Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Pretty sure there was at least one parable about a rich guy going to Hell while the poor man goes to Heaven. And in Acts of the Apostles, a couple hiding money from the commune is straight-up struck dead for the crime of not consenting to egalitarian redistribution.

If you think Jesus' message was anything other than, "rich people don't go to heaven, unless they give all their wealth to the poor", you aren't reading the Bible. All rich people go to Hell.
No, the parable does not say the rich guy went to hell just because he was rich, and it does not say the poor guy did not go to heaven just because he was poor. Abraham was rich, and yet he is in heaven. David, was rich, Job was rich, and many righteous people in the Bible were rich, but that did not doom them. A lot of believing people in the Bible were blessed with wealth, and the same is true today. There is nothing wrong with having money as long as you are a good steward of you money. Love of money is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't be ridiculous. All that is just crap and you know it. When it comes to politics, all parties are full to the brim of sinners and saints in equal measure, with plenty of hypocrites to go around as well. The Republicans are no different than the Democrats in this, except for guys like you who wear your religion on your sleeve.

Remember Christ's injection about throwing stones...
I think President Obama mentioned something about this and "glass houses."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, the parable does not say the rich guy went to hell just because he was rich, and it does not say the poor guy did not go to heaven just because he was poor. Abraham was rich, and yet he is in heaven. David, was rich, Job was rich, and many righteous people in the Bible were rich, but that did not doom them. A lot of believing people in the Bible were blessed with wealth, and the same is true today. There is nothing wrong with having money as long as you are a good steward of you money. Love of money is the problem.
As in selling out one country for a vote....... Pelosi and Feinstein

Old 12-18-2014, 06:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think President Obama mentioned something about this and "glass houses."

As in selling out one country for a vote....... Pelosi and Feinstein
I said the Bible teaches love of money is the problem, and you dive right into partisan nonsense.

You know what else the Bible says?

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels."

Have a nice day.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:44 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Minnesota Lutherans are very left of center in most cases in my experience. Catholics tend to be more to the right. But I would say the majority of Christians in Minnesota are left wing. Well meaning but ill informed or just in denial.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
I said the Bible teaches love of money is the problem, and you dive right into partisan nonsense.

You know what else the Bible says?

Have a nice day.
So are you telling me Feinstein & Pelosi don't love MONEY?

Votes = Money

Is this thread about YOU or the Christian left?

Quote:
"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels."
Now this statement is hilarious, are you lost, you are on a debate forum!

Yeah, enjoy your day!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't think you can be a Christian and a Democrat. Today's Democrat party is pro-war, pro-death penalty, pro-abortion, and pro-euthanasia. Those don't sound like Christian tenets to me.

In a nurshell, the above is the problem with organized religion. We took 2 commandments: Love God, love your neighbor, and added all of our own personal garbage to it. We point fingers and yell SINNER, and ignore the face in the mirror. We insist on cleaning up our neighbor's yard without a thought of the debris in our own.

So leave that sanctimonious bag of "I'm a better christian than you because I belong to the "right" political party" **** where you found it

I'm a Christian, period. I don't attach a lot of religious dogma to what I believe.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:18 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
No, the parable does not say the rich guy went to hell just because he was rich, and it does not say the poor guy did not go to heaven just because he was poor. Abraham was rich, and yet he is in heaven. David, was rich, Job was rich, and many righteous people in the Bible were rich, but that did not doom them.
Those guys are all Old Testament. Pre-Jesus.
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having money as long as you are a good steward of you money. Love of money is the problem.
So you can be rich as long as you're sad about it. Ok, that definitely describes the modern American right-wing.

Anyway, awful lot of words going on here to avoid Jesus' common and very clear refrain of "give up all your material wealth if you want to go to Heaven with me." I don't even have to quote a verse, just point to any random Gospel page and you'll probably find an example.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Those guys are all Old Testament. Pre-Jesus.

So you can be rich as long as you're sad about it. Ok, that definitely describes the modern American right-wing.

Anyway, awful lot of words going on here to avoid Jesus' common and very clear refrain of "give up all your material wealth if you want to go to Heaven with me." I don't even have to quote a verse, just point to any random Gospel page and you'll probably find an example.
Go give your computer to someone poor with no computer . Don't just preach it. Live it. If that is what YOU believe .

Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Minnesota Lutherans are very left of center in most cases in my experience. Catholics tend to be more to the right. But I would say the majority of Christians in Minnesota are left wing. Well meaning but ill informed or just in denial.
Catholics are actually moderately (fiscally left, but socially conservative). However, much of this is due to Hispanic immigration.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:52 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think Christianity is inherently a left wing religion, yet in America the Right has basically taken over it.
The Christian Left is alive and well:
Faithful America
Sojourners: Faith in Action for Social Justice
The Christian Left Welcomes You
Nuns on the Bus
The Progressive Christian Alliance
Jesus Unplugged
Theocracy Watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies