Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 02:19 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Honestly, I don't hang around criminals.

I'm self-employed, and I don't even attempt to cheat on my taxes. There's way too little time to even focus on that.

I'm concerned that you would cheat.
Wow....especially when the music stops some day and somebody gets audited and....hey wait, those aren't your kids or somebody has an ugly break-up and they sh*t all over the family by ratting them out to the IRS.

No thanks. I'll just pay my taxes instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you buy a gallon of gas there is tax applied, on average about 52 cents. That is used to pay for roads, it's one of the fairer taxes we have. These cars are not paying that tax, if they expect to use the road they need to pay their fair share.

You're complaining about $50? That's about what the average person driving a gas vehicle will pay in tax with 6 or 7 fillups.
In a strict economic sense, the government is going to have a shortfall in the fuel tax as more vehicles become fuel efficient.

Hybrids make no sense because they really don't get much better gas mileage but all-electric vehicles would.

We like our roads so there is definitely going to be a new tax augmenting or replacing the gas tax over the future years.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:44 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangoo View Post
All you guys forget that while owners of ELECTRIC PLUG-IN cars don't pay fuel tax they also make the environment cleaner FOR EVERYBODY including owners of gas-engine cars.
By the way, Prius owners buy gas like everybody else, hybrids need gas to operate.
This relates to pollution tax. If your car creates more pollution, you should pay a tax on that because you're driving up the cost of healthcare (which we both know is supported by our government). But that's a different topic.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hybrids make no sense because they really don't get much better gas mileage but all-electric vehicles would.
Hybrids absolutely do get better gas mileage than their non-hybrid counterparts (in most cases).

Old 11-29-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In a strict economic sense, the government is going to have a shortfall in the fuel tax as more vehicles become fuel efficient.

We like our roads so there is definitely going to be a new tax augmenting or replacing the gas tax over the future years.
Right... and hopefully it will take into consideration the weight and miles driven. Perhaps also the amount of pollution it creates to combat health issues in relation to pollution.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangoo View Post
Yes. Why should people driving clunkers making 10 from a gallon pay less than those driving new cars like a new mustang making 35 mpg?
You're going to save money on gas but what does that have to do with paying for the roads you are driving on?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its an arbitrary method. Some people get a free ride. How do they arrive at the $ 50/year cost. One person could put ten miles a week on his hybrid and another 100 a week. Its not the same road usage but its the same fee.
I'd agree, it's completely unfair way to assess it because on average the $50 will never make up for the lost revenue.

Quote:
What about motorcycles ?
You motorcycle weighs a lot less than a vehicle and does less damage.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're going to save money on gas but what does that have to do with paying for the roads you are driving on?
Roads aren't fully funded by gasoline taxes. They receive funding from other forms of tax revenue as well.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
but additional fees ...
These are not additional fees, it's a replacement fee. If you want to drop the user fees then we need to consider dropping them across the board for everyone. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future as the road infrastructure is in such bad state because of neglect, at this point in time it's crucial that everyone is paying their fair share for the roads they are using because the use of these vehicles will only increase.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Roads aren't fully funded by gasoline taxes. They receive funding from other forms of tax revenue as well.
I guess we can start by stripping the funding given to mass transit then..... Anytime I have ever tried and research what is paying for what where roads are concerned it's a huge quagmire of funds be shifted all over the place. For example here in PA the fuel tax is used to help fund mass transit, you have tolls from the Turnpike being shifted back to public roads...and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

In any event I fully support user fees for infrastructure that pays for it entirely, I also fully support using every penny for what it's being collected for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies