Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

What's happening in Maine right now:

"Fresh from his re-election in the deep-blue state of Maine, Gov. Paul LePage, a Republican, is carrying through with his election promise to make sure the state doesn’t indiscriminately hand out free stuff to the unworthy. Able-bodied adults can receive food-stamp assistance only if they try to work, at least part-time...Work requirements are nothing new. Republicans and Democrats worked together to put it in place in the 1996 Clinton-era welfare-reform law. President Obama ruined this bipartisan compromise in his stimulus bill, distributing an “information memorandum” making it clear that the administration would approve any state’s request for a waiver. Maine won’t seek a waiver, and able-bodied food-stamp recipients between the ages of 18 and 49 will have to work at least 20 hours a week or perform volunteer service to get the benefit. This affects about 12,000 current beneficiaries who collect $15 million in free stuff every year."

EDITORIAL: Maine's Gov. LePage leads way on food stamp reform - Washington Times

Some history on welfare to work (not food stamps) is in the 2012 article from which this paragraph comes:

"The 1996 welfare reform law required that a portion of the able-bodied adults in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program — the successor to the Aid to Families with Dependent Children program — work or prepare for work. Those work requirements were the heart of the reform’s success: Welfare rolls dropped by half, and the poverty rate for black children reached its lowest level in history in the years following. But the Obama administration has jettisoned the law’s work requirements, asserting that, in the future, no state will be required to follow them."

How Obama has gutted welfare reform - The Washington Post

If you want to read what's going on in various states currently regarding the work requirement/work requirement waiver and food stamps:

More States Enforce Food Stamp Work Requirements

First question is: Are states reinstating a work requirement for food stamps due to an improving economy, because food stamp issuance is killing their budgets, some political reason (Why did the governor of Maine wait until after his re-election to do it?), concern for the taxpayers in their state shouldering the burden, some other reason?

Second question is: To your knowledge, did any politician at any level of government in your state campaign on the issue of taxpayers bearing the burden of government "free stuff"/food stamps/welfare in 2014?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,053 times
It's not slavery, nobody is forcing you to take food stamps or other benefits, if you don't want to work you don't have to accept the benefits.

Plenty of us worked crappy low paying jobs, for low pay, and didn't take food stamps or such. I recall the day I was standing in a checkout line with my mac and cheese and hamburger while the guy in front of me paid for a steak with food stamps. Good for him I guess, glad I could help out with my tax money, thank God Reagan came in and lowered my taxes!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM

471 posts, read 807,799 times
Why should one not have to work for it? Tell them to grab a reflective vest, a trash bag and tell them they'll have to clean up the public roads for their food stamps. See how quick they come off of it.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Now if the other states would do the same......................

Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
I don't have a problem with work requirements, as long as the government guarantees that anyone wanting food stamps will have access to that work. Otherwise, you're just guaranteeing that some families will not have enough food.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
It's not slavery, nobody is forcing you to take food stamps or other benefits, if you don't want to work you don't have to accept the benefits.

Plenty of us worked crappy low paying jobs, for low pay, and didn't take food stamps or such. I recall the day I was standing in a checkout line with my mac and cheese and hamburger while the guy in front of me paid for a steak with food stamps. Good for him I guess, glad I could help out with my tax money, thank God Reagan came in and lowered my taxes!

Were you a homeowner at the time? When Reagan came in and lowered my taxes, rents necessarily skyrocketed and I became worse off, keeping less of what I earned.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't have a problem with work requirements, as long as the government guarantees that anyone wanting food stamps will have access to that work. Otherwise, you're just guaranteeing that some families will not have enough food.
No-one is guaranteed anything in life. No-one owes anyone anything. If you want to eat bad enough you'll do what you have to do to get food on your table.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:44 AM

What would conservatives say if a food stamp recipient chose to fulfill the work requirement by volunteering as a community organizer?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post

That's why they put in the volunteer option.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Are there enough jobs in Maine to support this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies