Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 10:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That is a huge issue in St. Louis county. I heard the annual starting pay for Ferguson was only 24k. That is so wrong for that type of profession. They interviewed Blacks who chose professions outside of Law Enforcement and asked them why didn't they consider being a police officer. The number one reason was lack of integrity of many LE agencies.

Looking at Darren Wilson who grew up in St. Charles county and lives in Crestwood both are over 90% White. When you also consider he was employed by the Jennings PD before they where taken over by the St. Louis County PD due to corruption and racism. His profile raises eyebrows. Ad insult to injury, his testimony referring to Michael Brown as a "demonic it" doesn't say much for the hiring practices of Ferguson.

I know of Officers who are committed to protecting and serving and they don't make a lot of money. They love what they do. Adjustments need to be made to put an end to corrupt and dysfunctional LE as well as building up the profession to appeal to people who would love their jobs and commit to protecting and serving. I think if that is done, the police force would automatically diversify. Diversity is needed but it has to happen naturally not forced.

man 24K? I might consider being a cop for 3 times that amount. No way I'd deal with what cops have to deal with for 24 k a year. And at 75K a year, I'd still only want to work in an upscale hood where I'm less likely to get shot at or have to chase down an ignorant jumping over fences and what not.

Keep in mind when you go to a police job interview with your pants hanging around your knees and underwear hanging out, they may exclude hiring you because wearing a police utility belt around your knees would make maneuvering difficult.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
You are wrong. Being unarmed doesn't mean you are incapable of murder. Re-read that, and let it really sink in.
Welcome, and I appreciate your opinion. It is all in the state of mind. I have personally ran after suspects through fields and they ended up in stores. Guess what, I had to use heightened judgement and took out my taser. The suspect had plenty of in-reach weapons but was un-armed. I had to be aware of my surroundings and civilians inside the store. I didn't matter what he had done before that caused a threat to me. I had been in these situations before that I immediately didn't think to KILL because I observed him to be un-armed. This person was much larger than me.

Again, you are underestimating the training of officers. If you are not in these situations often enough, you panic. The result is desk duty for being a p***y.

P.S. If you fear for you life, you hold back and don't try to be a hero. You set up a box (perimeter, bolo, description, and wait for back up). You can't feel like a 5 year old but then feel like jimmy superfly once the subject runs away.....

Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I don't think Leslie McSpadden and Louis Head are married - and he's not MB's stepfather.

(The police report from when Leslie and friends attacked her former mother-in-law for selling MB merchandise lists Head as her boyfriend.)

I'm split on Head being charged for inciting a riot. Though I definitely believe he did, I'm wondering if charging him will only add more fuel to the fire so to speak. And I have sympathy for the 98% of Ferguson (and St. Louis) residents who would like all this crap to stop.
yanno, all those who were rioting, and believe me, I'm not in disagreement with you, but when you think about it, all those who rioted, were grown adults, weren't they, old enough to know better.....
and they are the cop haters....the ones who have been in trouble with law enforcement for breaking the laws....like I said before, if they are rioting, turning over cop cars, setting buildings on fire, shoot them....they are a menace to society and will accomplish nothing but maybe killing someone some day. I've had it with this crap....law abiding citizens wouldn't do such things.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
man 24K? I might consider being a cop for 3 times that amount. No way I'd deal with what cops have to deal with for 24 k a year.
I know I wouldn't

Quote:
And at 75K a year, I'd still only want to work in an upscale hood where I'm less likely to get shot at or have to chase down an ignorant jumping over fences and what not.
I think it takes a certain type of person to be in LE. Especially in high crime areas. There has to be a certain connection and passion to make that work.

Quote:
Keep in mind when you go to a police job interview with your pants hanging around your knees and underwear hanging out, they may exclude hiring you because wearing a police utility belt around your knees would make maneuvering difficult.
People who do that are unemployable outside of Walmart. I'm writing about the ones who know better and who would make awesome officers because of their life experiences and education are taking a pass on LE positions.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Halfamazing

^^ real cop imo.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Welcome, and I appreciate your opinion. It is all in the state of mind. I have personally ran after suspects through fields and they ended up in stores. Guess what, I had to use heightened judgement and took out my taser. The suspect had plenty of in-reach weapons but was un-armed. I had to be aware of my surroundings and civilians inside the store. I didn't matter what he had done before that caused a threat to me. I had been in these situations before that I immediately didn't think to KILL because I observed him to be un-armed. This person was much larger than me.

Again, you are underestimating the training of officers. If you are not in these situations often enough, you panic. The result is desk duty for being a p***y.

P.S. If you fear for you life, you hold back and don't try to be here. You can't feel like a 5 year old but then feel like jimmy superfly once he runs away.....
Honor in skill, honor in ability; does that exist much anymore?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
I'm a He, BTW.

DNA can be extracted from the tiniest drop of blood. If you can't comprehend why a fingerprint from MB on the firearm might be hard to find, there is nothing I can do to help you.
They did not test for fingerprints. That was a mistake. Whether they could find Brown's prints is another issue. Prints don't always transfer, nor are they always identifiable, but still... test for them.

I'm 100% sure Brown's prints on the gun wouldn't change the opinion of many people, but LE should know by now that what they don't do right can always be used against them.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Cops are trained to avoid fist fights. One lucky punch and the cop is down and his firearm is used against him. Cops want to go home to their families.
Think about that for a minute.

Have you ever conducted a ride along in a rough neighborhood? Ever walk down alleys deliberately looking for dope boys thugs? Ever chase after a thug simply because he ran and you had not even reasonable suspicion? Ever run into an alarm call by yourself and not wait for back up only to be reprimanded by your peer officrs and Sgt for not being safe? Ever clear a house alone without back up?

If you answered yes, like many officers have done, you are not exactly "wanting to go home to your families"...

You will have to make the connection. You can't be a soft hero but then want to go home to your dog after doing all types of stupid heroic things to get yourself and other officers hurt...

Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:

P.S. If you fear for you life, you hold back and don't try to be here. You can't feel like a 5 year old but then feel like jimmy superfly once he runs away.....

Wilson pretty much admitted to being panicked. He didn't aim many of his shots, because he didn't have time. He was outnumbered (MB and Dorian Johnson) and outsized (210 lbs vs. 290 lbs). After firing the first two rounds in the vehicle, he also SHOULD have been temporarily deaf. Surrounded by a community that self admittedly isn't exactly a big fan of police officers. I would have been uneasy no question about it.

This isn't a case of 8 bad cops beating the hell out of a poor defenseless boy scout. People trying to turn it into something similar is just wrong.

I agree with you on some points however, which is if I'd been in Wilson's shoes I would have likely stayed in my car after the first shots, and tried to follow him from the vehicle until backup arrived. The problem is Wilson didn't know he'd shot MB, so waiting till MB turned up at a local ER to get treatment wasn't an option. He had to keep him in sight or he may have lost him for good. And after being punched by a suspect I imagine Wilson wasn't in a "I'll let it slide this time" type mood.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Think about that for a minute.

Have you ever conducted a ride along in a rough neighborhood? Ever walk down alleys deliberately looking for dope boys thugs? Ever chase after a thug simply because he ran and you had not even reasonable suspicion? Ever run into an alarm call by yourself and not wait for back up only to be reprimanded by your peer officrs and Sgt for not being safe? Ever clear a house alone without back up?

If you answered yes, like many officers have done, you are not exactly "wanting to go home to your families"...

You will have to make the connection. You can't be a soft hero but then want to go home to your dog after doing all types of stupid heroic things to get yourself and other officers hurt...
Are you saying police have no desire to live and go home at the end of their shift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies