Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
So bow down to your goddess Pelosi and don't own one, the facts aren't on your side so stick to your ignorant religious fervor. Even the CDC study, pushed by Obama, doesn't match your fantasy.

CDC Gun Research Backfires on Obama - Guns & Ammo

More likely to harm than protect? Wrong (as usual)
The study, which was farmed out by the CDC to the Institute of Medicine and National Research Council, also revealed that while there were "about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008," the estimated number of defensive uses of guns ranges "from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year."

Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies."

CDC Gun Violence Study Didn't Give Obama White House Outcome It Wanted - Investors.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There is a myth that most people who are killed are victims of a career criminal. A very large % are killed by relatives and acquaintances. Five minutes before that person's shoots he/she is one of the NRA's "good guys."
The only myth is the BS anti gun nuts constantly repeat as fact instead of fiction. Most people who are killed are career criminals, killed by career criminals.

85 percent of shooting suspects and victims in Milwaukee have "extensive criminal record," police chief says | PolitiFact Wisconsin

I'm sure you have access to much better data than the police chief of Milwaukee though. Just call up Sarah Brady and she'll send it to you.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So only "bad" guys should have guns? How do you know of his training with these weapons?

You have already stated your bias towards guns and indicated your hatred of those that go to war when called. So continue to sit in your safe little cocoon and think nothing will ever happen to you just because YOU don't think it possibly could. Naïve and wrong of course.
Did I say that? Did I say only "bad" guys should have guns?

Good guys without skills should reevaluate the decision of owning a firearm. No? If you want to use guns to defend yourself, at least get some skills.

sheesh. duh. and please explain the bolded. I am all ears.

My own brother was a Marine. I hate war absolutely I do. You have a problem with that? I especially hate those who say they support the troops, but will NEVER join the military themselves. At the same time, they have no problems sending my brothers and my friends to war. Yes, I hate them.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started

If you don't want to live in a country that guarantees the right to have a gun, you can go somewhere else where they don't.

Don't go to a steak restaurant demanding sushi, go to a sushi restaurant if that is what you want. We're sick of you demanding changes to our basic rights to suit you.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
By your standards, Maine, VT and NH, etc must be awash in blood!
Seems Ironic you picked states not on the top 10

States with Extremely High Populations of Gun Owners(more than 50%)
1. Wyoming - 59.7%
2. Alaska - 57.8%
3. Montana - 57.7%
4. South Dakota - 56.6%
5. West Virginia - 55.4%
6. Mississippi - 55.3%
6. Idaho - 55.3%
6. Arkansas - 55.3%
9. Alabama - 51.7%
10. North Dakota - 50.7%

Concealed Carry - Resources, Maps, Forums, Articles - USA Carry

which is ironic, because yes there is a lot of blood in those places (Guns: A way of life in Wyoming | WyomingNews.com Wyoming has the largest per capita suicide rate in the nation! guess how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Machine guns are legal with a federal tax stamp in these states and open carry and concealed carry are allowed.

Meanwhile in NJ which has the, 2nd or so, most strict gun laws in the nation is producing about a murder or more a week.
1) strict gun laws follow shootings, not normally the other way around
2) NJ really? That is your Cherry Pick. Why not Connecticut? Why not, by your math, pick the state with the lowest gun ownership. I'm sure you will find a bastion of defenseless . .with criminals going nuts and killing everyone. No one goes to the state, fear of being killed (and not protecting yourself) is everwhere!

Alaska - is number 6 (Violent crime)
50. Hawaii - 6.7% -36 (violent crime)

data suggests more gun equal more deaths (accidents, death, and homicide). Buying a gun for fun, collection, hunting, etc are good reasons to own a gun.

Buying a gun for protection, is for people bad at math.

OH and New Jersey - number 26 as far as crime. Thanks for playing. You guessed wrong!
https://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/...html#footnote3

Old 01-26-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I especially hate those who say they support the troops, but will NEVER join the military themselves.
Did you serve?

Do you support our military?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did you serve?

Of course I do. I am dating a Marine, have dated many Marines. My own brother was a Marine.

I volunteer at VA hospital BUT I HATE WAR

Do you hate war? Will you send your own kids to war? Let's go from there first before questioning me, dude.

So you believe those who hate war = against military? is it what you are implying? It looks like overwhelming majority of Americans are sick and tired of this war, if you want this war, go join the military YOURSELF. If you are too damn old, send your own sons to war. Easy solution.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
If you don't want to live in a country that guarantees the right to have a gun, you can go somewhere else where they don't.

Okay for over a 100 years the courts interpreted the 2nd amendment as not guarnting gun ownership. It wasn't until big gun/NrA started their lobbying that everyone associates 2nd gun with individual gun ownership

So thanks to Good lobbying, big gun bucks buying off a few supreme court justices
Yet most judges and scholars who debated the clause's awkwardly worded and oddly punctuated 27 words in the decades before Heller almost always arrived at the opposite conclusion, finding that the amendment protects gun ownership for purposes of military duty and collective security. It was drafted, after all, in the first years of post-colonial America, an era of scrappy citizen militias where the idea of a standing army—like that of the just-expelled British—evoked deep mistrust. -The Second Amendment Doesn't Say What You Think It Does | Mother Jones

so just you side with the folks with some big bucks . . .and buy off the right justices you think in a democracy. .that this is how it is forever and can't be changed and we should move.

Here i thought a democracy and a government by the people meant we can disagree and work to fix this country, instead of giving up on it and leaving.

Dude - your winning right now

but we aren't leaving, and we will be trying just as hard as you to fix things (as much as you want to keep them the same)

and hopefully, someday, we will win.

and then, maybe, you can leave?! or stay? up to you.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Wyoming has the largest per capita suicide rate in the nation! guess how!
Should I point to you all of the countries with very strict gun laws that have a higher suicide rate than ours or do I have to dumb it down for you?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Did you serve?

She has family in the military. She is not anti military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies