Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:32 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,860,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The problem here is there is no one being held responsible as of yet. All roads to Lerner and since she isn't talking we're at a impasse for the moment, I think that is going to change once the emails they have been seeking for more than a year have been made available.

What is clear is 100% of groups with names like Tea Party and few others with conservative ties were targeted specifically because of the conservative name. For comparison groups with "Progressive" in their name came in about 30% and they were flagged for reasons that would have triggered it for any group regardless of political affiliation.
I'm willing to wait for the completion of the investigation to draw any final conclusions, but it doesn't surprise me at all that those groups with political terms in their names were being investigated for being a political groups. And yes I do believe those investigations should be done in a non partisan manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM

14,512 posts, read 11,334,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, this can't be true, the Republicans say it is all the fault of Obama and the White House and I expect all information for this to back up that claim.
I agree with you urban78, Obama probably found out about it the way he finds out about everything that goes on in his administration, he reads about it in the papers several days after the fact.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,385,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The problem here is there is no one being held responsible as of yet. All roads to Lerner and since she isn't talking we're at a impasse for the moment, I think that is going to change once the emails they have been seeking for more than a year have been made available.

What is clear is 100% of groups with names like Tea Party and few others with conservative ties were targeted specifically because of the conservative name. For comparison groups with "Progressive" in their name came in about 30% and they were flagged for reasons that would have triggered it for any group regardless of political affiliation.
I'll bet you get nothing. I'll bet Boehner let's it die. He is in no hurry to cut back abuses by the government.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,216,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I'm willing to wait for the completion of the investigation to draw any final conclusions, but it doesn't surprise me at all that those groups with political terms in their names were being investigated for being a political groups. And yes I do believe those investigations should be done in a non partisan manner.
I don't think anyone would disagree as long as there is an equal application of the law.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,314,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Fourteen Republicans joined twenty-four Democrats in the House to draft the articles of impeachment while prominent Republican Senators, to include Barry Goldwater, visited the White House to encourage Nixon to resign.

Given that Obama has routinely and repeatedly done the things for which Nixon was deemed unworthy to hold office (Obstructing a Congressional investigation, Misuse of power and violating his oath of office, Failure to comply with House subpoenas.), who would be the fourteen Democrats to put the well being of their nation before that of their party today?

Which prominent Senators would visit Obama to urge him to resign?
Resign for what? He hasn't done anything.

And the GOP senators encouraged Nixon to resign AFTER it became clear that he was sinking the Republican Party...and the evidence against him was unimpeachable.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,787,787 times
I am doubting the President has his fingerprints on this. It would be too risky for anyone to be shooting off emails on something of this magnitude......

Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM

30,250 posts, read 18,810,225 times
Quote:
Clearly either you have forgotten or never knew what occurred during the Nixon Administration. Here is a recap.

Woodward and Bernstein: 40 years after Watergate, Nixon was far worse than we thought - The Washington Post

From the recap:

On Sept. 8, 1971, Nixon ordered Ehrlichman to direct the Internal Revenue Service to investigate the tax returns of all the likely Democratic presidential candidates, as well as Kennedy. “Are we going after their tax returns?” Nixon asked. “You know what I mean? There’s a lot of gold in them thar hills.”

Has Issa's investigation discovered anything close to what we know Nixon was doing with the IRS?
Right-

I watched the watergate investigations. They had them on television back then. The whole investigation was about the coverup of the burglary.

Unlike Nixon, Obama actually authorized and committed a crime. Nixon just got caught covering up the break in. If Obama was white and it was 1970s again, he would have already been impeached.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,314,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right-

I watched the watergate investigations. They had them on television back then. The whole investigation was about the coverup of the burglary.

Unlike Nixon, Obama actually authorized and committed a crime. Nixon just got caught covering up the break in. If Obama was white and it was 1970s again, he would have already been impeached.
Nixon authorized Watergate. Sorry.

And he'd authorized a slew of crimes even before that.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:29 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,860,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right-

So you didn't read the link to refresh your memory did you. It was not just about the coverup of the beak in. From the link.

Woodward and Bernstein: 40 years after Watergate, Nixon was far worse than we thought - The Washington Post

Today, much more than when we first covered this story as young Washington Post reporters, an abundant record provides unambiguous answers and evidence about Watergate and its meaning. This record has expanded continuously over the decades with the transcription of hundreds of hours of Nixon’s secret tapes, adding detail and context to the hearings in the Senate and House of Representatives; the trials and guilty pleas of some 40 Nixon aides and associates who went to jail; and the memoirs of Nixon and his deputies. Such documentation makes it possible to trace the president’s personal dominance over a massive campaign of political espionage, sabotage and other illegal activities against his real or perceived opponents.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:44 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,249,192 times
Quote:
So you didn't read the link to refresh your memory did you. It was not just about the coverup of the beak in. From the link.

Today, much more than when we first covered this story as young Washington Post reporters, an abundant record provides unambiguous answers and evidence about Watergate and its meaning. This record has expanded continuously over the decades with the transcription of hundreds of hours of Nixon’s secret tapes, adding detail and context to the hearings in the Senate and House of Representatives; the trials and guilty pleas of some 40 Nixon aides and associates who went to jail; and the memoirs of Nixon and his deputies. Such documentation makes it possible to trace the president’s personal dominance over a massive campaign of political espionage, sabotage and other illegal activities against his real or perceived opponents.
Hopefully it will not take 40 years to see the IRS scandal is much worse then it is seen now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies