Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

so for those out there in reader land, who look at this and it drives you toward thinking guns are the problem....

Lets establish some facts.

The vast majority of Americans killed by guns are suicides. While that is a problem, the problem cannot be said to be the gun. Other nations like Japan have a much higher suicide rate, but you cant get a gun there. So it is not the gun that causes suicide. one must deny reality to suggest such.

Further, if you take suicide deaths out of the "gun death " story, America become almost unremarkable.

Beyond that, if you take the gun death stats from the 25 most violent zip codes (there are 11,000 zip codes) all the sudden Americas gun death rates fall in line with Europe where you can barely get them.

WE do have a problem with suicide. Its a mental illness problem and its a problem caused by a government that decided to not treat the mentally ill. We decided this because in teh 80s liberals decided it was a violation of their civil rights to demand they be treated if such treatment was against their will.

We do have a violence problem. Its a problem we refuse to face because of any number of reasons. but that problem is very much isolated to a few pockets of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 AM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL

for those of us who have been readers of peer reviewed studies, and have watched the left hijack that process over the last few years, there is nothing "odd" about it.

Liberals have hijacked academia and are using that to thier advantage. They create a perception of unbiased "science" that drives their policy when in fact, its utterly provable that the policy came first and the study was driven by preconcieved outcomes.
Exactly

How can anyone take this seriously when in the references you have links to Bloomberg and Brady? These are political organizations with a clear and stated agenda. I guess we're supposed to see it's from JAMA and just assume it's factual and unbiased without checking. What a joke.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So? His mother should have some common sense then. no?

If you had a severely mentally ill son living with you at home, you probably should have locked up all your guns. again, common sense stuff.
My guns are either on me or in my safe. Additionally, and as I've posted numerous times on CD, I never keep a round in the chamber. I feel that you having a round in the chamber is like having your finger on the trigger, you only do so when you are ready to impact something with a bullet.

But back to Lanza, if he stole his mother's weapons, what good would any laws keeping HIM from owning guns would have done in that specific case?

You'll never be able to legislate every moronic and irresponsible decision or every potential action by a lunatic. There is a balancing act between liberty and safety, and I'd rather error on the side of liberty for the most part.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Quote:
Okay good to know

It is kind of sad that you are from california, but you hate it here. Must be miserable to be you.
Reading comprehension is fundamental, dear: "from". I left a long time ago.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guns are either on me or in my safe. Additionally, and as I've posted numerous times on CD, I never keep a round in the chamber. I feel that you having a round in the chamber is like having your finger on the trigger, you only do so when you are ready to impact something with a bullet.

But back to Lanza, if he stole his mother's weapons, what good would any laws keeping HIM from owning guns would have done in that specific case?

You'll never be able to legislate every moronic and irresponsible decision or every potential action by a lunatic. There is a balancing act between liberty and safety, and I'd rather error on the side of liberty for the most part.
Again, I've never said anything about LAW. I said common sense. His mother should have kept her guns locked at all time when living with a severely mentally ill son.

Back to my first post, my friend (who is a very good person) owns several guns, but never go practicing. I asked him, "why do you own all these guns?" His answer, "Keeping me safe." How can these guns keep him safe when he never practice shooting? I acknowledge the fact that he is an exception, not the rule. But still, a person like him should use some common sense.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Reading comprehension is fundamental, dear: "from". I left a long time ago.
well, besides the ridiculous gun law, I really don't have a reason to hate California. If i don't like to talk about politics, I don't talk about politics with others. Nobody has forced their opinions on me unless I allow them to.

well, good for you that you have left. No reason to stay in a place makes you miserable.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 AM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guns are either on me or in my safe. Additionally, and as I've posted numerous times on CD, I never keep a round in the chamber. I feel that you having a round in the chamber is like having your finger on the trigger
Unless you have kids or others who might access your firearms as a reason, an unloaded gun in a safe is pretty useless for home defense. A round in the chamber is not the same as finger on the trigger, as guns don't randomly fire on their own.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
Take a gander at this Wiki article, then tell me that it's a myth: Defensive Gun Use

The most conservative estimate of how many times guns are used defensively is 67,740 times per year. That estimate is brought to you by the Violence Policy Center, one of the most pro-gun control organizations in the country. Even if they are off by a few thousand your premise evaporates in the face of the facts.

I think the myth we need to talk about is the myth that anyone on the gun control side of the argument is capable of understanding the facts at hand and applying rational analysis to reach their conclusions.

Dave

Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I think a handgun is a very difficult of a firearm to shoot well, there is less to hang on to. without practice, I wonder how can ANYBODY use a handgun as a weapon to defend him or herself.

That being said, I have a friend who supports war, who owns several guns, who is also a 45 year old single man (perhaps a virgin too). He believes that owning all these guns without skills will keep him safe. He is a good guy with multiple guns, I don't think he should own any. He has no kids, but has no problems sending other people's brothers to war, I found it disgusting.

A good guy with skills should have no problems. Let's not pretend every idiot out there should be owning a gun.
"I think a handgun is a very difficult of a firearm to shoot well,"

" I wonder how can ANYBODY use a handgun as a weapon to defend him or herself?"

Based on this statement, IMO, you don't know much about guns in general and hand guns in particular.

If you don't feel confident with ANY gun you shouldn't be expecting to use it for self defense.

Have you ever heard of the "Judge"? If not, you should check it out before making such uninformed statements.

"He believes that owning all these guns without skills will keep him safe."

So, you base everything you think about guns and people on one guy?

"He has no kids, but has no problems sending other people's brothers to war," Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with gun ownership.

"Let's not pretend every idiot out there should be owning a gun."

I don't believe ANYBODY has proposed such a ridiculous thing.

"I found it disgusting."

I find your entire post disgusting based on the comments I made from what you posted.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Exactly

How can anyone take this seriously when in the references you have links to Bloomberg and Brady? These are political organizations with a clear and stated agenda. I guess we're supposed to see it's from JAMA and just assume it's factual and unbiased without checking. What a joke.
WE (people you and I) arent meant to take them seriously.

THEY (people like the presidents policy drivers and media hacks) have come to the conclusion that America is full of people who dont check references. all they need to do is tell these people stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies