Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

Catholicism is the largest denomination in this country, but when you cluster all the Protestant denominations together, Protestantism is the largest religion. Additionally, this is culturally a Protestant nation.

Does anyone take issue with 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court?

Old 12-25-2014, 03:49 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
No. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:52 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
We are culturally diverse, and no, I couldn't care less.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:00 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Catholicism is the largest denomination in this country, but when you cluster all the Protestant denominations together, Protestantism is the largest religion. Additionally, this is culturally a Protestant nation.

I thought you were about to say a joke opening a thread like that. "There are 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court...." as your title went. Kind of like, 6 Catholics and 3 Jews entered a bar.. kind of thing.

Seriously though, considering how this nation is forgetting God by legalizing abortion, same sex marriages and marijuanna ( as if being sober is not a virtue any more ), I am not sure how you can call this nation even culturally a Protestant nation, let alone a God fearing one, in spite of those 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court. Course, I am citing just my opinion.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
I thought you were about to say a joke opening a thread like that. "There are 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court...." as your title went. Kind of like, 6 Catholics and 3 Jews entered a bar.. kind of thing.

Seriously though, considering how this nation is forgetting God by legalizing abortion, same sex marriages and marijuanna ( as if being sober is not a virtue any more ), I am not sure how you can call this nation even culturally a Protestant nation, let alone a God fearing one, in spite of those 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court. Course, I am citing just my opinion.
If you believe God created marijuana, then how is smoking it "forgetting God?"

Old 12-25-2014, 04:09 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It's not. Drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana in moderation aren't sins. You can thank Puritanism for that.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:15 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:

Nope, they could be Satanists for all I care. Their job is to interpret the law, not to represent their faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post

I thought the same thing about the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Good point. Actually, if you think about it the Christian religion has all the hallmarks of descending from a group of people who regularly partook in some sort of hallucinogenic before sitting around the campfire telling stories. At its center is a half-ghost/half-man zombie pseudo-hermit who went from being a troubled youth to being the figurehead of an entire ideology. Not bad for a poor white boy from Jerusalem.

Note: if you didn't catch the tongue in cheek nature of this post, read it again. Although, seriously, I think the founders of most religions were high on something when they came up with half of their ideas.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i dont care about the religious make up of the supreme court. as long as they follow the constitution, they can be atheists for all i care.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:53 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont care about the religious make up of the supreme court. as long as they follow the constitution, they can be atheists for all i care.
In theory I agree with you but it's naïve to think people will not use their background and faith in interpreting the law.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:54 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:

Only the liberal ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies