Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Your choice on that. If you feel you can do it in time, and can remember to do it under duress , go for it.
Whichever method people choose, they need to be 100% sure that their weapon is absolutely secured -- at all times -- so that they are not putting anyone else at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
People who carry Glocks and similar guns or single action 1911 type guns would be wise to carry with the chamber empty.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Your choice on that. If you feel you can do it in time, and can remember to do it under duress , go for it.
And it's your choice to keep that chamber gun in a holster making it completely useless.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Any suggestions ? I don't disagree with you but just don't know how we can fix someone being negligent. We are talking human nature here, people make mistakes... it happens.
Amen to that.....

It would be nice if gun owners could at least recite the 4 universal gun safety rules.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Amen to that.....

It would be nice if gun owners could at least recite the 4 universal gun safety rules.
1. Reduce your quick draw spins to three after consuming a six pack.
2. If you're not sure if the gun is loaded, aim it up before pulling the trigger.
3. Don't have any children under 7 reload your gun when you leave the backyard for a restroom break.
4. Any pistol under the caliber of a .357 is too light to drive in a nail to hold a mirror larger than 26".

Old 01-05-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
If people such as you and the news stop cherry picking all the bad things that happen with a gun and promote the many many instances that guns do good and DO save lives....that would help more that promoting things such as this thread when this is not the norm....
All the news stories I've mentioned are straight out of the local and national news. https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...06.hdG1g8idpTU

If anything, it might be cherry picking to claim these disasters don't happen.

Most people simply don't worry about the boogeyman getting them at the local Walmart. My mama lived over eight decades and not once was she afraid to go the store without a gun. Same with my daddy, a young country boy who went into Normandy in the face of withering gunfire.

Is conceivable that some "bad guy" could have jumped out and attacked them? Sure, I guess so. But they didn't live in fear of such things. And I can absolutely guarantee that they would never, ever have been shot by their own children.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions ? I don't disagree with you but just don't know how we can fix someone being negligent. We are talking human nature here, people make mistakes... it happens.
Sure, see my post here, which says:

We can do a lot to fix stupid. First and foremost, educate and regularly remind people about the extreme danger that's involved in having a firearm that is not secured. They need to maintain a high degree of awareness -- at ALL times.

That may well have prevented this absurd tragedy at the Idaho Walmart.

Another thing that people need to be regularly and forcefully reminded about: What you are wearing can cause your gun to go off. Here are several instances of people getting their jackets caught up with a gun, causing it to go off and shoot someone.

Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Himself For The Second Time

Also, as I mentioned above, a lot of people have guns go off when they go to the bathroom.

I would add that people need to be frequently reminded to secure their firearms at home, especially when children live there or are visiting. We had the whole clan over at Christmas and all my guns went into the safe, as they do whenever little ones might be around.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

We can do a lot to fix stupid. First and foremost, educate and regularly remind people about the extreme danger that's involved in having a firearm that is not secured. They need to maintain a high degree of awareness -- at ALL times.

Another thing that people need to be regularly and forcefully reminded about: What you are wearing can cause your gun to go off. Here are several instances of people getting their jackets caught up with a gun, causing it to go off and shoot someone.

Also, as I mentioned above, a lot of people have guns go off when they go to the bathroom.

I would add that people need to be frequently reminded to secure their firearms at home, especially when children live there or are visiting. We had the whole clan over at Christmas and all my guns went into the safe, as they do whenever little ones might be around.
Another issue that is often overlooked is the condition of holsters.
Man's Leather Holster Causes Accidental Discharge

Most of this stuff just seems like common sense to me, although I'm sure we are all aware that common sense is not so common anymore in our society.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
All the news stories I've mentioned are straight out of the local and national news. https://www.google.com/search?espv=2...06.hdG1g8idpTU

If anything, it might be cherry picking to claim these disasters don't happen.

Most people simply don't worry about the boogeyman getting them at the local Walmart. My mama lived over eight decades and not once was she afraid to go the store without a gun. Same with my daddy, a young country boy who went into Normandy in the face of withering gunfire.

Is conceivable that some "bad guy" could have jumped out and attacked them? Sure, I guess so. But they didn't live in fear of such things. And I can absolutely guarantee that they would never, ever have been shot by their own children.

Which is my point...you never see anything good about guns...

Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

You won't see these, Why?

Nothing has happened to me either, nor my wife.....

I will not assume it won't, and you loose crediability when you say "boogeyman" that is just some leftist anti gunner slogan to make you feel better towards people who carry a gun.

If you assume, I assume that you have no insurance, no spare tire, no fire extinguisher, nothing that can help you in any situation....because it won't happen to you.

Of course, now, you will say those are not the same...because that is what people such as you say when presented with those situations...

Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:

We continually tell people to not drink and drive...yet it still happens....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies