Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 04:04 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
Where is the positive??? We have the most guns of all developed nation and in the same time we have the most crime? Where is the positive? Some statistically insignificant anecdotal evidence?
50,000 - 2.5 million cases of self defense are "statistically insignificant"? The lives of those people are "insignificant"

You're pretty much proving my point here buddy, you are incapable of a rational discussion on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, the last time I wanted a pistol I walked into Bass Pro Shop about 8:30 pm and walked out 20 minutes later with my new firearm and three boxes of ammo. Doesn't get much better than that.

Admittedly that was years ago so maybe it's harder now.
So what's the big deal? You weren't a felon were you? You were background checked weren't you?

Exactly how hard do you believe it should be for someone with a clean record to obtain a gun?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It means the local jurisdiction can decide whether you can carry a handgun in public.
Well, the verdict is still out on that one, for now....

Stay tuned.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
50,000 - 2.5 million cases of self defense are "statistically insignificant"? The lives of those people are "insignificant"

You're pretty much proving my point here buddy, you are incapable of a rational discussion on this issue.
2.5M cases is not insignificant, but because it is a made up number, it is therefore invalid. 50K cases is insignificant. 50K - 2.5M... really? I am insulted! I've let the 33 other posts in which this fiction is thrown around go unchallenged, but when you actually try to transfer some significance to your NRA propaganda by linking it to legitimate research.... well my blood boils... cease and desist. There are NOT between 50K and multiple millions of assaults on women's propriety and other transgresses taking place in a single year in America. Between 50K and 80K? Between 50K and 100K even. Just stop. Please? Someone said, and rightly so, the 2nd Amendment means they don't have to 'splain nuthin' to no one. They gets to carry their guns an' that's that! Case is closed. Why then are you putting the welfare of your immortal soul at risk of damnation, by the constant composition and defense of lies?

H

Old 01-07-2015, 04:32 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You are saying gun laws are loosey goosey.....

Then what do you want done to change these loosey goosey laws?
They are loosey goosey but so what?

I haven't said one word about changing our gun laws.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:36 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
They are loosey goosey but so what?

How do you know? You very clearly stated you have not bought a gun in a long time....and when you did, you went through the 4473 process (back ground check).

Quote:
I haven't said one word about changing our gun laws.

Then why are you complaining? You think they are loosey goosey, but you don't want to change anything? Just complain about it?

O.K. that fine...

Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So what's the big deal? You weren't a felon were you? You were background checked weren't you?

Exactly how hard do you believe it should be for someone with a clean record to obtain a gun?
What's your point, WhipperSnapper? I wanted a gun, so I drove up to the store and got one. Easy-peezy.

In my opinion the problem is with the careless and irresponsible use and storage of firearms. We could do a LOT better with that. (As I have pointed out in many previous posts). There are way too many knuckleheads out there messing with guns, often in places where they expose the rest of us to death or grievous injury.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
2.5M cases is not insignificant, but because it is a made up number, it is therefore invalid. 50K cases is insignificant. 50K - 2.5M... really? I am insulted! I've let the 33 other posts in which this fiction is thrown around go unchallenged, but when you actually try to transfer some significance to your NRA propaganda by linking it to legitimate research.... well my blood boils... cease and desist. There are NOT between 50K and multiple millions of assaults on women's propriety and other transgresses taking place in a single year in America. Between 50K and 80K? Between 50K and 100K even. Just stop. Please? Someone said, and rightly so, the 2nd Amendment means they don't have to 'splain nuthin' to no one. They gets to carry their guns an' that's that! Case is closed. Why then are you putting the welfare of your immortal soul at risk of damnation, by the constant composition and defense of lies?

H
Did you say that 50,000 cases of people saving their lives and their families lives is insignificant? There are far fewer gun murders each year, so that stat must be insignificant too.

Could you imagine the gun murder stats if those people were not allowed to defend themselves?

From our government......

"annual federal government research project, called the National Crime Victimization Survey, which yields estimates in the neighborhood of 100,000 defensive gun uses per year."

How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

Old 01-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How do you know? You very clearly stated you have not bought a gun in a long time....and when you did, you went through the 4473 process (back ground check).

Then why are you complaining? You think they are loosey goosey, but you don't want to change anything? Just complain about it?

O.K. that fine...
Wait a minute -- I'm not the one complaining.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:47 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Did Mom look like this? Just could be understandable.
http://d236bkdxj385sg.cloudfront.net.../04/Shorts.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies