Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should "Under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?
Yes, remove it 51 49.51%
No, keep it 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times

Advertisements

First of all we must understand the pledge.
1. This was created for congress to SAY for themselves and for flag day from 1892 to 1942, 1945
2. In 1954 under god was added.
3. Some how this made it way into schools.

Now Even if you were FORCED to say the original one without under god phase this was to promote patriotism.
The pledge does not need to be in schools PERIOD to have GOOD citizens and Americans.
Teach history, the constitution and get the Department of Education out of schools all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
How about the fact that one keeping their mouth shut is out of respect and dignity for those who do have faith? Nobody is forcing you to say it, nobody is forcing you to believe, so why not leave it the hell alone?! It was fine for all of these years, and now all of a sudden it isn't? Because of some butt hurt militant atheists?
If "be quiet, go with the group, don't make waves, leave things alone, don't question authority" is the sort of lessons you want to impart, sure. But that means you have long ago abandoned all standing to accuse anyone else of "groupthink" or "mob mentality".

Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I know damn well the pledge is not part of the constitution.

Someone (was it you?) posted George Washington's Thanksgiving proclamation, and bolded all the references he made to god. Why? It seemed to be a rebuttal to something; maybe someone saying that church and state are supposed to be separate.

The Washington proclamation post seemed to imply that if the Father of Our Country invoked the name of god that we all should.

I can think of no other reason someone would post Washington's Thanksgiving proclamation with all the references to god bolded. Maybe someone had a brain fart?
"I can think of no other reason" As someone said, " You can't reason with unreasonable people"

Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 AM

527 posts, read 709,110 times
Most people want to keep it...

Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Most people participating in this thread want to keep it.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
I believe the pledge should be voluntary and "Under God" should be voluntary.

If you don't want to stand and say the pledge, just remain seated and hang out for a mere 15 seconds.

If you want to say the pledge but not "under God", just don't say it.

I think it's pretty simple.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im an atheist. Leaving the room or not saying it is noticed, there a lot of pressure and occasional violence if you do not say it.

Kids suck.
You mean peer pressure?
works well for gangs and social justice and is what is missing from communities trying to keep the peace.
Though if anyone but the social justice crowd uses it ti becomes bullying.

It would be frightening toi think oung kids would grow to be under the impression that our rights came from the government. That would not be very stabilizing for society, politics or engendering self respect.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It would be frightening toi think oung kids would grow to be under the impression that our rights came from the government. That would not be very stabilizing for society, politics or engendering self respect.
I have to say I don't think it is an improvement to think that my rights derive from an imaginary being, or from any individual or group that claims to speak for this imaginary being.

Seems to me that my individual rights do not depend on whether or not I am religious. I have them because I was born into a society that agrees that each of us has rights by virtue of being human, and that any government we invent is duty-bound to observe those rights. In other words, I don't have rights because a particular government or religion says I do - I have them because I was born. As do you.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
I lost count. Is this the 147th or 148th time this has been brought to a court?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
It makes sense to use the original unadulterated version of the pledge. I don't think a lawsuit is necessary here, but they should do the right thing and return the pledge to it's original version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies