Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When tax is intended to pay for the road you are using then yes you are avoiding the tax.
No, it's just buying less gas because less is needed. It's not like they take the gas and stash it in the Canary Islands so as to avoid paying tax on it.

What if people carpool? That cuts down on road damage as well as fuel burned. Should they be penalized on the same grounds as hybrid drivers? What if my car's in the shop for a day and I have to take a bus? Do I get charged a teeny weeny bit for not burning gas that day? No, this business of being charged to make up for a tax you would have paid had you bought something you did not in fact buy makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The mileage tax is the most fair. Simple solution, an odometer check when you renew your license tabs. Your tabs are then taxed by mileage and vehicle value and weight. Part of it goes for the roads. Then take the fuel tax off gasoline.
That will never happen. A mileage tax would just be an additional tax; another way to make money.

Quote:
Those fees get passed onto the consumer. It's the same thing when you buy something at the supermarket.
Buses are highly subsidized.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,399 times
Quote:
These are not additional fees, it's a replacement fee. If you want to drop the user fees then we need to consider dropping them across the board for everyone. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future as the road infrastructure is in such bad state because of neglect, at this point in time it's crucial that everyone is paying their fair share for the roads they are using because the use of these vehicles will only increase.
I do see your point, but I do NOT agree. Any time a (conservative?) republican wants to raise taxes or fees on a group of people (i.e. hybrid users) it looks bad. What are the motives here? I know people are worried that everyone will buy hybrids to save $50... seriously, read that again. Are people really dumping their cars to buy hybrids right now? With gas prices down, I don't think so. I'm just not a fan of sticking it to someone like this. Especially when it is NOT needed. Cut the fat from somewhere else!!!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No, it's just buying less gas because less is needed.
I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand but the tax collected on the fuel is not a tax on the fuel , it's a tax on road use. You can buy untaxed fuel but you can't use it on the road. Is it sinking in yet? That road tax needs to be applied equally to all vehicles.

It doesn't matter what fuel a 3000lb car is using as far as road maintenance costs, the tax on fuel that traditionally paid those expenses is now outdated and needs to be changed to accommodate cars that are using less or no gas at all.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
What are the motives here?
The motive is to fairly tax them the same as everyone else although that is not even true because $50 doesn't even close to replacing the lost revenue. The amount of these vehicles on the highway are only going to increase and it's not just electric. Natural gas is going to be big layer in the future. The traditional road tax on gasoline is becoming obsolete because it no longer fairly distributes those costs to everyone.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand but the tax collected on the fuel is not a tax on the fuel , it's a tax on road use. You can buy untaxed fuel but you can't use it on the road. Is it sinking in yet?

It doesn't matter what fuel a 3000lb car is using as far as road maintenance costs, the tax on fuel that traditionally paid those expenses is now outdated and needs to be changed to accommodate cars that are using less or no gas at all.
All taxes are ways to make money. "Sin" taxes that pay for education, health care, etc are a good example, also property taxes to pay for schools.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand but the tax collected on the fuel is not a tax on the fuel , it's a tax on road use. You can buy untaxed fuel but you can't use it on the road. Is it sinking in yet?
I don't drive a hybrid, but I drive something more efficient than an Escalade or a Mustang. I buy less gas than owners of those cars do. Convince me I should be charged an extra fee to cover road use because I'm not buying enough (however much that is) gas. Good luck.

Quote:
Then raise the tax on gas appropriately.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All taxes are ways to make money.
Most of the road tax on fuel goes for roads and if I had my way every penny of it would go to roads. Most notably some of it is shifted to mass transit.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post

Then raise the tax on gas appropriately.
That's not an option to fairly distribute road costs.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Fine. Anyone who burns less gas than the owner of the least efficient passenger vehicle on the road today has to pay a fine. Why limit it to just hybrids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies