Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
You keep saying that they're a pariah but all you've got is comments on a message board. Assuming that they're views aren't extreme black folks aren't just turning their back on them willy nilly in real life. Besides, if race doesn't matter to them why would they need random black folks to commiserate with? If they want to speak to republicans then find them and talk. If they still really need black republicans they can go online and find some in their areas.
Here's an example for you that is not just 'comments on a message board.'

Clyburn: Tim Scott Doesn't Vote His Color | The Daily Caller

The real problem has been an ongoing smear campaign on the left to portray the GOP as the party of racists. We've seen the veil slightly lifted on that strategy from time to time, like in 2008 when the Clintons found themselves on the receiving end of the strategy:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...race-card.html

Hillary met with top campaign aide Mark Penn after losing the nomination to Barack Obama in 2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Change
"I'm told in Chicago he [Obama] had a group of Obama partisans that, when they were losing, and they were almost out, they were willing to do whatever..."
"Whatever it takes," [Hillary] Clinton said, finishing Penn's thought. "And I would love to get all their internal documents about playing the race card, because I know it was their strategy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 03:21 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
You keep saying that they're a pariah but all you've got is comments on a message board. Assuming that they're views aren't extreme black folks aren't just turning their back on them willy nilly in real life. Besides, if race doesn't matter to them why would they need random black folks to commiserate with? If they want to speak to republicans then find them and talk. If they still really need black republicans they can go online and find some in their areas.
"Comments on a message board"? Are you kidding?

That is like saying that liberals didn't really have a problem with Dick Cheney because the only place you'd find criticism of the former Vice President is on "comments on a message board".

Clarence Thomas
Condi Rice
Herman Cain

I'd love to see examples of large groups of black people singing their praises.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:39 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
It strikes me that Congresswoman-elect Love's 'people' are her neighbors, fellow LDS followers, conservatives, the electorate in her Congressional District. Her race, in the context of 'her people', is more or less an accident of birth. Irrelevant.

By virtue of her dark skin, she represents a turn in Conservative outreach and candidacy, as does Will Hurd, as does the various Latino(a), Female, or Gay Conservative 2012 Congressional and Senatorial candidates - both successful and unsuccessful. At this point, that is all. Will it be a permanent or long lasting turn? We ought to see if there is a trend by 2020. Depends as much on a continued turn toward conservative principles in the nation as a whole, as much as anything else, imo.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:00 AM

779 posts, read 632,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
"Comments on a message board"? Are you kidding?

That is like saying that liberals didn't really have a problem with Dick Cheney because the only place you'd find criticism of the former Vice President is on "comments on a message board".

Clarence Thomas
Condi Rice
Herman Cain

I'd love to see examples of large groups of black people singing their praises.
Actually Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell have received NAACP awards and Michael Steele had spoken at a convention. I'm sure that more have had interactions but those are the ones that I knew and could confirm.

In general, why would you find large groups of black people singing their praises? They're republicans. They wouldn't really do it for.Cheney, Boehner, and other conservative republicans.

Yes comments on a message board. You seem to be confusing the issue. No they don't agree with their positions as they are republicans or conservatives. Some may even have issues with them because they believe that they have a tendency to pander to their base which is made up of a large chunk of white people whose leaders have voiced some interesting views about poor people and some minorities. In real life they would not be mobbed and very very few people would go as far as yelling out uncle Tom or actually shunning them and that is my point.

Message board behavior is amped up by the ability to be anonymous. I would not assume that most people who say extreme things on them would not act on them in real life.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's an example for you that is not just 'comments on a message board.'

Clyburn: Tim Scott Doesn't Vote His Color | The Daily Caller

The real problem has been an ongoing smear campaign on the left to portray the GOP as the party of racists. We've seen the veil slightly lifted on that strategy from time to time, like in 2008 when the Clintons found themselves on the receiving end of the strategy:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...race-card.html

Hillary met with top campaign aide Mark Penn after losing the nomination to Barack Obama in 2008:

Did you read what he said? He did mention race and continued on to say that the guy votes against his black constituents' interests in that state. Mentioning race does not mean that you're labeling someone a racist. That's not a smear campaign. You've got enough GOP mementos saying actual racist things our racially implied things so you can just replay those. How do you interpret playing the race card as equivalent to painting the GOP as racist?

By the way they accused Clinton of doing the same thing. Does a race card played on each side cancel one another out?

What do you think is happening when the GOP goes after poor people and people on welfare, the face of whom is black people, or immigration, the face of which is a Mexican? That is playing the other side of the race card.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Actually Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell have received NAACP awards and Michael Steele had spoken at a convention. I'm sure that more have had interactions but those are the ones that I knew and could confirm.

In general, why would you find large groups of black people singing their praises? They're republicans. They wouldn't really do it for.Cheney, Boehner, and other conservative republicans.

Yes comments on a message board. You seem to be confusing the issue. No they don't agree with their positions as they are republicans or conservatives. Some may even have issues with them because they believe that they have a tendency to pander to their base which is made up of a large chunk of white people whose leaders have voiced some interesting views about poor people and some minorities. In real life they would not be mobbed and very very few people would go as far as yelling out uncle Tom or actually shunning them and that is my point.

Message board behavior is amped up by the ability to be anonymous. I would not assume that most people who say extreme things on them would not act on them in real life.
So, in real life, Clarence Thomas and other black conservatives aren't called "Uncle Toms" and "House N-words" or worse?

Those opinions are only found on message boards?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So, in real life, Clarence Thomas and other black conservatives aren't called "Uncle Toms" and "House N-words" or worse?

Those opinions are only found on message boards?
In real life they're called the straight up n word by white people of their own party. Not sure why you think that I believe black people would be above name calling.

As I keep saying, what I am against is this notion that they are pariahs and shunned by black people.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Did the article mention her being an Anchor Baby, or did that get the liberal gloss-over?
...and that is a derogatory against her, how?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:23 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
I think you are off on the first bolded statement. He voted with conservative principles, which happens to be in favor of some constituents, of any and all colors, ethnicities, religious faith and non-religious believers.

He is a South Carolina Senator, not a Black South Carolina Senator, nor an Indian (not Native, but country), nor a Latina, nor a White South Carolina Senator. To inject any of those, or to say he voted against x race constituency, is to immediate get away from the fact that he is a Senator for all South Carolinians.

Another bolded, ...'goes after'...? The implication again seems to be racial. As if one's votes are anti something or some group, not for something or all. At the very least, anti-some group? How about conservative fiscal view, or what is best for all, not just a few? Anything else implies and us against them mindset.

Is that what you really believe?
Quote:
Did you read what he said? He did mention race and continued on to say that the guy votes against his black constituents' interests in that state. Mentioning race does not mean that you're labeling someone a racist. That's not a smear campaign. You've got enough GOP mementos saying actual racist things our racially implied things so you can just replay those. How do you interpret playing the race card as equivalent to painting the GOP as racist?

By the way they accused Clinton of doing the same thing. Does a race card played on each side cancel one another out?

What do you think is happening when the GOP goes after poor people and people on welfare, the face of whom is black people, or immigration, the face of which is a Mexican? That is playing the other side of the race card.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:23 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
It strikes me that Congresswoman-elect Love's 'people' are her neighbors, fellow LDS followers, conservatives, the electorate in her Congressional District. Her race, in the context of 'her people', is more or less an accident of birth. Irrelevant.
Just when I was starting to think that absolutely nobody got it, you proved me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies