Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fracking
Yes 70 57.85%
No 44 36.36%
Not sure 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
are you kidding me?
compared to what?
compared to all the chemicals they are pouring into the ground while drilling...dangerous chemicals....
See my previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 04:26 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,071,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This is a picture out of my sister's backdoor at her ranch. They have fracking on their land and pretty much all of the land you can see in this picture. You tell me. Ugly?

[IMG][/IMG]
You tell me. Ugly?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:32 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,041,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You tell me. Ugly?

Honestly, I've seen silos that are uglier. Of course, maybe you're not used to rural settings. Still don't think it makes the land itself look ugly.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:44 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,759,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I live in a rural area. And this is the desert...we don't have forests and thickets to hide that stuff.

Plus, you can't hide the trucks, man camps, increased traffic, destroyed roads and damaged bridges and overpasses.

It's just not worth it.
I doubt you have any shale to frack where you live. So it would be no worry for you.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
This is what is sitting 100 feet from my neighbor's house, only it is painted green and recently they added a slightly smaller, white plastic tank right next to it.

Such a nice view from your deck, huh?
It won't bother you much when that royalty check rolls in.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:48 AM

[quote=nononsenseguy;37284853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Utterly silly.

Go live in the country (like I do) where you have a well. Find out what's in the water that comes out of the ground, far from any fracking or any other industry activity. It contains a lot of iron (we have to keep up with that, because it makes the fixtures, such as tub and sink, turn red orange), sulfur (makes it smell like rotten eggs, but you get used to it), and a variety of other chemicals. There are few places on this earth where water is "just water."

This is one reason why cities add chlorine, and other chemicals to the city water (fluoride too - helps prevent tooth decay). In fact, you can buy a purification system for your well water that chlorinates it, and removes other sediment and chemicals.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone dying from drinking either city water, or untreated or treated well water.

You don't know what your drinking in your own water, but you're quick to point out the miniscule amount of chemicals in fracking fluid that never reach ground water anyway, because the fracking takes place hundreds of feet below the water table.
Finally, someone with some common sense. Rep your way.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,071,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Honestly, I've seen silos that are uglier. Of course, maybe you're not used to rural settings. Still don't think it makes the land itself look ugly.
It certainly isn't something you want close to your house, practically in your back yard, which is what they did in my neighborhood.

Like I said, they put this thing 100 feet from my neighbor's house, if I walk out in my back yard I can see it. Thankfully, I can't see it from my home or my deck and patio. Too bad my neighbor can't say the same.

The point is, these companies don't care if they ruin your property or what you are left to live with.

The least they could have done, was put an attractive fence and landscaping around that monstrosity.

My neighbor and I refused to sign for the well, even got an attorney, we couldn't stop it.

In the process, I got a list of the investors in this particular well, most of them were doctors and lawyers.

Do you think for one minute they would allow something like that to be put a hundred feet from their homes?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I'm all for pumping tons of arsenic salts into the ground where it has every chance of mixing with ground water that Red Staters drink, wash or pump on to their farms. Its my way of exterminating unwanted Red Staters!.
Arsenic is not part of the chemical makeup of the fracking water, arsenic is picked up by the water from the ground where it occurs naturally. Most of the water is reused and what is disposed of is filtered/treated before returned to it's source. At least that is the way it is supposed to work.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times
Quote:
You tell me. Ugly?

Why do you think this has anything to do with fracking? We see such things in many fields around here, which have been here for many years; long before fracking began to take place in the area.

The photo you pasted in your post is more likely from an old oil well. Even so, these tanks are on private land owned by farmers (in most cases) and are therefore none of your damn business!

Old 11-16-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
This is what is sitting 100 feet from my neighbor's house, only it is painted green and recently they added a slightly smaller, white plastic tank right next to it.

Such a nice view from your deck, huh?
I did a little research on your picture, Mercer county, Pa right? This is what I found and it appears to have been there long before fracking existed. The picture you posted is from Mercer Co, Pa, you are in Ohio, either you have a big yard stretching into Mercer county or you are lying, which is it? This is the caption from the picture...

"Where water was obtained from wells, pumps were above-ground equipment. As well, in many parts of the state, extractive industries have long coexisted with agriculture. Natural gas piping and wellheads are especially common in the western, southwestern, and northwestern portions of the state. Though the oil and gas industries are well over a half century old, few of these fixtures will be older than 50 years"
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 11-16-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies