Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Great job on finding the one news article on the internet (and not from CNN, MSNBC, or a reputable source) that says something opposite of what every media is saying.

"Of the 20 people infected by the current outbreak, at least 15 were not vaccinated."

Measles outbreak at Disneyland linked to non-vaccinations - CBS News

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-23-2015 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
You can bet that all the unvaccinated people that got measles ran crying to a doctor and are now on some sort of medication developed by......you guessed it.....big pharma.

If they had any integrity they'd refuse taking any of "those poisons" either. lol.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:49 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The anti-vaccination crowd will die of diseases that are preventable.

Darwin at work.
Not before others get infected. It isn't just they who might die.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You can bet that all the unvaccinated people that got measles ran crying to a doctor and are now on some sort of medication developed by......you guessed it.....big pharma.

If they had any integrity they'd refuse taking any of "those poisons" either. lol.
I wouldn't consider Vitamin A "a medication" but when administered in megadoses it has shown to reduce mortality and complications from measles. Hopefully doctors will use this proven treatment when patients come to them.
Vitamin A for measles in children | Cochrane Summaries

Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM

211 posts, read 165,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Great job on finding the one news article on the internet (and not from CNN, MSNBC, or a reputable source) that says something opposite of what every media is saying.

"Of the 20 people infected by the current outbreak, at least 15 were not vaccinated."

Measles outbreak at Disneyland linked to non-vaccinations - CBS News

No problem. I find REAL sources not voices for big pharma like you want.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Aren't there a whole lot of foreign tourists who visit Disneyland? That was my impression with our "Visit California" tourism board. Is the measles vaccine standard throughout the world?

We've eradicated a lot of diseases that foreigners have brought back in force--polio, drug-resistant TB, leprosy. Seems like measles are the least of our worries.

I had every kind of measles when I was a kid. As did pretty much every kid I knew. Why all the excitement?
The anti-vax movement is stronger in Europe than in the US.

The "excitement" is because 30% of measles cases have complications, up to and including encephalitis with permanent brain damage.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
The anti-vax movement is stronger in Europe than in the US.

The "excitement" is because 30% of measles cases have complications, up to and including encephalitis with permanent brain damage.
wow, see, there I learned something, I didn't know about encephalitis....wow.....

thank you

Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Does anyone posting actually know anyone who died or had encephalitis from measles? I've known a lot of people who had measles and not one who had a problem. So it's hard to get my head around the statistics that people are quoting.

On the other hand, I have known several people that had absolutely horrible side effects from the antibiotics and over the counter stuff that is supposed to be safe. A cousin's daughter got that (Johnson-somebody--it's two people's names) reaction from taking a supposedly mild antibiotic. It causes 3rd degree burns all over your body, including your eyes and can cause blindness. She was 16 or 17, survived, horribly scarred and has to wear dark glasses to protect her eyes.

So no, Big Pharma is not who I automatically look to for safe medicines--or vaccines.

Edit: Found it--Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, caused by antibiotics and over the counter painkillers. Link to an article: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42501090/n...e-never-heard/

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Does anyone posting actually know anyone who died or had encephalitis from measles? I've known a lot of people who had measles and not one who had a problem. So it's hard to get my head around the statistics that people are quoting.

On the other hand, I have known several people that had absolutely horrible side effects from the antibiotics and over the counter stuff that is supposed to be safe. A cousin's daughter got that (Johnson-somebody--it's two people's names) reaction from taking a supposedly mild antibiotic. It causes 3rd degree burns all over your body, including your eyes and can cause blindness. She was 16 or 17, survived, horribly scarred and has to wear dark glasses to protect her eyes.

So no, Big Pharma is not who I automatically look to for safe medicines--or vaccines.

Edit: Found it--Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, caused by antibiotics and over the counter painkillers. Link to an article: The worst side effect you've never heard of - Health - Health care - More health news | NBC News
Your thought pattern reminds me of those ambulance chasing lawsuit commercials I see all the time. If you had xyz and experienced xyz we are here for you.....

First you posted a good story and I am glad it is from a main stream new source and not the nut house weekly in Podunk. So what is the answer? The benefits far outweigh the rare side effects and the population as a whole benefits so what is the answer?

Life is not 100% anything, it doesn't matter what you do or how there will always be those that it effects adversely but you won't know till it happens. Does the rest of society give up the positives that ibuprofen and other OTC meds provide?

It's real easy to say Big Pharma or the government is at fault but I don't see anyone saying they wouldn't give their kids the Polio Vaccine....

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I wouldn't consider Vitamin A "a medication" [/url]

This is what is insane, it really makes you wonder

1st - big pharmacy conspiracy. . .on vaccination. Maybe a 12 billion dollar global revenue work. . .compared to global big pharma revenue of over a trillion dollars (1,000 billion people). Okay so lets assume that people like to establish elaborate risky conspiracies for their version of pocket change.. . with most vaccinations not growing faster than - POPULATION GROWTH.

2nd - The vitamin and supplement people. Not only do these people not get fined for lying (i.e. big pharma) but they crank out more than 35billion by 2016. All this for crap that has not been clinically proven to do more for you than create expensive pee (outside some very notable exceptions, such as Zinc for flu.

So. . .people would rather distrust the 14billion dollar market that is forced by the FDA to tell the truth. . than distrust the 35 billion market that can make up WHATEVER #@! it wants. . and no one seems to care.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies