Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 09:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
One of the reasons to have a hybrid is to pay less for gas or use less gas.
You're paying less for gas because you are using less but that is irrelevant when you are talking about the fuel tax. You need to separate the cost of the fuel from the tax. It's specifically intended to pay for roads, traditionally the more you use the road the more tax you pay because you buy more gas. This fairly distributes those costs. Get it?

If for example you have tractor on your farm you can purchase off road diesel, it doesn't have that tax applied because it's not being used on public roads. Get it?

The only difference between it and on road diesel is it has a dye added, if the DOT finds that in your vehicle bend over. This is going to vary by state but you can even get a refund for taxed fuel you use in your lawnmower because again the tax is intended to as user fee to fund public roads.

If you're not paying the fuel tax because your car is using electric then you aren't paying the user fee that funds the roads you are driving on. Get it?

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-29-2014 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:09 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
That is stupid.................and unfair. Electrical cars are suppose to save the enviroment not rape our wallers. I mean seriously why bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It's a wow, wow. When's the last time you saw a Republican since Reagan saying that we should all pay our fair share, like we're all part of a big commune.

My suggestion is pay it like the Japanese pay it.
Road tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, someone is going to jump in and say, "THAT'S STUPID.", but you asked.
Um, PAYING YOUR OWN WAY/SHARE IS the Conservative mantra. Why the hell should everyone else pay for your usage of the road? You can save money at the gas pump, but just because you drive around in a hybrid doesn't mean your car doesn't tear up the road, just like any other car. Why should everyone else foot the bill for your daily road ripping commute just because you own a Prius?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No, they aren't. I explained why. They just don't have to pay as much because they aren't buying as much of the product that's taxed. That's not tax avoidance.
They are not paying a fair amount for road construction and maintenance, regardless of how that money is collected. Do you understand that?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:39 AM

794 posts, read 818,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Just because you're all pro-ACA doesn't mean everyone else is. There's no direct relationship between driving a prius and ACA.
Uh, no. I am completely against the ACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Sorry, everyone needs health insurance. And yes you should be forced to have it because I'm tired of paying for you. Who do you think picks up the cost for medical care if you don't have it. Our premiums go up because of you
Wrong. It's nothing but a wealth transfer scheme where money is taken from the young and/or healthy and given to the old and/or sick. Don't like high premiums? Do something about the rip off insurance companies, pharma companies, the hospital industry, and tort reform.

Forcing a giveaway to PRIVATE for profit insurance based on the fact that you "don't like" paying their graft is the height of liberal retardation.

The point was how libs don't like it when their own logic (in this case, a "tax" on hybrids) comes back on them.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:54 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're paying less for gas because you are using less but that is irrelevant when you are talking about the fuel tax. You need to separate the cost of the fuel from the tax. It's specifically intended to pay for roads, traditionally the more you use the road the more tax you pay because you buy more gas. This fairly distributes those costs. Get it?

If for example you have tractor on your farm you can purchase off road diesel, it doesn't have that tax applied because it's not being used on public roads. Get it?

The only difference between it and on road diesel is it has a dye added, if the DOT finds that in your vehicle bend over. This is going to vary by state but you can even get a refund for taxed fuel you use in your lawnmower because again the tax is intended to as user fee to fund public roads.

If you're not paying the fuel tax because your car is using electric then you aren't paying the user fee that funds the roads you are driving on. Get it?

Its an arbitrary method. Some people get a free ride. How do they arrive at the $ 50/year cost. One person could put ten miles a week on his hybrid and another 100 a week. Its not the same road usage but its the same fee.
What about motorcycles ? I could spend five dollars on gas for my motorcycle and drive my pickup the same distance and use $ 50 in fuel. There is no special fee for the motorcycle.
How about roads that have bicycle lanes or even those that don't. Where is the fee for them ?
What about pedestrians that cross the street ? They have white painted crosswalks and special lights to tell them when to cross. Maybe they need to put a nickel in before they can push the button and get the green light to cross. That light works 24/7 and uses electric too.
People are using the roadway and not paying a user fee so fairness can't be the issue.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:25 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its an arbitrary method. Some people get a free ride. How do they arrive at the $ 50/year cost. One person could put ten miles a week on his hybrid and another 100 a week. Its not the same road usage but its the same fee.
What about motorcycles ? I could spend five dollars on gas for my motorcycle and drive my pickup the same distance and use $ 50 in fuel. There is no special fee for the motorcycle.
How about roads that have bicycle lanes or even those that don't. Where is the fee for them ?
What about pedestrians that cross the street ? They have white painted crosswalks and special lights to tell them when to cross. Maybe they need to put a nickel in before they can push the button and get the green light to cross. That light works 24/7 and uses electric too.
People are using the roadway and not paying a user fee so fairness can't be the issue.
I run a garden service, I might do 5000 miles a year in my truck, but I use as much fuel in my equipment as I do in my truck. A person like me is paying for someones free ride. It all is a balance and hybrid technology could save all vehicles gas by adding more horsepower with less fuel consumption and less pollution. I would go for hybrid tech in my truck if it did not change the price or performance of my truck or added horsepower and better mpg's and less pollution, why not, its a win win win. But a tax on hybrid car owners is a tax against hybrid car owners, a punishment for trying to save.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
User fees are always fair, if you are going to use infrastructure you should pay for it. Now if you want to make complaints it's too high perhaps we need to consider using some of these fees for mass transit and other things they weren't collected for.
No coalman... I am a conservative, and this idea is BAD! I hate to agree with the libs here, but additional fees in this case are against conservative principles. Why can't we use the money we already have? We have to stop the nickel and dime stuff!

Old 11-29-2014, 01:37 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
That is stupid.................and unfair. Electrical cars are suppose to save the enviroment not rape our wallers. I mean seriously why bother.
I thought paying more for electic/hybrid cars, including the ongoing operating costs was a key factor in enhancing the "holier than thou" attitude of their owners. This change should only enhance that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangoo View Post
All you guys forget that while owners of ELECTRIC PLUG-IN cars don't pay fuel tax they also make the environment cleaner FOR EVERYBODY including owners of gas-engine cars.
By the way, Prius owners buy gas like everybody else, hybrids need gas to operate.
Because the electricity to run all electric cars is generated using that new-fangled zero emission electrical generation technology?

Have you fully evaluated the environmental impact of manufacturing large capacity Li-Ion batteries? Be sure to include the end-of-life disposal cycle.

Electric Cars Actually Dirtier Than Gasoline Cars?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Um, PAYING YOUR OWN WAY/SHARE IS the Conservative mantra. Why the hell should everyone else pay for your usage of the road? You can save money at the gas pump, but just because you drive around in a hybrid doesn't mean your car doesn't tear up the road, just like any other car. Why should everyone else foot the bill for your daily road ripping commute just because you own a Prius?
I don't think you understand the "infrastructure" concept. Liberals and conservatives alike pay taxes for road construction. Gas tax is just one type of tax paid. Others are property taxes, sales taxes and income taxes.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If you don't see a relatively lucrative black-market business for avoiding hundreds of dollars a year in taxes, you don't spend much time with the "criminal-types".

Secondly, a lot of people cheat on their taxes. Pretty much everyone I know who does itemized deductions and is self-employed does things like write off their personal expenses as business expenses. Most people who are employed by someone else and don't need to itemize won't cheat on their taxes, because they basically can't. Except I know a lot of family members who "claim each others kids" to maximize their deductions/tax return.

I promise you up front, I would cheat the system if it wasn't too difficult.
Honestly, I don't hang around criminals.

I'm self-employed, and I don't even attempt to cheat on my taxes. There's way too little time to even focus on that.

I'm concerned that you would cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies