Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If Muslims or Buddhists were 1/2 the population, it would definitely be considered my many as exclusionary, discriminatory, outrageous. At the very least, the diversity contingent would raise the issue of why such a large segment of the population just so happened to not have a single member on the SC.
Not really.

This is why i dont have a problem with their being less women and black senators/congressmen as well.

Like it or not, those people are few and far between as least when it comes to entering politics, so even as they make up larger portions of the population, they still havent put in the time to move up the later and be at the top for consideration.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:18 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
If you believe God created marijuana, then how is smoking it "forgetting God?"
How does smoking marijuana has anyone doing it to remember anything? Usually drinking to get drunk is to forget one's trouble; I admit that after seeing drunks go on and on about ther troubles, sometime it is done in futility.

But to get stoned is what? The same result for getting drunk with impaired judgment & mind tripping?

At any rate, being sober is hardly equated with being stoned, and God wants us to stay sober and vigilent in a world where evil and betrayal can happen at any moment and by any person; even a friend.

And God created poisonous plants, but that doesn't mean He wants us to take it.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Note: if you didn't catch the tongue in cheek nature of this post, read it again. Although, seriously, I think the founders of most religions were high on something when they came up with half of their ideas.
Funny thing about "I was only joking.." , sometimes they mean "I was only half-joking.." to "I was being actually serious..". So where do you really stand on that notion?

But your idea is something that should be addressed and not just left out there, unresolved. Kind of like; proposing a theory as if it was a fact at face value ( like they do with the evolution theory ) but never bother to really prove or disprove the notion. Better to play with it with all the runarounds rather than start deducting to find out the truth. Course, that would be for another thread and not this one. Plus, it should only be pursued if the seeker really wants to know and not just kidding or half kidding about it.

As it is, six Catholics and three Jews are on the Supreme Court. One judge says to another judge, we will all have to enter a bar to get our punchline.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,781 times
Why should their religion matter? their ability to interpret the constitution should matter.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really?

Again, the person that created me (supposedly) knows everything i'll do BEFORE i'm even born.

So then what's the point of even living life? Obviously, if there's a heaven and hell, he knows which one i'm going to when i'm still in the womb. That means that i can't change my path at all no matter what.

So what's the point?
just because he knows what you are going to do, doesnt mean your life is mapped out for you. you can make changes in your life when ever you want to. you are not locked into one particular path of life.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
How does smoking marijuana has anyone doing it to remember anything? Usually drinking to get drunk is to forget one's trouble; I admit that after seeing drunks go on and on about ther troubles, sometime it is done in futility.

But to get stoned is what? The same result for getting drunk with impaired judgment & mind tripping?

At any rate, being sober is hardly equated with being stoned, and God wants us to stay sober and vigilent in a world where evil and betrayal can happen at any moment and by any person; even a friend.

Where did God say that we can't partake of drugs that HE created?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
just because he knows what you are going to do, doesnt mean your life is mapped out for you. you can make changes in your life when ever you want to. you are not locked into one particular path of life.
How is that possible though? He already knows everything i'm gonna do, which means that if i can change my path, he's not omnipotent and definitely not omniscient.

And if he's not omniscient, the whole religion has to be disregarded.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,799 times
Quote:
i dont care about the religious make up of the supreme court. as long as they follow the constitution, they can be atheists for all i care.
But ... but ..... there should be no members of a religious faith in our courts. Separation of church and state and all!

PS this too is a joke

Old 12-27-2014, 01:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How is that possible though? He already knows everything i'm gonna do, which means that if i can change my path, he's not omnipotent and definitely not omniscient.

And if he's not omniscient, the whole religion has to be disregarded.
knowing what you are going to do in advance, doesnt mean you are forced into that action. for instance, you have the choice of stealing a car and not stealing a car. god has forseen that you will steal that car, but you are not locked into that choice. you can decide to change your mind and not steal that car. he knows your decisions before you, but that doesnt mean he wants you to make certain decisions.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
knowing what you are going to do in advance, doesnt mean you are forced into that action. for instance, you have the choice of stealing a car and not stealing a car. god has forseen that you will steal that car, but you are not locked into that choice. you can decide to change your mind and not steal that car. he knows your decisions before you, but that doesnt mean he wants you to make certain decisions.
And that doesn't come off as completely ludicrous to you?

I mean, you're twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to make that sound logical.

If what you're saying is true, then God knows whether or not i'm going to hell before i'm even born because he knows whether or not i'll change my mind when it comes to doing something bad, right?

Truth is, God can't be omnipotent and omniscient at the same time. Foreknowledge and freewill are mutually exclusive.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Catholicism is the largest denomination in this country, but when you cluster all the Protestant denominations together, Protestantism is the largest religion. Additionally, this is culturally a Protestant nation.

Does anyone take issue with 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court?
Nope, so long as they do their job as their supposed to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They all believe in "that nonsense." 6 of your Supreme Court Justices believe that an unleavened wafer baked by nuns turns into the body of a 1st century Jewish man when a priest speaks Latin words to it.
Assuming this is true, I stand by my original statement. As ridiculous of a belief that is, so long as they can still thoroughly interpret the constitution, there is not problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though I don't take issue with it, the absence of any Protestant is numerically odd. With 1/2 the population identifying as Protestant and only a total 7 Catholics and 5 Jews being on the Court prior to the incumbents, the current religious breakdown is historically unique.
Maybe, but considering judges are appointed and not elected, it's not overly surprising that they wouldn't resemble US population demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post

Most people drink for social reasons actually, but if you want to be negative about it, that's your choice. Not a great one in my opinion and I'd recommend doing some self evaluation, but do as you please.

You also don't seem to understand what marijuana is. I can assure you, there is no 'tripping.' Marijuana isn't a hallucinogenic or a psychedelic drug. It's more of a relaxant (it's scientific term would be 'psychoactive, which is basically a state of mind altering effect). It's generally used to put people in a better mood. It has unwanted side effects like short term memory loss, but that's hardly the end of the world. Certainly has nothing to do with remembering or forgetting God. Most people have been exposed to the concept of God since they were children; it's not a short term memory.

However, similar to alcohol, is small amounts, marijuana is harmless. It puts you in a good mood and some studies show (though it's not a settled matter) that it boosts overall creativity, which is a positive. Not to mention the medical uses for marijuana. Are we to ignore this simply becasue media outlets have created a false image of what marijuana does to a person, then pretend it's a message from God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies