Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And all public assistance benefits aren't created equally. The rich get fewer govern benefits and services than do the poor.
They don't need as much as the poor because they help make legislation that favors their interests.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And all public assistance benefits aren't created equally. The rich get fewer govern benefits and services than do the poor.
Is this something you think needs to be changed? LOL

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
The bottom 50% are going to pay "their share" when the top 1% spread the wealth (the bulk of which isn't and wasn't theirs to begin with). As my mother used to say "you can't get blood out of a turnip".

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,343,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There sure are a lot of lackeys for the global elite on this thread. Get off your knees people, it's disgusting.

It is predicted by 2016 the global 1% will own more than 99% of the rest of the World's population.

Wealthiest 1% will soon own more than rest of us combined, Oxfam says - CNN.com

Anybody that thinks this is OK or sustainable is truly an idiot-maybe a useful idiot to the central banksters and global elite, but an idiot nonetheless.

You lackeys are busy arguing left versus right and Democrat versus Republican when the true elite do not even have any loyalty or allegience to this nation or any on the planet.

You are destroying the sovereignty of our nation by promoting such corruption and greed.
I read your link and I can see why you were a bit confused.

It says that by next year the top 1% globally will own more than 50% of global wealth. The top 5% will own 96%, and the rest will be everything below that.

I presume if you add in the top 10% then the number gets closer to 99% though.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Taxable income brings up a point. With deductions and exemptions the bottom 50% don't pay the taxes that those over 50% don't pay.

This is why the USA plays Mr Macawber of Charles Dickens fame who is massively in debt because his income does not equal his outgo. If we want Social Security, Medicare, Veterans benefits, public safety, the military not seen since the height of he Roman Empire, timely weather reports, disaster aid, American boot prints on the Moon, world class education, roads, hospitals etc etc etc. National income i.e. taxes needs to match national spending. When income is 1 shilling six pence and spending is one shilling three pence the result is happiness, when income is one shilling three pence and spending is one shilling six pence the result is misery. Economics is simple even if you are a Victorian!

Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,126,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm curious about a few things.

What job(s) did you hold while you attended classes?

I owned a business plus did subcontracting work at a nursing home while taking 18 credits per semester. I took spring, fall AND summer classes

What college did you go to? Penn State

At level did you graduate (AA, BA, MA, MFA, Ph.D, etc)? AA

What was your major and what type of job do now hold? Structural Engineering, I am now retired.

Did you graduate 100% debt free? Yes

Where did you live while you were in college? In an apartment raising a foster son after getting divorced and moving out of my house
Be careful what you ask for....Your answers are above after the questions....They may give you some insight why I am so bitter against welfare recipients.

Last edited by 68551; 01-20-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,126,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Oh so YOU aren't teaching anybody anything. Got it. Ever consider the possibility that a lot of these people can't afford college even though they are already working two and three jobs trying to make ends meet? Conservatives simply do not live in the real world.

Read my answers to Margritte25...don't tell me people can't do it when I did....It wasn't a cake walk but if you want to better yourself and no one is handing anything to you it is awesome what the human spirit and perseverance can do....

Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,580,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Soooo... what happened to the Original Poster? Hmmm? He hasn't replied to this thread. Skip town did he? He still hasn't returned to address MY situation. Why?
Well, you didn't respond to my post to you either.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Be careful what you ask for....Your answers are above after the questions....They may give you some insight why I am so bitter against welfare recipients.
I have no need to be careful. I'm always curious about how people fared on their road to success.

Two things that jumped out at me...

You said you are now retired. Taking the average age of retirement (62) and guessing you went to school when you were 35, PSU tuition was (after a hike in 1988) $3,610 per academic year (Colleges To Hike Tuition 7 Percent For 1988-89 - Philly.com). For the 2014-2015 academic year, PSU tuition is $16,572. Considering the lack of growth in wages as compared to inflation, I don't think its fair to compare your experience to that of today's workers. It was a different world back then in many, many ways.

You said you were raising a foster son. Who watched him when you were working all those hours and in class and working on projects and papers?

I'm not trying to get in your business but I think its important to realize that our individual experiences vary and if it weren't for all the cards falling into place, we may very well not have done so well for ourselves. For example, many people simply do not have someone to watch their children while they go to class. That alone will derail any hope for improvement, at least until the kids are old enough to stay alone.

Just some food for thought.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Read my answers to Margritte25...don't tell me people can't do it when I did....It wasn't a cake walk but if you want to better yourself and no one is handing anything to you it is awesome what the human spirit and perseverance can do....
Human spirit and perseverance are amazing, wonderful things.

But without the nuts and bolts of running a day to day life, people do get stuck. I know its not encouraging to hear that but its time to face the fact that merely desiring a change isn't enough to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies