Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
**** the oil industry.

Conservatives really are sinking to a new low. I owe no gratitude to our overlords that have 99% of this country hooked on oil like a drug.
You should stand by your principles and stop using all forms of oil IMMEDIATELY!!! Incidentally, all the plastic in that computer your typing on and that phone that your calling your congressman to complain about the oil companies on, are all made from OIL....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:14 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You should stand by your principles and stop using all forms of oil IMMEDIATELY!!! Incidentally, all the plastic in that computer your typing on and that phone that your calling your congressman to complain about the oil companies on, are all made from OIL....
No True Scottsman
An appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms in an argument.

I never once argued we should cease all oil consumption. I just think we use too much and are dependent on it like a drug.

Don't be naive as to think because oil is the preferred source of power for manufacturing that alternative power can't be generated. If only big oil lobbyists would get out of the way, we could use solar. Solar will provide us a good 5 billion years worth of power. The problem is, the sun is accessible to every land-bearing organism on planet Earth. If everyone can get a piece of sun, capitalists (the "1%) can't profit off of it..

Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
No True Scottsman
An appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms in an argument.

I never once argued we should cease all oil consumption. I just think we use too much and are dependent on it like a drug.

Don't be naive as to think because oil is the preferred source of power for manufacturing that alternative power can't be generated. If only big oil lobbyists would get out of the way, we could use solar. Solar will provide us a good 5 billion years worth of power. The problem is, the sun is accessible to every land-bearing organism on planet Earth. If everyone can get a piece of sun, capitalists (the "1%) can't profit off of it..
Big Oil Lobbyists?? Now who's naive. If Big oil lobbyists were very successful, we would be drilling on public lands right now. But we aren't. If Big oil lobbyists were so successful, we could have drowned the middle east in their own oil by now, but we haven't. All the so called tax breaks that big oil gets, are no more than every company in the country gets. They get to deduct their expenses just like I do in my company. As far as wind and solar energy, you need look no further than Solyndra. They got a nice government subsidy, and still couldn't make enough money to keep the doors open. Any business has to be able to stay open of its own stability to be long term successful. When you get done with your degree in basket weaving, take a couple courses in business and economics. Right now, it is the oil companies (not all are large companies) that are boosting this economy and putting savings in your pocket. It is oil that is employing your neighbors. Learn a little bit about the tax code before you open your mouth.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's how a partisan mind works. Who do you think they would credit if the president was from their own party? Yup, you guessed right, they would credit that president. They actually praise Bush for $1.90 gas prices although we had prices that low for about 1 month, and only because the economy had been destroyed. Few months before the collapse gas price was $4.20, which is still the all time record.

Even the Saudis can't keep this up for too long, and they will be forced to manipulate the price again.

Personally I believe US will win this oil war, and the arabs will realize they made a big error.
I just can't see it...OPEC are still the bullies on the block.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes I do, in the 90's my car got 12mpg, today my car gets 34mpg.
Why did you buy a gas guzzler? First car I owned in 87 got more than 30.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
If only big oil lobbyists would get out of the way, we could use solar.
LOL, the only thing standing in the way of solar is the exorbitant cost and other factors like portability.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gasoline prices are on the verge of crashing down to below $2 a gallon. The price of oil may dip below $50 a barrel. Even with renewed demand from a global economic resurgence, energy prices continue to fall. The U.S. suddenly has become the world's largest combined producer of oil and natural gas.

That fact — along with a desire to weaken hostile Iran and Russia — has prompted the oil-rich Gulf sheikdoms to keep pumping oil even as the price falls. In their game of petro-chicken, the desperate sheiks hope that either their poorer enemies will run out of cash, or that fracking in the U.S. will become unprofitable and cease.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about "peak oil" — the catchphrase of the new millennium. The world in general, and the United States in particular, supposedly had already burned more oil than was left under the Earth.

Under President Barack Obama, gasoline prices had soared. When he entered office in January 2009, gas prices averaged around $1.60 per gallon. Four years later, by spring 2013, gas prices had climbed beyond $3.50 a gallon.

The Obama administration never much worried about high energy costs. During the 2008 campaign, Obama promised that, "Under my plan . .. electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." Shutting down coal plants and using higher-priced but cleaner natural gas would pave the way for even pricier mandated wind and solar generation.

In the vice presidential debates of 2008, Joe Biden mocked Sarah Palin for the supposedly mindless campaign mantra of "Drill, baby, drill." Biden intoned that, "It will take 10 years for one drop of oil to come out of any of the wells that are going to be drilled."

The energy secretary-designate, the professorial Steven Chu, in 2008 had unwisely voiced a widely held but wisely unspoken progressive belief that, "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe" — or about $9 a gallon.

Just two years ago, when up for re-election, Obama reminded Americans, "We can't just drill our way to lower gas prices." Obama ridiculed the Republican idea of lowering gas to $2 a gallon through new oil-recovery techniques.

"They're already dusting off their three-point plans for $2 gas," Obama mocked. "I'll save you the suspense: Step one is drill, step two is drill, and step three is keep drilling."

Such easy rhetoric was backed by action — or lack of it. The Keystone XL pipeline was put on permanent hold. New fracking leases on federal lands were postponed. Huge areas of oil- and gas-rich federal lands were put off limits. Some blue states stopped fracking. Money poured into solar schemes like Solyndra.

Decreased use of expensive energy was deemed desirable. Cash-strapped commuters would be forced to drive less, thereby advancing the noble cause of curbing supposed manmade global warming. Federal subsidies flowed for high-speed rail. Wind, solar and other alternate energies could at last become competitive. Cap-and-trade legislation looked as if it might sail through Congress.

Unfortunately for the Obama administration, the new age of sky-high oil prices proved an economic disaster. The natural cycle of recovery never quite followed the end of the recession in mid-2009, as U.S. budget and trade deficits soared.

Abroad, all the wrong countries were empowered as never before. The late Hugo Chavez used his oil windfall in Venezuela to subsidize subversion throughout Latin America. Petrodollar-rich Russian President Vladimir Putin charted a confident anti-American foreign policy. Iran used its growing riches to step up progress toward producing a nuclear bomb while upping subsidies to terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah.

Then, finally, oil and gas prices plunged due to the "drill, baby, drill," can-do attitude of the private sector. Americans should thank the U.S. oilman — from the drillers in the field to the engineers behind the scenes — who did the impossible. They vastly increased the supply of what was supposedly a permanently declining resource, and thereby helped to crash prices.

Oilmen, not the government, returned hundreds of billions of dollars to American consumers. They, not Ivy League experts and Wall Street grandees, kick-started the economy where federal subsidies had failed to. They, not the policies of the Obama administration or the rhetoric of Secretary of State John Kerry, weakened our enemies.

Almost everything Obama tried for six years in an effort to rev the economy — from near-zero interest rates and $1 trillion annual budget deficits to ObamaCare and vast increases in entitlements — has failed. His foreign-policy stances of resets and leading from behind led to chaos and emboldened enemies.

Yet the economy is slowly recovering with cheap energy. Consumers have more money. Industries are returning to U.S. soil. Abroad, spendthrift oil producers such as hostile Iran, Russia and Venezuela are nearly broke. Friendly rivals such as Japan and the European Union can't compete with the U.S. energy edge.

What Obama once ridiculed is now saving him from himself — after he had championed policies that nearly destroyed him. The Greeks had a word for it: irony.
What were gas prices before they dropped to $1.60?
Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why did you buy a gas guzzler? First car I owned in 87 got more than 30.
The first car I owned got 6... Uphill, Downhill or falling off a cliff.... The thing was a tank but it sure cruised nice....

Old 01-03-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The first car I owned got 6... Uphill, Downhill or falling off a cliff.... The thing was a tank but it sure cruised nice....
I had 72 f-250 like that with a straight 6, had it for years. Top speed was about 60 however I'd gladly race any truck going uphill pulling weight.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:22 PM

1947 Cadillac.. Could pull a car load and a trunk load of kids into a drive in and never squat the springs. The back seat was nice and wide and comfortable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies