Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 05:01 AM

27,158 posts, read 15,330,669 times

Advertisements

Hopefully a larger segment of the people will begin to keep a closer active watch on government in the future due to our Obama experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama should be impeached if his does this, we need to stop this extra-constitutional crap before someone even more corrupt hoodwinks his way into office.

Obama himself has stated he cannot do this:
March 28, 2011
Remarks by the President at Univision Town Hall

"I, as the President, am obligated to enforce the law. I don't have a choice about that. ... With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that's just not the case, because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed .... For me to simply through executive order ignore those congressional mandates would not conform with my appropriate role as President."
Psst..... He didn't say that. Even if it is in a transcript on the offical White House website, he didn't say that. Even if it is immortalized on video, he didn't say that.

Seriously, at this point, I would just like him to acknowledge what he has said in the past about any number of topics. He might as well just tell us it doesn't matter what he says because he'll do whatever he wants.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,632,075 times
Presidents have issued executive orders since Washington. If Congress would do its' job and pass an Immigration bill, it would supercede any executive orders. But, they're not going to do that. They want to force Obama into this action, to use it in campaigns and to rally the knucklehead fringe. I think this is a mistake for the Party, as they will lose hispanic voters for a generation.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 4 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
The current occupier of the White House has said he would proceed with Amnesty "immigration reform" though Executive Order.
Republicans have gave a warning signal (like an Indian smoke signal) saying No, don't do it!

Could this be a treasonous act by the president and warrant impeachment?
Afterall, isn't it in the Constitution:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors. The Constitution, Article I, Section 3
Well, you would think so. Problem is, a lot of the folks in Washington are choosing to ignore this.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think it has been a dereliction of duty of congress to enact the legislation going back to Bush, we have already seen this movie. Boehner seems to be suddenly optimistic, that is misguided.

Other presidents used executive action for amnesty although not to this extent.
The only dereliction of duty was and IS failure to enforce immigration laws we ALREADY have.

Obama's Hispandering is greatly exacerbating the problem by putting out the hope for an amnesty.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:34 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The President isn't mandated anywhere in the constitution to execute the law, and they can do so in however they deem necessary at the time

Really? " “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

"Article 2, Section 3 of the Constitution: the president "shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed".

Since EVERY law passed by Congress and signed by thr President is considered to be lawful under the Constitution., I don't AGREE WITH YOUR CLAIM.
The Constitution makes no allowances for "style".

"In conflict theory, passive resistance is a rational response to demands that may simply be disagreed with. Passive-aggressive behavior can resemble a behavior better described as catty, as it consists of deliberate, active, but carefully veiled hostile acts which are distinctively different in character from the non-assertive style of passive aggression."

Passive-aggressive behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2014, 09:18 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Presidents have issued executive orders since Washington. If Congress would do its' job and pass an Immigration bill, it would supercede any executive orders. But, they're not going to do that. They want to force Obama into this action, to use it in campaigns and to rally the knucklehead fringe.
No, they don't. They want the borders closed first. Then, and only then, do they want to discuss amnesty.

Quote:
I think this is a mistake for the Party, as they will lose hispanic voters for a generation.
Which may be a huge part of why Obama is doing this.

But come on, why the sudden rush? He had 2 years where if he really wanted it done, it would have been a done deal (ie Obamacare). The current folks in the senate have been there at least 2 years, could have done it then, with his party held senate, if it was so crucial. If he now seriously wants immigration reform done, rather than having a grandstanding moment and threatening to immediately whip out the magical pen first, he would say "if blah, blah, blah type laws don't hit my desk in the next 6 months I will whip out my magical pen" - as in, you know, actually giving them time to do something. And why was this threat not made 6 months ago with this deadline, if having it done by December 1 was so all fire important? Oh, that's right, there was an election looming then.

This is a load of crap, and you know it. He is acting like a petulant little child who has been grounded but insists his parents let him go to the movie since he is going to climb out the window go anyway if they don't.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-15-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 09:26 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Presidents have issued executive orders since Washington. If Congress would do its' job and pass an Immigration bill, it would supercede any executive orders. But, they're not going to do that. They want to force Obama into this action, to use it in campaigns and to rally the knucklehead fringe. I think this is a mistake for the Party, as they will lose hispanic voters for a generation.
No it would not. Anymore than an exceutive order aimed at Congress would supersede their authority. Federal agencies are the domain of the President and not Congress. If he doesn't want to enforce the laws of the land then he isn't required to. And as far as I know there is no Supreme Court ruling that states otherwise.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The senate passed a bi-partisan immigration bill, I believe 63-47 it never reached the floor for a vote in the house. They found time to vote down Obama care 54 times but they couldn't allow a vote on the senate bill. Boehner indicated immigration reform was dead last June, now he is indicating that we need to wait until nest year. Threats to impeach a president for executive action shows they have no interest in solutions, just more of the same.

No reasonable reform will get through the house, whatever Obama does can be rescinded in 2017 if the next president chooses to do so. No action has been taken in almost 15 years and this is minor, we need real reform.
They haven't voted for it, because it is likely to not pass. To get it through the house, senate have to make some concessions which they have refused to do.

Also, if the house really wanted to vote for it, then they can just make a discharge petition.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Quote:
If Congress isn't passing an immigration bill, it is obvious that they don't want an immigration bill! They want the current laws regarding ILLEGAL immigration ENFORCED! We already have laws in place regarding LEGAL immigration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies