Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 11:57 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

Dick Purtan interviews James Robertson on his show, podcast # 491.

Detroiter James Robertson meets college student who started social media fund
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You people = Everyone who argues that those who are poor are poor because of personal faults, such as laziness, irresponsibility, poor choice makers, etc.

Uh...maybe you don't understand what UNEMPLOYMENT RATE MEANS? Do you understand musical chairs? If there are 10 chairs and 13 people circling....you can create all kinds of myths about opportunity that you want, but the reality is that when the music stops only 10 people will find a seat. Michigan lost over 800,000 jobs between 2000 and 2010. Hence, many chairs were taken away.....regardless of how great someone is at making choices, the math will never add up when 13 people are circling and there are only 10 chairs.

That said, there were people in the Twin Towers on 911. One could say that they were bad choice makers for showing up for work that day. One could also say that since some people made it out (I am sure you would have been one of those people) the towers alive, that the others who did not must have been poor choice makers because those (like you would have) who made it out demonstrated that it could be done. On the other hand, smart people would realize that just because one exist in the same general situation does not mean that they are in the same specific situation in degree or kind to suggest that because they did something (against the odds of the general situation) that others had the same opportunity to do so.

You people are good at that.
Blah Blah Blah, you sound like the teacher in Charlie Brown.

I work in the automotive industry at the supplier level, I'm well aware of the jobs lost. Many of the people I worked with for years are gone never to return to this profession. Guess what, they made choices to either move or find another trade.

Here we have an indiviual that was will to work, and willing to work hard at getting to work but failed to have the desire to better his situation. A friends machine shop would have loved to have someone like him working for them, and had he put 10 years in , if he was good and wanted to learn , he would have went from a grinder hand to operating a CNC machine.
He could have went and worked at Big Boy's or a similar chain. Started out as a busboy and worked his way up to management. I did it when I was 16 and didn't have half the work ethic he does. Didn't want that to be my career so I left and did something else but the opportunity was there.
Again , he did this by choice.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Are there no ride matching services of Car/van pools in the Detroit area?

Old 02-04-2015, 12:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I agree with you Opin, I doubt any right winger would ever want to have a real discussion about this though.
Oh look, you're wrong AGAIN!

This Conservative actually agrees with the OP. There is nothing 'admirable' about this. This should not even be, in this country where the poor "don't have it that bad"...at least, that's what we are told. I'd like to see some of these aholes who say this walk 21 miles to work each day. Of course, they'll just blame it on the man who does the walking...they always do.

As for the person who said this isn't the "norm" with poor people, how so very out of touch you are. They may not all be walking 21 miles, but they are doing a hell of a lot more to make peanuts than those of you sitting in comfy cars, to your comfy offices, back to your comfy homes.

Yes there are lazy loser people who are poor, and yes, those people did indeed choose drugs, or alcohol, or whatever other stupid substance/addiction and now have sucky lives. And no, I don't feel one iota of remorse for them.

That is not all the poor people, and I don't even think that is the majority of poor people. I've said it here before, I will say it again:

When you are poor, there is NO room for error. What is easily fixed by someone who has a little income is a monumental hurdle to get over for a poor person.

We've been warned that our economy is going to go in to some new level, and that soon we are all going to be feeling the pinch, worse than we imagined. You know, every time I read posts like that, I actually say, "Man, I can't wait until that happens so that those mouth breathers who write arrogant posts berating all the poor people have a good taste of what it actually means to be poor."

I know, I'm an ***hole for thinking that, but I don't care what you think about me. I just want you to feel what it's actually like so you **** about something of which you have no knowledge. I've been there. I'm no longer there, but I've been there. Some of you are clueless, absolutely clueless.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
His reward?

1. Self reliance
2. a job
3. pride with work
4.oh............................. and a little matter of $200K collected for him

When did America become of nation of crying babies who DEMAND things from other people and fail to take the initiative.

What is WRONG with America? People like you who think that the world owes them a living and a nice existence, simply because you are here.

We used to call people like that "bums". Now we call them good democrats.
There is something very wrong with the fact that anyone would have to walk 21 miles a day just to make a living. This isn't acceptable in a developed country. That's more in line with the lifestyle in the most impoverished, rural parts of sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
His reward?

1. Self reliance
2. a job
3. pride with work
4.oh............................. and a little matter of $200K collected for him

When did America become of nation of crying babies who DEMAND things from other people and fail to take the initiative.

What is WRONG with America? People like you who think that the world owes them a living and a nice existence, simply because you are here.

We used to call people like that "bums". Now we call them good democrats.
What's wrong with America is the MYTH. Hard work, education, Personal Responsibility....is what separates the upper half from the lower half economically. That is the MYTH!! Truth be told, SCARCITY is the key to stratification. Education and hard work pays off WHEN THEY ARE SCARCE. If you flood the market with educated hard workers....you deflate the value of education and hard work because they become "a dime a dozen". One prospers most when they have skills and traits that are in greater demand than they are in supply. The idea that the poor masses could just educate and hard work themselves to the level of success as those in the upper half, and that the upper half would at the same time maintain their level, is pure fiction and myth.

I would even go as far as to say that it is a CONFLICT OF INTEREST of the upper half to have the lower half gain the education and skills of the upper half because the upper half would lose the premium from having the scarce skills.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Maybe he should get a bicycle....that would cut his commute time a LOT.
This is true.......but this country does really need a workable system of public transportation.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Blah Blah Blah, you sound like the teacher in Charlie Brown.

I work in the automotive industry at the supplier level, I'm well aware of the jobs lost. Many of the people I worked with for years are gone never to return to this profession. Guess what, they made choices to either move or find another trade.

Here we have an indiviual that was will to work, and willing to work hard at getting to work but failed to have the desire to better his situation. A friends machine shop would have loved to have someone like him working for them, and had he put 10 years in , if he was good and wanted to learn , he would have went from a grinder hand to operating a CNC machine.
He could have went and worked at Big Boy's or a similar chain. Started out as a busboy and worked his way up to management. I did it when I was 16 and didn't have half the work ethic he does. Didn't want that to be my career so I left and did something else but the opportunity was there.
Again , he did this by choice.
You do not know what governs a persons choices. I had a friend who was an A student in high school. Grew up in the Altgel Gardens housing projects in Chicago. His his mother died when he was in college, so he dropped out of college to take care of a sick little sister, whom he did not want to go in some type of care home. He eventually ended up dying himself, poor, living in the housing project. He was my best friend and a GREAT HUMAN BEING. Was he a poor choice maker?

You do not know what is behind peoples choices....when you are on the outside and cannot look in. But what you assume says a lot about what type of person you are.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Are there no ride matching services of Car/van pools in the Detroit area?
Not really. He is going from Detroit thru two other cities to get to his place of employment.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM

31,058 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leftists believe in stealing other people's money, not working.
The guy is defiantely a Righty. Who else would be stupid enough to walk 7 hours per day when a bike could get you there in 2 hours or better yet sit back on the couch and collect welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies