Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 10:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Being minority has many "disadvantages" sometimes white people don't fully understand.

For example, in high school and college, American kids start to have the "dating" thing. Since most boys and girls around are white (including in the media), a minority kid tends to be attracted to a white too. But there are tons of barriers now...

^^^yes. i grew up watching "white love" displayed on tv and in an area with very few blacks. when i first became interested in the opposite sex, all my crushes, real and celebrity, were white. i did not become interested in a black guy until the 8th grade. even as i found black men more attractive, i still had a certain type that i thought i preferred, light, "good hair", light eyes even. luckily by the time i got out of high school i had begun to shake the white supremacist programming. i did still date non blacks at that time, but mostly mexican american guys. but it is quite confusing being a minority growing up in this society when it comes to dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,122 times
As many have stated, experiences in the corporate world are entirely different than those outside of it. My largest issue is being perceived as an affirmative action\quota hire when I know I have the same if not more qualifications of someone whos not a minority. Faced this at my old gig so I simply left. Now at a smaller company who's HR director sought out my talent after going 9 months with the position unfulfilled... I, as well as many other minorities of various ethnicity face this and make an effort to not identify as such when applying for jobs. I also make it clear now that I have no desire to simply fulfill a quota. Some don't realize we have to put in twice the effort to even be considered somewhat equal, some do and are extremely intimidated, some do and really appreciate and recognize it.

All that being said my outside experience has been quite opposite. Usually will get comments or stares from fellow minorities who perceive me as classicist or uncle tom-ish despite not subscribing to either train of thought. Many of us are caught between a rock and hard place.

Being a minority and atheistic in belief I also find that establishing relationships and friendships with Americans who are white or Asian to be far less challenging, a breeze in fact. Most are interested in my view as its extremely rare. But again on the flip side I have dating experiences where their intentions haven't been genuine and I've been used to enrage their parents or simply for the "thrill" of dating a minority.

All in all I've learned to surround yourself with those who simply WANT to get to know you as a person. Topics of race come up but one shouldn't be offended as most are just curious by nature. I've never walked around with a chip on my shoulder despite hearing about the awful experiences my parents have had as children and young adults at the hand of white men and women. Such is the nature of man, those in power and with influence will continuously exploit such. Some learn how wrong and ridiculous it is, some dont. Live your life and travel outside of the states as much as you can.

Struck up a conversation with a older white guy at HPB while digging for records, we chatted for hours about "deliberate imperfections in music", mainly jazz (concert bass) and turns out he's a tattoo artist. Just so happens I need more work done. Some people just "get it" and you cant judge everyone based on isolated experiences.

...I've never had a racist or bad experience with ANY Canadian of ANY ethnicity there or here in the states.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 02-15-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
^^^yes. i grew up watching "white love" displayed on tv and in an area with very few blacks. when i first became interested in the opposite sex, all my crushes, real and celebrity, were white. i did not become interested in a black guy until the 8th grade. even as i found black men more attractive, i still had a certain type that i thought i preferred, light, "good hair", light eyes even. luckily by the time i got out of high school i had begun to shake the white supremacist programming. i did still date non blacks at that time, but mostly mexican american guys. but it is quite confusing being a minority growing up in this society when it comes to dating.
Yes, have you noticed that even "diverse" Disney channel programming is geared to whites. Every generation has its new white boy du jour. it used to be Zach Efron. Now they are grooming Ross Lynch. These guys may have nonwhite girlfriends at times, but Disney will never feature a nonwhite boy with a white girl. It's still a racist society despite that were always hearing that whites are a minority in the younger generations.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:09 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes, have you noticed that even "diverse" Disney channel programming is geared to whites. Every generation has its new white boy du jour. it used to be Zach Efron. Now they are grooming Ross Lynch. These guys may have nonwhite girlfriends at times, but Disney will never feature a nonwhite boy with a white girl. It's still a racist society despite that were always hearing that whites are a minority in the younger generations.
and God forbid a cast on Disney or Nickelodeon has a black male and a black female character on the same show at the same time. it's like they can only have one or the other.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
and God forbid a cast on Disney or Nickelodeon has a black male and a black female character on the same show at the same time. it's like they can only have one or the other.
Yep. It's weird to me how they do this. Obviously, the kids could care less. I don't think that most of their parents are so close minded either, except maybe those in the conservative states?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Whites ended slavery throughout the world during the colonial period.

That's a fact.

Whites didn't have to end it, but they did.

No one else was about to end it.

It would probably still exist on a large scale if it hadn't been for whites.
Technically here in the states slavery was merely one strategy in winning the Civil War. The end of slavery tanked the southern economy and cotton producing powerhouse. To say whites didn't have to end it but they did is a bit elitist, just as many died to keep it going as did to "end it".

But one thing no one seems to admit is that white men slaughtered white men by the thousands, on American soil. Blacks have never taken up arms in mass to revolt against whites. Even when given the rights and chance to do so. Instead of a Civil War there was a Civil Rights Movement, to which it was suppressed and the American government actively waged war to do so. I feel race relations would be in far better shape if EVERYONE put in an effort to learn ALL of American history and its impact on the nation and future generations. The Civil Rights Movement was a chance at reconciliation, yet such a large portion of this country opposed it violently. Why is that?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Sure....but Europe certainly held on to their colonies, now didn't they?
Please name Europe's current colonies.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Like I said, no dap, no credit, no brownie points.

Nothing.
And none to you either.

You'll have to take the anti-white dance elsewhere.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-15-2015 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
i have found that even white people who surround themselves with blacks have been socialized in a certain way and hold certain beliefs that are the result of white supremacy. I notice, for example, a lot of white women and men who date black people acknowledge that their is a premium placed on their whiteness. i have seen overweight, plain white women pursue very attractive black men and attempt, sometimes successfully, to compete with attractive black women for these men. sometimes it works, but what is interesting to see is when it doesn't work. many believe their whiteness entitles them to the attention of all black men. some black men aren't interested. i once told a black man who was pursuing me that my white female friend was interested in him and he asked, "do you think she is attractive?" i have also been hit on by some very entitled, old, and unattractive white men in my lifetime. some have said things to me i suspect they would be afraid to say to a young, attractive white woman. they thought their premium whiteness made me more attainable. white supremacy manifests itself in a million ways in america.
So everything for you comes down to looks?

Is that it?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
^^^yes. i grew up watching "white love" displayed on tv and in an area with very few blacks. when i first became interested in the opposite sex, all my crushes, real and celebrity, were white. i did not become interested in a black guy until the 8th grade. even as i found black men more attractive, i still had a certain type that i thought i preferred, light, "good hair", light eyes even. luckily by the time i got out of high school i had begun to shake the white supremacist programming.
I think it's a bit much calling the fact that you were a small minority among a big majority "white supremacist programming."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies