Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Bigotry is exactly what I callled it.

Someone who wants to take away Doctors right to refuse the this patient into her practice

While keeping their own right to refuse the Doctor as babies physician if so desired

This is the mindset of a bigot, aside from the public lynching of this medical professional

Sorry but whatever world you live on which allows this kind of unfairness over basic rights is not part of mine.

This is the U.S, not a third world country.
I'm not talking about rights, I'm talking about professional ethics. So you would have no problem with the professional ethics of a doctor who refused to see a baby just because it's parents were an interracial couple?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
More of the same untruths you spread. Even after posting truth.

You know we can all read here right?

No treatment was necessary,it was a WELL BABY CHECK UP. Baby is ONLY 6 days old

Never been seen

You need to examine your own value system that after being corrected you keep slandering

about this medical professional.

It is wrong to support bigotry

If it was this Couple who refused to accept the Doctor you have no grounds for bad mouthing them either

This isn't a ONE SIDED discussion which only allows you to repeat the same untruths about a medical professional. Please play fair
You say it's 'wrong to support bigotry', yet that is exactly what you are doing. You are even "going the extra mile" by twisting this story around to blame the parents for the doctor's bigotry. You've gone even further to say that you think the parents should thank the doctor for her bigotry and unethical unprofessional insulting behaviour towards them.

Last edited by Ceist; 02-21-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You say it's 'wrong to support bigotry', yet that is exactly what you are doing. You are "going the extra mile" to support it.
You call it bigotry, from your point of view. It may be nothing more than prudence.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You call it bigotry, from your point of view. It may be nothing more than prudence.
How is it prudence to refuse to see a child because its parents are lesbians? It is outright bigotry is what it is.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Explain to me how it's prudent to violate your profession's code of ethics and refuse to provide medical care to a newborn because her parents are lesbians?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Then, why does a Christian business have to bake a cake for a gay wedding? Why can't it "pick and choose"?

I think I know why the doctor may have chosen as she did, but that would be off topic and open the proverbial can of worms.

Doctors do have a lot of money that could be tapped in the case of a lawsuit...just sayin'.
The bakery was not a christian bakery, the baker was christian, big difference when you twist words.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Doctors provide a service in exchange for money. Thus, they should be free to accept or refuse business based on whatever criteria they wish. I think it's dumb to turn down paying customers based on an externality that has no bearing on the service being performed, but I am a libertarian, and I believe in voluntary association...INCLUDING BUSINESS. The free market excels at punishing bad actors in the private business sphere, and everyone elft to their own devices would likely result in these two women giving that doctor all manner of well-deserved negative publicity, thus harming her future revenue based on her own voluntary choice. And for every one doctor out there unwilling to "form the relationship" with these women, probably a dozen are not only willing, but overjoyed at stealing some easy market share.
I don't agree with this position.

If I did, then I would say it is alright to refuse to serve blacks in your restaurant, or rent a room to a Jewish couple in your hotel even if it's the only hotel in town, or a hospital refusing to admit a Buddhist Asian-American at their Emergency Room.

The argument about "the free market" is something I don't buy ... from all historical evidence. Yes there are communities in our nation that wouldn't flinch if one minority group or another was oppressed, persecuted, and denied services.

The legal fact is, if you are providing a PUBLIC accommodation ... you can NOT legally discriminate for no other reason than it's your prejudice. If you have a valid reason - such as the client was abusive or disruptive - that's another story.

I am a landlord, I know. If I refused to rent to a gay or lesbian person in my city, I would be sued so quickly, lose my business license, and possibly thrown in jail. Do you know that?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Explain to me how it's prudent to violate your profession's code of ethics and refuse to provide medical care to a newborn because her parents are lesbians?
A reply to post 108 would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
I wonder what The American Academy Of Pediatrics will have to say about this. They have passed resolutions in favor of LGBT rights and went on record supporting marriage equality.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is like the "astroturf" thread. What's the point at this point? Everyone agree's (at the very least nearly everyone) that the doctor isn't very admirable. O.K.? Now what?

You want it a law that she must care for their baby? Is that really what is best for the baby? Isn't that what we should want? You want her punished? So she shuts her mouth and accepts them as clients? Is that what is best for the baby?

Feel free to correct me but isn't that what we all should want? Is this about you or the kid? So you feel slighted. IMO the answer is what is best for the kid. Life isn't always right or fair.
If interracial parents with a baby had found out that there was a doctor who had refused to see the baby of another interracial couple and had behaved in an insulting rude unprofessional way towards them just because they were interracial parents, it's not likely that they would want to see that doctor and trust her with the health of their baby.

Same thing here. Now lesbian parents know not to go see Dr Roi in the first place. They can choose an ethical less bigoted doctor to look after the health of their baby without having to be subjected to insulting unprofessional behavior.

Last edited by Ceist; 02-21-2015 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies