Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,733,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nah..I'm sure he'll settle for financial restitution.
What if one made the argument that slavery was the engine that broke the inertia of a new nation and set the foundation for it to become what it is today? Such would mean that whites today are being rewarded.....by not having to pay restitution. Getting the benefit of something without having to pay the cost, ergo.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,749,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What if one made the argument that slavery was the engine that broke the inertia of a new nation and set the foundation for it to become what it is today? Such would mean that whites today are being rewarded.....by not having to pay restitution. Getting the benefit of something without having to pay the cost, ergo.
Prove it

Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Prove it
Prove that the proof would change your mind

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM

17,663 posts, read 17,810,927 times
Why isn't this jerk in prison for tax evasion?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,006,185 times
It's disturbing how the Democrat party seems to be full of racist lunatics like Rangel.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,854,497 times
Quote:
I do not get how whites would be "punished". Do you mean like being drawn and quartered?
I agree with this. What sort of punishment?

He was speaking of reparations and not of "punishing white people."

OP, you should realize that there are many conservative media rags that sensationalize a variety of topics especially as they relate to racial issues. Charlie Rangel said nothing out of the ordinary for people who do feel that reparations, not monetarily based but healthcare based and educationally based, would be beneficial to black American descendants of slaves in today's world. That is not a "punishment" on white people. Whites aren't the only people in America mind you.

Also, it was odd that the article said the CBC took to the floor "en masse" as if some group of black thugs walked in and took over.

You should really think critically about the items you read online and not take headlines to be the truth. Honestly these sorts of articles and people's ignorant response to the headline without even looking at the substance of the words written is rather frightening that we have stooped to such a low level of critical thinking skills in this country.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Why isn't this jerk in prison for tax evasion?
Just another example of someone suffering from the "victim syndrome".....eh VICTIM OF GM?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. What sort of punishment?

He was speaking of reparations and not of "punishing white people."

OP, you should realize that there are many conservative media rags that sensationalize a variety of topics especially as they relate to racial issues. Charlie Rangel said nothing out of the ordinary for people who do feel that reparations, not monetarily based but healthcare based and educationally based, would be beneficial to black American descendants of slaves in today's world. That is not a "punishment" on white people. Whites aren't the only people in America mind you.

Also, it was odd that the article said the CBC took to the floor "en masse" as if some group of black thugs walked in and took over.

You should really think critically about the items you read online and not take headlines to be the truth. Honestly these sorts of articles and people's ignorant response to the headline without even looking at the substance of the words written is rather frightening that we have stooped to such a low level of critical thinking skills in this country.
Exactly! Would not the investment pay off in the long run if it reduced the percentage of blacks on welfare, in the criminal justice system....saving their precious tax dollars? If reparation increased per capita income of blacks, would not those dollars get spent in businesses, mostly white owned, creating increased revenues and profits?

Think about it. How much does socioeconomic inequality, the COST that blacks payed for oppression, cost whites today and how much would whites actually benefit from socioeconomic equality of reparations were designed to create it organically?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 AM

19,872 posts, read 12,164,754 times
Quote:
Just another example of someone suffering from the "victim syndrome".....eh VICTIM OF GM?
You cannot address his question so you make fun of his name? Quite rich considering your chosen name.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,680,794 times
Quote:
I am cool with that. Lets make everyone who was involved pay. The African Tribes who warred for captives to sell to Europeans, to the countries and people who profited from the slave trade, up to and including AMERICA.

Is that fair enough
So let me understand this. If you are of European decent, you pay because Europeans transported them to America where mainly people of European decent kept them as slaves. If you are of African decent, you pay because Africans sold the slaves to the Europeans.

How does having all white people and all black people pay reparations (I assume they'd just go to the government) help anyone? I see how the government would love the extra money to spend, but I'm not sure what it accomplishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.