Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

He's got a point.

We sit around arguing about ridiculous stuff while the rest of the world is getting educated in the critical scientific fields. Often right here, and then they take their knowledge back home.

Quote:
....foreign students make up the majority of enrollments in U.S. graduate programs in many STEM fields, accounting for 70.3 percent of all full-time graduate students in electrical engineering, 63.2 percent in computer science, 60.4 percent in industrial engineering, and more than 50 percent in chemical, materials and mechanical engineering, as well as in economics (a non-STEM field). However, the report, which analyzes National Science Foundation enrollment data from 2010 by field and institution, also shows that these striking averages mask even higher proportions at many individual universities. For example, there are 36 graduate programs in electrical engineering where the proportion of international students exceeds 80 percent, including seven where it exceeds 90. (The analysis is limited to those programs with at least 30 full-time students.)

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...reign-students

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7D3_eGaO5k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
The bls estimates that growth field for electrical engineering is about 4% over the next decade. Perhaps that is the reason many Americans aren't getting into it :-P. In fact none of those degrees you listed have great growth potential. A lot of STEM jobs just aren't here in America anymore sadly.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
The wealthy elite in many foreign countries send their sons and daughters here for college.

Must be because our education system sucks as badly as the right wing constantly whines about.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Right, the problem isn't a lack of engineer's. The problem is a lack of jobs for engineer's here.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Yup probably one of the most important topics that will be posted this month in relative to it impactfulness on our country long term.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,118 times
So my question is this: What can be done about this? What kinds of solutions have been proposed? And it might be interesting to brainstorm on this topic to see if we can come up with ideas that have not already been proposed.

One thing to keep in mind: "Deep learning" technology seems to be changing the whole landscape of future human employment. Jobs that could, until now, only be done by humans could now potentially be done by machines. Jeremy Howard: The wonderful andterrifying implications of computers that can learn | Talk Video | TED.com

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 01-28-2015 at 07:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The wealthy elite in many foreign countries send their sons and daughters here for college.

Must be because our education system sucks as badly as the right wing constantly whines about.
Do not see them coming over here to go to public schools in high school where the left wing thinks is a great education to the point of denying them the right to choose a better school. Left wings are great defending the right to choose when killing babies but will not give a child the right to choose a better school

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Right wingers point to inner city and rural schools and say "look our schools suck, we should defund the schools because we hate teachers unions because they vote Democrat". The issues there are more societal. If you go to most middle and upper middle class areas, the schools are good. You have your issues with drugs and an overemphasis on sports, but for the most part the education is good. The issues with inner city schools are not going to change with "school choice". A kid living in the projects who doesn't know his dad, with a drug dealer as a role model, isn't going to become an Engineer.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Do not see them coming over here to go to public schools in high school where the left wing thinks is a great education to the point of denying them the right to choose a better school. Left wings are great defending the right to choose when killing babies but will not give a child the right to choose a better school
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/27/69...ncluding-60-of

Yup...

"America's schools suck!"

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The public schools in my town of Londonderry, New Hampshire, are very good in terms of graduate's attending college. We have a high graduation rate as well. These schools are also very expensive. However, we are getting what we pay for.

I went to college in 1968 after I got back from 'Nam. I studied Environment Science that included civil engineering as well a biology and chemistry. Too bad there were no jobs available that paid well enough to justify the work. So I took what was available. I had a career essentially telling corporate slobs to stop dumping their waste on the rest of us and to clean up their messes. It paid well enough most of the time.

I should have forced myself to conform to the social codes and "Capitalist BS" that was being handed out at the Business School. I would have made a lot more money over the years but would have probably spent it on psychiatric care to keep me from going crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies