress the vote…”

Old 11-04-2014, 02:12 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe I am dumb.......I did not go to college.

But, I have noticed many politicians go out of their way to talk to me.

Could it be money?????

No......I am to dumb.
It's even better if your pretty dumb with money. Then they have three reasons to talk to you

Last edited by phma; 11-04-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It's even better if your pretty dumb with money. Then they three reasons to talk to you
I am OK for an old lady.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
This forum just gets worse and worse. I think the OP's idea is one of the worst things I have ever heard suggested in earnest.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
This forum just gets worse and worse. I think the OP's idea is one of the worst things I have ever heard suggested in earnest.
It is right up there on the stupid list.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahhh.....so apparently your argument (and others) is that the politicians aren't representing the wealthy well enough. got it.
What I meant was that people who don't pay a certain tax (federal, state, property) should have no say on the rate of those taxes paid by others.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Service = Citizenship!! Only those who serve or have served should be allowed to vote!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies